Jersey Tuck Rule Still In Effect?

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Or has it been rescinded?

NYR are the team I view the most and throughout the season I'm seeing numerous instances of the players skating around on the ice with their jersey tucked in the back (often Chytil, Buchnevich, Zibanejad)...

Or are the refs just more lax on the matter and not enforcing the rule very strictly?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

NYR are the team I view the most and throughout the season I'm seeing numerous instances of the players skating around on the ice with their jersey tucked in the back (often Chytil, Buchnevich, Zibanejad)...

Or are the refs just more lax on the matter and not enforcing the rule very strictly?
Still exists... less enforcement.

Reactions: wolfgaze

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
What even is the point of tucking your jersey?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Now that the branding has been moved to the top of the jersey, I don't get why they even care that much anymore. I feel the thing with Gretzky that pissed the league off was he used to tuck in the side with the branding on it, hence why later in his career Gretzky got special jersey's where it was branded on both sides. Now with the branding above the nameplate, its less of an issue.

Reactions: cptjeff

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I instantly think of Jagr when someone mentions a tucked jersey lol. It's kind of like the "Forsberg" penalty. He wasn't even first with it, but people think of him when they see that move.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I honestly had no idea this was even a rule.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Ovechkin was one of the worst. The back pad was enormous :laugh:

091613_ovechkin.jpg

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
The rule still exists but i dont see it being enforced much. Which is pretty meh. There are bigger things to worry about on the ice than a jersey.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Kinda like the rule that states your visor can't be too high. I saw them call it on Komarov once and haven't heard a thing about it since.

I don't even know why he wears a visor, he played at a time when they weren't mandatory so that's not it. He keeps it so high that it really doesn't do anything.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Kinda like the rule that states your visor can't be too high. I saw them call it on Komarov once and haven't heard a thing about it since.

I don't even know why he wears a visor, he played at a time when they weren't mandatory so that's not it. He keeps it so high that it really doesn't do anything.

"In 2013, the NHL began requiring all players with less than 26 games of experience to wear visors"

Komarov's rookie season was 14/15 so he's forced to wear the visor.

But looking at pics of him from the KHL it looks like he wore a visor there too, not sure if they have a similar rule or not

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
"In 2013, the NHL began requiring all players with less than 26 games of experience to wear visors"

Komarov's rookie season was 14/15 so he's forced to wear the visor.

But looking at pics of him from the KHL it looks like he wore a visor there too, not sure if they have a similar rule or not
His rookie season was 2012/2013. 40ish games.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Now that the branding has been moved to the top of the jersey, I don't get why they even care that much anymore. I feel the thing with Gretzky that pissed the league off was he used to tuck in the side with the branding on it, hence why later in his career Gretzky got special jersey's where it was branded on both sides. Now with the branding above the nameplate, its less of an issue.

Yes, we would hate for players to show an individual personality. If this were the NBA, Michael Jordan would never have worn Airs; the NFL Jim McMahon would never have worn a headband and if the MLB, well...2/3 ain’t bad.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I get the visor thing more than the jersey tuck. It's a player safety/insurance premiums issue. I don't think tucking in a jersey makes any difference to your likelihood of getting injured. The only thing with the jersey tuck was that it hid branding which isn't even the case anymore.

Reactions: DaveG

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
After Semin was called for it when it slipped that way in the middle of a shift and the entire league bitched hockey ops out they really stopped enforcing it. They also changed the rule to "must be untucked at the start of a shift and may become tucked in during a shift" explicitly, which is probably part of it too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad