Confirmed with Link: Jesper Boqvist accepts qualifying offer, re-signs with Devils - 1 year, 2-way, $874,125

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Said it in the other thread, that AHL salary is woof. Hopefully it motivates him to make the big club and stay up.
He's subject to waivers now, so I would think he'd be making the team out of camp. It's just a question of if he'll be in the starting lineup or not, which I think he will be.

I'm surprised he didn't file for arbitration, I believe he was eligible for it?

I'd riot if Tyce Thompson gets more than him.

Rebuilt Better

Jul 20, 2022
Woulda been cool if the price was

$874,125.63 and 9/10th. use every number and get the fraction of a penny. Might not be the gas pump but itll do.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Said it in the other thread, that AHL salary is woof. Hopefully it motivates him to make the big club and stay up.
$70K is entry level contract $$$. They could have upped that maybe $30 more. He has shown more promise than that piddly amount.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Not the Jesper we're waiting on, but I like Boq.

Last season kind of made me think of how quick some people are to want a guy gone: there were a number of voices around online Devils spaces calling for Boqvist to go, saying he had not future or whatever, while ignoring first that he looked a lot better a couple seasons ago once they shifted him full-time to center (around the same time they took Zacha off center), and more importantly ignoring the fact that he was barely 22 friggin' years old. Dude's still a baby.

I'm not anticipating him becoming a star or anything, but I'd love to see him rise up and grab the 3C spot and hold it tight. I like what he brings to the table and this season could be a big chance for him.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He's subject to waivers now, so I would think he'd be making the team out of camp. It's just a question of if he'll be in the starting lineup or not, which I think he will be.

I'm surprised he didn't file for arbitration, I believe he was eligible for it?

I'd riot if Tyce Thompson gets more than him.
No, he gets arbitration rights next year. He’s playing for a real deal this season.

If we had cap space and less going on, like back in the day, maybe we throw him a little more money in two year deal but we don’t have the space.

Thompson applying for arbitration won’t get him more money, he has no argument for it. The only thing you can base your argument on in arbitration is NHL production and related statistics. He’s played 9 NHL games.

I have no idea why he filed for arbitration. I came up with reasons before, but f*** it, those were guesses. I give up. This off-season is too draining already.

Reactions: Bleedred

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Liked his improved in terms of offense but still leaves a lot to be desired defensively, if he wants to stay in NHL, he has to improve in this aspect.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
1 year kind of stinks here.
Meh. He's a guy that maybe pans out to a bottom six skill player that is best used as an injury fill in on a top six line for a couple of games. If he solidifies his spot in the lineup it's probably on that basis. He's not a guy you worry about keeping beyond his RFA years. Do you see him breaking out in some meaningful way this season? Maybe he can score 30-35 points? NJ clears a bunch of cap next offseason most likely so they can revisit this then if he improves. Right now the onus is still on Boquist to improve. I hope he can pick up where he left off and go from there.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
We don’t have the cap space this year for a two year deal.

Obviously they don't now, but I'd rather have let Wood walk than have to nickel and dime everyone else like this. Boqvist probably isn't here in 2023-24, it's just a numbers game and it's hard to see him staying, but a 2 year deal would've given him some more value.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I thought he finished the year very strong. He's currently behind Haula but with injuries and maybe an open LW spot he proves he's an everyday player next season and part of the future beyond this year.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Obviously they don't now, but I'd rather have let Wood walk than have to nickel and dime everyone else like this. Boqvist probably isn't here in 2023-24, it's just a numbers game and it's hard to see him staying, but a 2 year deal would've given him some more value.

It sure as shit looks like not qualifying Wood would have been the right call but Fitz can’t change that now even if he wanted to. 3m is going to Wood unless they negotiate the number down someway or trade him.

If plan along was giving Wood that price 1 year deal it was a dumb plan, he’ll be a UFA coming off a incomplete season but other GMs will be intrigued by the idea of having him in their bottom six. We’ll just be another bidder.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Wood stuff is becoming more of a hassle than he's worth.

''But wah! We're too soft! We can't just let Wood go!''.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It sure as shit looks like not qualifying Wood would have been the right call but Fitz can’t change that now even if he wanted to. 3m is going to Wood unless they negotiate the number down someway or trade him.

If plan along was giving Wood that price 1 year deal it was a dumb plan, he’ll be a UFA coming off a incomplete season but other GMs will be intrigued by the idea of having him in their bottom six. We’ll just be another bidder.
Wood is the kind of player that you REALLY don't want in his late 20's or early 30's..... Unless he's on a very friendly contract. $3 million per for a guy that's played 3 games in the last year and still remains sidelined 3 months after the season has concluded (and close to 4 months since he lastplayed) is not what I consider a friendly deal.

And I said the same about Zacha and Henrique, that we didn't want them in their UFA years, but for much different reasons.

Wood is the kind of player that doesn't age very well. And Wood coming off that kind of an injury is really one that will set the bulls running. Wood is the kind of player that even without the injury we would have really needed to strongly consider whether to keep or not going into his late 20's. Not too many players of Wood's like are hanging around at 30 years old with the same NHL team that drafted them anymore. They either became better than Wood is or they played for really cheap. And it's because there's a salary cap that Wood is the type of player that you really need to be wise about.

And Wood got injured last September? Or was it early October? Came back and played 3 games in April and as of the second week of July still hasn't skated again.

Wood will provide barely any value this coming season if I had to guess. Yes, the goalie situation sucks and they're overpaid (or just injured in Bernier's case), but they were already signed for this year and in Blackwood's case he was signed for this year at this salary two years ago.

Reactions: hidek91

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Wood is the kind of player that you REALLY don't want in his late 20's or early 30's..... Unless he's on a very friendly contract. $3 million per for a guy that's played 3 games in the last year and still remains sidelined 3 months after the season has concluded (and close to 4 months since he lastplayed) is not what I consider a friendly deal.

And I said the same about Zacha and Henrique, that we didn't want them in their UFA years, but for much different reasons.

Wood is the kind of player that doesn't age very well. And Wood coming off that kind of an injury is really one that will set the bulls running. Wood is the kind of player that even without the injury we would have really needed to strongly consider whether to keep or not going into his late 20's. Not too many players of Wood's like are hanging around at 30 years old with the same NHL team that drafted them anymore. They either became better than Wood is or they played for really cheap. And it's because there's a salary cap that Wood is the type of player that you really need to be wise about.

And Wood got injured last September? Or was it early October? Came back and played 3 games in April and as of the second week of July still hasn't skated again.

Wood will provide barely any value this coming season if I had to guess. Yes, the goalie situation sucks and they're overpaid (or just injured in Bernier's case), but they were already signed for this year and in Blackwood's case he was signed for this year at this salary two years ago.
I guess the hope is that they can make some salary space by moving Johnsson or Tatar and if at some point Bernier and/or Wood return they can use them to replace other injured players or facilitate other trades (like Blackwood).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad