Post-Game Talk: Jerry Forton Post Draft Interview

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The chain of events, if we take Kasper at 7 (I like Savoie more than Kasper and I've been talking about this all year), then Yzerman can take Savoie at 8. At 9 maybe we take Lekkerimäki.

For me Savoie + Ostlund > Kasper + Lekkerimaki

Or they still could have taken Savoie at #7 and either got an even higher player on their list at #9, or traded back a few spots to pick up another couple of picks (2nd + 3rd/4th) and still taken Ostlund.

If we mean what we say when we say "trust our scouts", then we can trust the fact they obviously thought this was a move worth making and played out the scenarios in much better detail than you or me or other people on these message boards.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Or they still could have taken Savoie at #7 and either got an even higher player on their list at #9, or traded back a few spots to pick up another couple of picks (2nd + 3rd/4th) and still taken Ostlund.

If we mean what we say when we say "trust our scouts", then we can trust the fact they obviously thought this was a move worth making and played out the scenarios in much better detail than you or me or other people on these message boards.
Yes, but I was talking specifically about the development of events if they take Kasper at 7. Well, what to do, the trade did not happen and I will not tear my hair out because of this, I am very pleased with our draft, we move on.

Reactions: beerme1

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
You watch that video and think how much did TM and JB really suck as gm's and humans?

That is a sad reality to take away from his interview. Screw them. Happy we've moved on. A lot of people bitched about giving Kevyn the job but it appears to be an inspiring choice. Good for him, good for us, good for everybody apparently.

Reactions: Reddawg and Club

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Not sure if this has the part at the end where he breaks down a little, but this guy has gone through some hell in the Sabres org and it seems like Adams was the guy who heeled the org. Kinda choked me up to see someone get so emotional.

This has the makings of a great beer commercial.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Not sure if this has the part at the end where he breaks down a little, but this guy has gone through some hell in the Sabres org and it seems like Adams was the guy who heeled the org. Kinda choked me up to see someone get so emotional.

Pretty sure that was Pegula :)

Let's hope Adams heals it

Reactions: pf8363

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
You watch that video and think how much did TM and JB really suck as gm's and humans?
I'm sure they were pretty awful to work under, but I think him being emotional was a moment of thinking about Kim. No doubt Kevyn Adams seems like an awesome boss who really let's everyone be involved in the process though.

Reactions: Reddawg

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
One thing of note to keep in mind for future drafts by this regime: While talking about how comfortable their staff is scouting Swedish players, Forton listed three organizations in the SHL that they believe are great at developing players. Orebro, Frolunda, and Rogle.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
One thing of note to keep in mind for future drafts by this regime: While talking about how comfortable their staff is scouting Swedish players, Forton listed three organizations in the SHL that they believe are great at developing players. Orebro, Frolunda, and Rogle.
They probably didn't like Leksands very much, but by the way they also took Ostlund, who plays in Djurgardens. I hope they don't hinder its development.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Pham was on wgr this evening and said that a big part of his emotions had to do with Kim's health and how hard it's been on the front office over the past month.
That's what I figured. I'm not sure how public her condition is, but I heard from a guy who works somewhat adjacent to the org that it was pretty bad.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
This makes me think of that great Laine/Aho/Pulju line. Everyone was so focused on the wingers for that draft but anyone who watched that world juniors run knows it was Aho driving everything. In retrospect, we should have known he'd be the best player of the 3, and he is IMO, or at least the most valuable. Hopefully the Sabres picked the Aho of that dominant Swede line.
On the flip side of the coin, everyone thought the center Grigorenko drove his line in the Q, when in retrospect it wasn't true.

Makes me wonder -- is there a definitive way to determine who is driving play, or is there no agreement on this (just like everything else when it comes to prospects)?

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
On the flip side of the coin, everyone thought the center Grigorenko drove his line in the Q, when in retrospect it wasn't true.

Makes me wonder -- is there a definitive way to determine who is driving play, or is there no agreement on this (just like everything else when it comes to prospects)?
I'm sure there are certain analytics that somewhat correlate to line drivers sparsely, but like any stat numbers don't really tell the full story when there are so many variables involved. Off. zone entry % is probably a good start, but I'd bet every team has their own things they specifically value.

That's why at the end of the day statistics are great as a validation tool, but just watching how someone plays and interacts with teammates/opponents will always be essential.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm sure there are certain analytics that somewhat correlate to line drivers sparsely, but like any stat numbers don't really tell the full story when there are so many variables involved. Off. zone entry % is probably a good start, but I'd bet every team has their own things they specifically value.

That's why at the end of the day statistics are great as a validation tool, but just watching how someone plays and interacts with teammates/opponents will always be essential.
Gotcha. So in short, "driving the line" is jujst an opinion that can't be measured or proven. Everyone has their own definition of what that even means.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Gotcha. So in short, "driving the line" is jujst an opinion that can't be measured or proven. Everyone has their own definition of what that even means.
I was speaking mostly from what I was seeing subjectively, but if you wanted to put some numbers behind it I imagine you'd want took at:

- Total puck possession time
- zone entries and exits compared to linemates
- # of completed passes to his linemates and vice versa
- Point production when playing with other linemates (if applicable) for comparison

I dont know if any of this exists for an under 18 tournament, but if it did I would factor it into my opinion.

Without that though, my subjective impression was that he had most of the puck, was the one exiting the dzone most often with the puck, connecting his teammates with passes, and creating scoring opportunities for them. It was not lopsided though. Part of what made that line so effective was their cohesion and fluidity, which required all of them to be good with and without the puck.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

How was it not true that Greg ran his line? Greg came to the NHL too soon and didn't get the professional work he needed prior to moving to the NHL. There is also attitude there, at least from what some who followed his stint in Columbus have said.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I have not read the whole thread, so I apologize if this has been said before. I heard Forton's comments with his breakdown on the radio today and I wanted to come here today to post something about it, but couldn't think of where - and then I saw this thread.

I don't even know where to start so maybe it's this - I could not be prouder to to be a Sabres fan than I am right now - after having seen Forton's comments for the first time. The impact that Kevyn Adams on the culture of this organization has been remarkable. We've seen it on the ice, with the coaches and players. We've seen how they've done with special events like RJ and Ryan Miller. And now we've seen the impact that the culture change has had on people like Forton and the scouts.

To see Forton break down like that as he just tried to iterate the impact that Adam and the Pegulas have had on turning things around here was a remarkable display of raw emotion and, I would say happiness....and thankfulness. Forton said the P word - Pegulas - when talking about the positivity. The players did too at the Heritage Classic. He talked about the respect that is exhibited every day through the organization for every person at every level. I just wish the fans in the community and especially here on this board would open their eyes, hearts, and minds to the transformation that is happening right in front of us.

I don't want to prattle on much longer, so I'll close with this. Somewhere in the post draft analysis is a comment about the selection of the Finnish goalie that went something like this - "So Pegula calls up Adams and says take a goalie - now. So Adams takes the guy from Finland"..... and misses out on whoever (my words. The past few days I have seen more asinine statements akin to this one than at any time I've seen on this board. The vitriol over picks was over the top, in my opinion.

I just feel sad that there is such a large contingent here who are so unhappy with what had been going on in the Sabres organization to not see and feel what is going on right in front of them. All I know is I am enjoying the ride right now.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
How was it not true that Greg ran his line? Greg came to the NHL too soon and didn't get the professional work he needed prior to moving to the NHL. There is also attitude there, at least from what some who followed his stint in Columbus have said.
I just assumed it was true because his skills never carried over to any other setting besides the Q, while his linemate has made every center he's played with since then look just as good as Greg looked. Kind of easy math there, though as I said earlier, it's not so easy for me to determine who's driving play a lot of the time. Sometimes it's obvious, but often it's not -- especially when you don't know what the coach is asking each player to do.

Also, isn't attitude part of driving play? I can't see someone being a serious play driver and have a bad work ethic. They kind of go hand in hand.

Anyway, that's interetsing that you think he had those play driving skills but lost them as he developed -- or rather, never contiunued to develop those play driving skills, so he lost them at higher levels. Makes sense to me.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I just assumed it was true because his skills never carried over to any other setting besides the Q, while his linemate has made every center he's played with since then look just as good as Greg looked. Kind of easy math there, though as I said earlier, it's not so easy for me to determine who's driving play a lot of the time. Sometimes it's obvious, but often it's not -- especially when you don't know what the coach is asking each player to do.

Also, isn't attitude part of driving play? I can't see someone being a serious play driver and have a bad work ethic. They kind of go hand in hand.

Anyway, that's interetsing that you think he had those play driving skills but lost them as he developed -- or rather, never contiunued to develop those play driving skills, so he lost them at higher levels. Makes sense to me.

Wait, what? When has Anthony Duclair driven his line and made his centers look good? Or Adam Erne for that matter. Holy crap man, it's clear you didn't watch Grigorenko in the Q.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Wait, what? When has Anthony Duclair driven his line and made his centers look good? Or Adam Erne for that matter. Holy crap man, it's clear you didn't watch Grigorenko in the Q.
I was thinking more of Kucherov, who he played on a line with for two of the world junior tourneys. I mostly only saw highlights of the actual season under Roy.

Also, it was ten years ago, and my first season watching other leagues besides NHL -- also you'd be shocked at my memory of events that happened even three years ago.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was thinking more of Kucherov, who he played on a line with for two of the world junior tourneys. I mostly only saw highlights of the actual season under Roy.

Also, it was ten years ago, and my first season watching other leagues besides NHL -- also you'd be shocked at my memory of events that happened even three years ago.

Ah, okay, I was thinking you were talking about their fling together with the Remparts. :biglaugh: Greg was a very good Q scorer on his own and played with Erne and Duclair mostly, then Logan Shaw and Duclair. He did play a couple of games in the Q with Kuch when the Remparts were trying to figure out what to do with having three imports - they chose to keep Sorenson and Grigorenko and dealt Kucherov off to Rouyn-Noranda. Both had already been drafted (2011 for Kuch, 2012 for Greg) when they had their brief reunion in Quebec City.

Also, I hear you on memory. I haven't written a check in almost three years and have no idea where (or even if I have) a check book for my online account any more. :biglaugh:

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Ah, okay, I was thinking you were talking about their fling together with the Remparts. :biglaugh: Greg was a very good Q scorer on his own and played with Erne and Duclair mostly, then Logan Shaw and Duclair. He did play a couple of games in the Q with Kuch when the Remparts were trying to figure out what to do with having three imports - they chose to keep Sorenson and Grigorenko and dealt Kucherov off to Rouyn-Noranda. Both had already been drafted (2011 for Kuch, 2012 for Greg) when they had their brief reunion in Quebec City.

Also, I hear you on memory. I haven't written a check in almost three years and have no idea where (or even if I have) a check book for my online account any more. :biglaugh:

It would be cool if Florida could figure out a way to sign Max Domi and put the Reinhart / Duclair / Domi line back together from the WJC once Duclair is back playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad