OT: Jersey Numbers & Making them More Meaningful

CoolburnIsGone

I was thinking about this the other day since we technically don't have any number retired yet. I personally think it would be kinda cool to set aside numbers that are only for the key players for us long term. I believe back in the day that the Yankees did this too as they had Ruth with #3, then Gehrig with #4, DiMaggio was #5, Mantle was #7, Yogi Berra was #8, Marris was #9, Rizzuto was #10, and Whitey Ford was #15. All those guys' numbers are retired (one number in that group is #2 and is currently Derek Jeter who's number will be retired eventually).

I can see a pattern that we have currently and think we should keep it going. First thing I'd like to see is Shore change his number back to #15 like he wore in Denver. So far we have it going like this: Weiss is #9, Huberdeau is #11, and Fleischmann is #14. So here's the first 25 numbers and who I could see wearing them in the future or who we need to free up. These numbers really should ONLY be given to our better players who will be around long term.

#1 - ??
#2 - ??
#3 - Petrovic (currently wears this in AHL)
#4 - Ellerby (wouldnt mind freeing this up too)
#5 - Matheson (currently wears at BC)
#6 - ??
#7 - Kulikov
#8 - I'd like Bjugstad (his uncle wore this number his last season in the NHL)
#9 - Weiss
#10 - ?? (Corban Knight is currently #10 at ND so this could be a maybe)
#11 - Huberdeau
#12 - Currently Skille but lets free this up :D
#13 - ?? (freed up now that Santorelli is demoted)
#14 - Fleischmann
#15 - Shore (once he changes it)
#16 - ??
#17 - Currently Kuba but lets free this up :D
#18 - Matthias
#19 - Grimaldi (wears it at ND now) instead of Upshall
#20 - Currently Bergenheim but lets free this up :D
#21 - Howden (he was this number in WHL)
#22 - Currently Parros (could be freed up)
#23 - Currently Strachan (could be freed up)
#24 - ??
#25 - Markstrom (once Smithson is gone)

Guys like Campbell, Jovo, Gudbranson, Mueller, & Versteeg shouldnt change their numbers either but I just was thinking it would be cool to keep some of those lower numbers saved for the best players in our franchise. Personally, I dont like seeing anyone wear #27 since that was Mellanby's number and he meant so much to the franchise. But the guys I have pegged for other iconic numbers like #3 (Laus) & #5 (Gordie Murphy) would symbolize those same guys too in Petrovic & Matheson, respectively. Like whoever gets #24 has to embody the play of a guy like Svehla to keep the true meaning of the number IMO. And #20 should also be important too to reflect a guy like Skrudland IMO, dont just give that number to anyone who wants it.

Here's a link to the all-time numbers with the players wearing them in our franchise:
http://panthers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=60845

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
This would be cool but my guess is players are too superstitious. It's funny how much the guy who wears 27 today plays the opposite of our best #27. One guy coasts, the other gave his all.

I like shore as 50. I'm a fan of the unorthodox numbers. I wonder if he'll change it if he keeps playing well.

CoolburnIsGone

This would be cool but my guess is players are too superstitious. It's funny how much the guy who wears 27 today plays the opposite of our best #27. One guy coasts, the other gave his all.

I like shore as 50. I'm a fan of the unorthodox numbers. I wonder if he'll change it if he keeps playing well.
Tell me about it with Kovalev vs Mellanby. But thats why I'm saying, we shouldn't as a franchise just give players whatever number they want because they've always worn it. The franchise is trying to re-establish its identity more like bringing back the red in our uniform (now making it the most prominent thing) and bringing in players with character. I think they should just continue it with assigning numbers too to players that embody the meaning of being a "Panther". If those players dont embody that number, then they can choose to play elsewhere or pick a different number.

Only thing is Shore's twitter account is I believe @Drew_Shore15 so I think it would make sense to change his number back to that. I assume he's probably waiting until he's considered as a key member of the franchise and sticking around to change it. I think he goes back to #15 next season though, just IMO.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Shore is only wearing #50 because that's what they gave him in training camp. He's not going to change it this year since he's not in a position to change it. If he makes the team out of training camp next season, he has the freedom to select a number. I hope he chooses #15 since that's the number he wore at Denver.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
I'm more for letting players use numbers they wore previous, unless it's already taken or retired. Trying to live up to the meaning behind a number worn by the player previous is a bit unfair. No one deserves that kind of pressure.

One change I would like is positional numbers like in the NFL. Not sure if there is much of a need for it though like football though. Not too many positional rulings to consider.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
So, what you're saying is that the players right to choose which ever number they like should be taken away if they aren't that "good players", just because that number has a history with other teams? Sounds kinda ridiculous to me.

Shore is only wearing #50 because that's what they gave him in training camp. He's not going to change it this year since he's not in a position to change it. If he makes the team out of training camp next season, he has the freedom to select a number. I hope he chooses #15 since that's the number he wore at Denver.
I don't think we'll have to wait that long. If Shore keeps his current play up, he won't be sent down anymore and thus makes his place permanent with the big club, and that could open the door for a number he likes.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
So, what you're saying is that the players right to choose which ever number they like should be taken away if they aren't that "good players", just because that number has a history with other teams? Sounds kinda ridiculous to me.

I don't think we'll have to wait that long. If Shore keeps his current play up, he won't be sent down anymore and thus makes his place permanent with the big club, and that could open the door for a number he likes.

No. I'm not saying that at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad