OT: Jersey Question

PredsChik

Aug 10, 2009
Smyrna, TN
I'm planning on stripping my Suter Black and Blue jersey over the weekend. If my methods work, I'd like to put Wilson #33 on it but have run into a snag...

The Predators no longer offer lettering on any jersey that's not the new gold style (the girl even told me she could put the gold letters on it, wtf?).

Does anyone know of a place, local or send off, that will be able to letter the older jerseys. I've also got the most recent previous road white that I'm looking to letter.

Thanks!

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
http://www.icejerseys.com/

They should be able to do it considering I had them customize a 1992 Hartford Whalers jersey haha. Definitely talk to a representative though just to make sure. They do a pretty good job (better than the Reebok Indo-Authentic plate / numbering sold on NHL.com; not sure about the pro shop), but the turnaround time can be somewhat slow during the season.

I'm actually in the same situation that you are; I have a thirds Suter jersey that I need to get recustomized. I've been putting it off though because we lost like 2/3 of the games I wore it for last year so I irrationally now assume it is cursed.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
http://exclusivepro.com/

EPS has the fonts to do the black and blues as well. You can ship it off to them or order a lettering kit to have it sewn up locally. I think they charge $50 for just customization, more if you want them to strip it for you as well.

MeiGray also has a blank, team issued black and blue up on ebay right now. Based on past sales, I expect it to go for around $120 ... just in case the strip job doesn't work out because sometimes the residue under the numbers and nameplate don't always disappear.

Here's a forum that discusses stripping a jersey.
http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=4027

golfmade

Go Preds Go
Dec 30, 2002
Idahoan in Taiwan
Sorry to say I have no advice, but I love my Preds jersey because it says Vokoun, and funny enough last semester in grad school a classmate from Czechoslovakia saw me wearing it one day and she was so happy to see it. :laugh:

PredsChik

Aug 10, 2009
Smyrna, TN
Thanks guys. First step is getting the name off, I'll post if it worked tomorrow.

I know from browsing ebay that you can find lettering kits, any idea if they look the way they're supposed to? If not, I'll probably send it off to one of the first 2 sites posted.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
Thanks guys. First step is getting the name off, I'll post if it worked tomorrow.

I know from browsing ebay that you can find lettering kits, any idea if they look the way they're supposed to? If not, I'll probably send it off to one of the first 2 sites posted.

Ask @codeyh here or on twitter who he used for him mustard jersey. They did a nice job. If you want local, maybe Sports Seasons?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005

If you look at the linked thread about stripping a jersey, plan to take your time on this project. Depending how well the customization was originally done, this can be as simple as taking a thread cutter around the edges of the numbers and nameplate and pulling the lose items off to facing melted glue residue that simply doesn't want to let go of the shirt. Read up before you start working on it and be prepared to have your patience tested.

The last time I checked Sports Seasons, they shipped the jerseys out to a 3rd party.

PredsChik

Aug 10, 2009
Smyrna, TN
If you want local, maybe Sports Seasons?

No luck, stopped by the 'boro store over lunch, they stopped sending them out last season.

I do find it pretty sucky that we're 2 weeks into a second season of the gold jerseys and the pro-shop has already stopped offering the older lettering. 5 jerseys have been used over the past 3 years and now they only give options for 2.

PredsChik

Aug 10, 2009
Smyrna, TN
If you look at the linked thread about stripping a jersey, plan to take your time on this project. Depending how well the customization was originally done, this can be as simple as taking a thread cutter around the edges of the numbers and nameplate and pulling the lose items off to facing melted glue residue that simply doesn't want to let go of the shirt. Read up before you start working on it and be prepared to have your patience tested.

It was heat pressed on at the pro-shop, you can see the adhesive on the back, I've got my works heat gun but am trying the acetone method I've found on a few different sites when searching for how to remove heat pressed letters from a hockey jersey.

If it ruins the jersey, it'll be in a better state than it is with his name on it now... :whatever:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
It was heat pressed on at the pro-shop, you can see the adhesive on the back, I've got my works heat gun but am trying the acetone method I've found on a few different sites when searching for how to remove heat pressed letters from a hockey jersey.

If it ruins the jersey, it'll be in a better state than it is with his name on it now... :whatever:

So a full day of sniffing acetone fumes with a lot of work to peel off the jersey. Too much fun for me.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN

Just make sure to not reach the LEL (lower explosive limit) on acetone while using the heat gun!! Doesn't take a lot to flash...

PredsChik

Aug 10, 2009
Smyrna, TN
So a full day of sniffing acetone fumes with a lot of work to peel off the jersey. Too much fun for me.
If you're going to be crafty, might as well have fun!

Just make sure to not reach the LEL (lower explosive limit) on acetone while using the heat gun!! Doesn't take a lot to flash...
Noted. May leave the heat gun at work... or try it first and put it away after the chemicals have been brought out.

Last edited:

PredsChik

Aug 10, 2009
Smyrna, TN
so, yeah.

The acetone got the letters off but left a hellish amount of adhesive behind. It's in the wash at the moment but I'm not thinking the jersey will be usable but I'd love to be wrong.

I did enjoy ripping the name plate and numbers off and the fumes weren't terrible. I do work in a body shop and can't smell most of the fumes there anymore though...

Cashville-- I'd suggest letting whatever company you send it to strip it for you.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
so, yeah.

The acetone got the letters off but left a hellish amount of adhesive behind. It's in the wash at the moment but I'm not thinking the jersey will be usable but I'd love to be wrong.

I did enjoy ripping the name plate and numbers off and the fumes weren't terrible. I do work in a body shop and can't smell most of the fumes there anymore though...

Cashville-- I'd suggest letting whatever company you send it to strip it for you.

I made a wooden shelf and bowl in woodshop in 8th grade; that was the pinnacle of my craftsmanship career. I can barely make frozen mac and cheese without lighting something on fire. I will absolutely send it off to someone else to deal with haha. Sorry your project didn't pan out as planned; it's all Suter's fault!

PredsChik

Aug 10, 2009
Smyrna, TN
Eh, I went to Sport Seasons, they had 1 size large at the 'boro store and I bought it. The guy even gave me 15% off after hearing my story. It was right around what the ones on ebay were going for and I'd rather not take my chances at passing and not finding another a little later on.

My brother and I just made a fire in the back yard and burned the other one. More fun than scrubbing with a toothbrush.

Thanks for the help with the customization sites!

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Eh, I went to Sport Seasons, they had 1 size large at the 'boro store and I bought it. The guy even gave me 15% off after hearing my story. It was right around what the ones on ebay were going for and I'd rather not take my chances at passing and not finding another a little later on.

My brother and I just made a fire in the back yard and burned the other one. More fun than scrubbing with a toothbrush.

Thanks for the help with the customization sites!

Cool. Now I can beg my wife for some money and bid on the black and blue that MeiGray has on ebay in Wilson's size.

I doubt she'll say yes to yet another hockey jersey.

codeyh

May 20, 2009
Cellblock 303
www.section303.com
I'll never use anyone other than Exclusive Pro Sports for my jerseys... they did a stellar job on stripping my mustard and putting a different name/number on it.

The NHL uses EPS for All-Star games and other events, they're legit.

Granted, I only get stitch name/numbers done.. never heat pressed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad