Post-Game Talk: Jerry Forton Post Draft Interview

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think Forton always has great answers and goes into detail with everything. Pretty much none of the fluff you are tired of hearing "it's a situation" etc.

You can tell that he's tired and that he's been through a lot over the years with the Sabres. Especially when asked about Adams at the end. Imagine working for Botts AND Murray?

On phone and struggling to share the video, it's worth watching and he explains the goalie pick really well:

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Not sure if this has the part at the end where he breaks down a little, but this guy has gone through some hell in the Sabres org and it seems like Adams was the guy who heeled the org. Kinda choked me up to see someone get so emotional.
very honest and his mark is all over the last couple drafts. I believe he has Adam's trust explicitly.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Not sure if this has the part at the end where he breaks down a little, but this guy has gone through some hell in the Sabres org and it seems like Adams was the guy who heeled the org. Kinda choked me up to see someone get so emotional.

It's there. I choked up as well. It's easy to identify with victims of bad management. We are extremely frustrated with all the dumb picks and wasted opportunities, imagine actually being a good scout and then have Murray throwing away the 2015 draft picks for his favourite psychos.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
It's there. I choked up as well. It's easy to identify with victims of bad management. We are extremely frustrated with all the dumb picks and wasted opportunities, imagine actually being a good scout and then have Murray throwing away the 2015 draft picks for his favourite psychos.
Yeah I would guess it wasn't direct mistreatment, but a pretty large sense of unfulfillment and banging your head against the wall, which will certainly weigh on people who put the time and effort, like these guys do.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Yeah I would guess it wasn't direct mistreatment, but a pretty large sense of unfulfillment and banging your head against the wall, which will certainly weigh on people who put the time and effort, like these guys do.
Mismanagement and laziness among bosses leads to a higher burn out rate than bosses that actively bully their employees. It sort of leaves people drifting in a sea of hopelessness and they don't even have a clear enemy to direct their anger towards. Leadership limbo and incompetence is worse than being mistreated.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Some tidbits….he said all three first round picks were in their top 15 and that Neuchev was the third highest Russian on their board. The latter makes me think Miro was off their board due to medicals...but maybe they did like Neuchev more than Gleb. But I’d have thought they would like Gleb so I dunno.

as for all three being in the top 15 on their board…I believe it. They have a type they like and all three have high end of all of it. They’d have taken Cooley over Wright…I’m convinced. Of course this would have meant a bit more before it happened irl…but still.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Leadership is a thing. And it doesn’t require subject matter expertise.

Transitioning from military to civilian life, the weirdest thing is see is promoting good workers to leadership roles because they did their job well. Often with little to no leadership education or experience.

Eg: just because you’re a good salesman doesn’t mean you’re qualified to lead a sales team.

Murray was a great scout but a crappy leader. Botterill was a great assistant GM but not the guy to be the leader.

Adams may not have the best background to be a GM, but he’s a leader. He lets people do their job and gives them the ability to succeed.

I imagine a guy like Fortin is having a bigger impact and it shows. He was probably tired of the way Murray treated people, and Botterill overruling everyone because he thought he was the smartest guy in the room.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The whole experience was probably very emotional for everyone there. They couldn't do this in person for two years and this must feel like a bookend to whatever period of history you want to call that.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm going to quote myself from the draft thread

I think that's one reason the Pegulas picked Adams as GM. The team was NOT in a good place and was fractured all over the organization. Adams appears to have the leadership and demeanor that really has helped revamp the entire team from top to bottom to get on one page to feel valued, trusted, and excited about the plan and where it is going. I'm a very emotional guy myself so I feel Forton there.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
FXHJHm-XoAInfCX.jpeg

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Of course they love the draft they just executed. It would be daft for them to not love their draft right?

My best case scenario for all of what's going on is we end up in a year or two with a team on the brink, like the post lockout team. Except with Dahlin and Power.

I'm hopeful. I also don't like the Rosen and Poltapov and Ostlund and that goalie picks but whatever of course I hope it all turns out roses

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Of course they love the draft they just executed. It would be daft for them to not love their draft right?

My best case scenario for all of what's going on is we end up in a year or two with a team on the brink, like the post lockout team. Except with Dahlin and Power.

I'm hopeful. I also don't like the Rosen and Poltapov and Ostlund and that goalie picks but whatever of course I hope it all turns out roses

I'm referring to the explanation of their pick. Kotyk having tons of European contacts, including the kid's goalie coach on Finland, is something you hope for. Hearing confirmation of that feels good

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Getting emotional that Adams listens to everyone and lets everyone do their jobs sure feels like a window into what it was like before Adams
I think it becomes absurdly devisive when incoming management is forced to keep people brought in by outgoing management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad