Jere Lehtinen Jersey Retirement

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
The Dallas Stars announced some plans for the 25th anniversary celebration for next season, here, the biggest part of which will be the retirement of Jere Lehtinen's number in Dallas. As a Stars fan since I first saw the team in 1997, I have been surprised this has taken so long.

He and Modano were dynamite together and each of them drew from the other's strengths on the ice. He won 3 Selke trophies as a winger (winning 1 at that position is hard enough, unless you're Bob Gainey) and was instrumental in the Stars success over his tenure.

Glad to see he is finally getting the recognition he deserves. :handclap:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I honestly never thought his would be retired, as he's the type of player that flies under the radar for these types of honors. That said, he deserves it as much as any Dallas Star (except Modano).

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I love watching these underappreciated guys get the recognition they deserve. I was so proud watching Ken Daneyko get his jersey retired.

Lehtinen was a fantastic player, well deserved honor. Played the game the right way.It's nice to see these guys that aren't sexy names and Hall of Famers get recognized.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well deserved. Played his whole career for the franchise , helped them win the cup and had decent individual success as well. My personal favorite Stars player of all time.

#56 should get retired too at some point .

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I'm surprised Lehtinen gets priority over Derian Hatcher, who was Dallas' captain throughout their brief glory years and one of the league's best defensive d-men pre- '04 lockout. All the same, Jeri certainly deserves it and was a great player.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
I'm surprised Lehtinen gets priority over Derian Hatcher, who was Dallas' captain throughout their brief glory years and one of the league's best defensive d-men pre- '04 lockout. All the same, Jeri certainly deserves it and was a great player.

Hatcher leaving for Detroit was considered a betrayal. Lehtinen has 3 Selke trophies and played his entire career for Dallas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad