Jersey retirement?

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Now that lindros is officially in the national hockey league hall of fame, what are the chances we retire his jersey number? Has he earned the right to have his number in the rafters? Why or why not?

Sorry if this should be in another thread.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Now that lindros is officially in the national hockey league hall of fame, what are the chances we retire his jersey number? Has he earned the right to have his number in the rafters? Why or why not?

It's a good question, and I have no idea what the answer is. I think it wouldn't hurt anything in the long run, but I also think when you start to evaluate whether or not he "deserves" it from a perspective which includes what he actually accomplished - not his promise or talent, but what he actually got done in the NHL - as well as the context of our organizational history and all of the guys we have had whose numbers are not in the rafters ... I think that would make for a very complicated debate. I doubt that most people could keep it analytical and it would become very divisive depending on how individual people felt about him. I have been way more sympathetic toward him since I read that Canadian article about his home life after hockey and what he has had to deal with from the concussions, but I would probably be slightly against retiring his number. If they did it, I would be OK with it though and would understand why.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
It's a good question, and I have no idea what the answer is. I think it wouldn't hurt anything in the long run, but I also think when you start to evaluate whether or not he "deserves" it from a perspective which includes what he actually accomplished - not his promise or talent, but what he actually got done in the NHL - as well as the context of our organizational history and all of the guys we have had whose numbers are not in the rafters ... I think that would make for a very complicated debate. I doubt that most people could keep it analytical and it would become very divisive depending on how individual people felt about him. I have been way more sympathetic toward him since I read that Canadian article about his home life after hockey and what he has had to deal with from the concussions, but I would probably be slightly against retiring his number. If they did it, I would be OK with it though and would understand why.

Very good points, but thats what i want is a topic like this, we all have our feelings towards him, some good, some bad, some (probably most) mixed, but he was a generational talent, he was a flyer through and through, and my personal opinion, id love to see his jersey retired for us, that being said i know everyone has their own opinions and thats what i want to hear

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Since he's in the HoF and no Flyer is ever going to wear #88 again, they may as well retire it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think they will. It's a big event in regards to marketing so that's probably why it didn't happen yet. Last year you had a lot of stuff with the 50 anniversary going on. So they were/are probably saving this in the camber.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
He is now in the HHoF... and like Mark Howe, he should have his number retired and hung in the rafters along with the others there.

... In fact... and I have had heated debates over the years on this... when Mark Recchi goes in the HHoF, he also should have his number in the rafters... Rex should have been selected for the Hall before this.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
He is now in the HHoF... and like Mark Howe, he should have his number retired and hung in the rafters along with the others there.

... In fact... and I have had heated debates over the years on this... when Mark Recchi goes in the HHoF, he also should have his number in the rafters... Rex should have been selected for the Hall before this.

88 will be retired, I would think.

I'm against 8 being retired if/when Recchi makes it to the Hall. Lindros defined the team for the better part of a decade. Recchi had some great years here but was at best 2nd wheel the first time around and wasn't even that the second.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
88 will be retired, I would think.

I'm against 8 being retired if/when Recchi makes it to the Hall. Lindros defined the team for the better part of a decade. Recchi had some great years here but was at best 2nd wheel the first time around and wasn't even that the second.

IF???? It would be a crime if Rex was never selected to the HHoF... Look at his all-time NHL stats and standing... and his Rings... As I said, he should be in there already.

Keep in mind that his 123 Points IIRC is the Flyers standard that may never be beat... He was traded for LeClair and Rico and I forget who else (at this time) and was not easy to give up if not for the needs he brought he would have had a longer continuous stay here... they refused to include him in the Lidros mega-deal, giving up Forsberg instead... and if Clarke hadn't been afraid to give out contracts -- except for that gift contract Primeau accepted-- as they went into the lockout Rex was prepared to retire a Flyer and live in Haddonfield... Recchi was a key Flyer fhere for quite a well and had some real great Seasons here also. He was not the sexy Player Lindros was here... but he was a loyal soldier for quite a while and IMO deserves the honor... He should be the next Flyer in the PFHoF as I see it.

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
Since he's in the HoF and no Flyer is ever going to wear #88 again, they may as well retire it.

I really hate that the Flyers only retire a number if the players gets into the HoF. Other than Ashbee, they don't do it.

Brian Propp should have his number retired. I don't care what the HoF says. #2 all time in goals AND assists for the Flyers and #3 in points.

Other franchises have retired numbers despite the player not being in the HoF.

A HoF induction is based on NHL career. A Flyers retired number should just be based on Flyers career.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I consider number retirement an honor only worthy of the most hallowed legends.

I consider Eric Lindros a great player who won 1 Hart Trophy in Philly during 8 injury plagued seasons where he was a major part of only 1 long playoff run.

Not enough for number retirement in my book.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I consider number retirement an honor only worthy of the most hallowed legends.

I consider Eric Lindros a great player who won 1 Hart Trophy in Philly during 8 injury plagued seasons where he was a major part of only 1 long playoff run.

Not enough for number retirement in my book.

You know how many players have won a Hart trophy in the 50 years the Flyers have been in existence? 2. Clarke, and Lindros

You know how many players with more than 5 years on the Flyers are in the Hockey Hall of Fame? 5. Clarke, Barber, Parent, Howe, and Lindros

If Lindros is not a "Hallowed Legend" then Mark Howe and Bill Barber aren't anywhere close to one. Should they not be in as well?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
You know how many players have won a Hart trophy in the 50 years the Flyers have been in existence? 2. Clarke, and Lindros

You know how many players with more than 5 years on the Flyers are in the Hockey Hall of Fame? 5. Clarke, Barber, Parent, Howe, and Lindros

If Lindros is not a "Hallowed Legend" then Mark Howe and Bill Barber aren't anywhere close to one. Should they not be in as well?

I think Barber and Howe probably shouldn't have their numbers retired.

Icedog2735

Aug 19, 2006
Stratford, CT

You know how many Stanley Cups Lindros won? Zero.

I know that argument falls apart with Howe but I think times have changed and in 2017 with an organization that is one of the model franchises in the league and who is absolutely starved for a Stanley Cup that is what it is going to take, right or wrong.

Not saying necessarily that Lindros doesn't deserve it because he was the face of the franchise for a long time, but I think the way he left the Flyers coupled with the thirst for someone, anyone to deliver a Cup keeps him off the list right now.

I could even see an argument made for retiring G's #28 if he captains the team to a Cup before Lindros' #88. That's how badly the fan base, city, and organization want a championship and the length they would go to honor delivering one.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I think Barber and Howe probably shouldn't have their numbers retired.

You are in the vast minority. The Flyers already have one of the strictest policies to retire #s. You either win a cup with a team and are a big part of the Cup win, or you get inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. The Hall is the more important/more gravitas of the 2. You are not just being acknowledged by the hometown team. You are being acknowledged by the entirety of the hockey world and forever enshrined as an elite member of the entire hockey community.

@Icedog, yes obviously if G captains a team to a cup he will have his # retired. As I pointed out, the Flyers already employ one of the strictest policies to get honored in that way. And currently the only player without his number retired that meets their criteria is Lindros, and he clearly was a player who made an impact in his time here, both in Philadelphia and through out the league as a whole. The organization has changed so much since 2012 to now that they are going to back off from retiring "The Next One's" number? It's a unique number to him to begin with anyway. It'll be retired this coming season. Guarenteed, lock it in, and tickets for that game will be expensive as hell, probably against the Rangers.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
You are in the vast minority. The Flyers already have one of the strictest policies to retire #s. You either win a cup with a team and are a big part of the Cup win, or you get inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. The Hall is the more important/more gravitas of the 2. You are not just being acknowledged by the hometown team. You are being acknowledged by the entirety of the hockey world and forever enshrined as an elite member of the entire hockey community.

Like I said, I consider Eric Lindros a great player who won 1 Hart Trophy in Philly during 8 injury plagued seasons where he was a major part of only 1 long playoff run. If he had a longer Flyers career or more playoff success, then I'd think of him as a guy whose number belongs in the Flyers' rafters, but that's not how it went.

Doesn't matter, though, because he certainly will have his number retired, as ownership isn't going to pass up that type of huge moneymaking event.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Like I said, I consider Eric Lindros a great player who won 1 Hart Trophy in Philly during 8 injury plagued seasons where he was a major part of only 1 long playoff run. If he had a longer Flyers career or more playoff success, then I'd think of him as a guy whose number belongs in the Flyers' rafters, but that's not how it went.

Doesn't matter, though, because he certainly will have his number retired, as ownership isn't going to pass up that type of huge moneymaking event.

I agree with this but would also add all the drama and grief that surrounded him is an additional reason I don't think it should necessarily go up. When I think of Lindros I think of the drama and the injuries and what could have been. I said all along I would not have voted him into the HOF and I also wouldn't want his numbers hanging up in the rafters.

Icedog2735

Aug 19, 2006
Stratford, CT
I agree with this but would also add all the drama and grief that surrounded him is an additional reason I don't think it should necessarily go up. When I think of Lindros I think of the drama and the injuries and what could have been. I said all along I would not have voted him into the HOF and I also wouldn't want his numbers hanging up in the rafters.

I have to agree with this. When I think of 88's time in Philadelphia I think of him getting knocked out by Scott Stevens before I think of his play in the 1997 Cup Final run.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I wouldn't have voted him into the HOF, but with that done, it would seem odd for him to be in the hall but not in the rafters.

I understand the case for being in the rafters better than the hall. He represented an era of Flyers hockey.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I was using an on-ice evaluation only. But certainly if there's a tiebreaker you're going to lean against hanging the number from the rafters of a player who accused the organization of trying to kill him.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I wouldn't have voted him into the HOF, but with that done, it would seem odd for him to be in the hall but not in the rafters.

I understand the case for being in the rafters better than the hall. He represented an era of Flyers hockey.

Yeah, I'm almost certain he will get it retired, I just won't be cheering when it goes up. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I wonder how Ed Snider felt about all this? He and Clarke had some not so kind words for him back in the day. I assume they buried the hatchet but did they bury it enough to elevate him to the same level as the others up there?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I was using an on-ice evaluation only. But certainly if there's a tiebreaker you're going to lean against hanging the number from the rafters of a player who accused the organization of trying to kill him.

:laugh: I hear you, but I think we're beyond all that. Bury the hatchet. Retire the #. Have a little good will. Fences mended, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad