Value of: Jeffrey Petry to the Tronna Maple Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What would it take? I know there have been Petry threads lately but none specifically for his value to Toronto.

I'm struggling with his value. Petry is a a high end 2nd pairing defenseman but he's also not so good so as to give up a top prospect IMO. That leaves Liljegren probably off limits.

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
At $5.5 over the next 3 years MTL would have to take on some salary. Would anyone move Zaitsev for him? May have to add but I'm really not sure??

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What would it take? I know there have been Petry threads lately but none specifically for his value to Toronto.The Habs defense would be absolute trash without him. I don't know if they expect to be competitive any time while JP is still under their control or not and if they even want to deal him.

I'm struggling with his value. Petry is a a high end 2nd pairing defenseman but he's also not so good so as to give up a top prospect IMO. That leaves Liljegren probably off limits.
It would take an overpayment that isn't worth it because:
A. It's the Leafs
B. Your point on the Habs D.

While I'm sure he would be a good addition, the cost to acquire Petry would not be worth the cost paid.
The best trades are approximately equal in value. I see nothing equal in the Montreal ask. Unless that changes.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
the leafs already have enough turn over machines that are weak defensively. they shouldn't target petry

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
What would it take? I know there have been Petry threads lately but none specifically for his value to Toronto.

High end D prospect would be the ask and Lili is your only one. MTL is in no rush to move Petry, especially with Weber out, so don't expect any Habs fans to agree to a "take what you can get" type deal.

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
Why would the Habs trade Petry for Zaitsev?

Lol I really don't know, I was just trying to figure out what the Leafs would have to do in order to make him fit cap wise. I understand it would be Zaitsev plus, but if it was anything more than a 2nd rounder it would be a questionable deal. I don't think Petry is the solution neither, so really I'm not sure he works...Trying to answer the question that's all lol.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
It would require an overpayment from a divisional rival - and frankly, you don't have prospects we could really use.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
High end D prospect would be the ask and Lili is your only one. MTL is in no rush to move Petry, especially with Weber out, so don't expect any Habs fans to agree to a "take what you can get" type deal.

He isn’t a Leafs fan, Rangers I think.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010

Wait, we trading for Petry or Subban here?

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Habs could probably find other teams with a greater interest and net themselves a better return.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Habs overpaid for need, then acquired Weber the next offseason

Toronto now has that need for RHD, but don't see them fitting that Cap Hit,

and i don't see these teams helping out each other,
so Habs wont sell low to Leafs, Leafs wont buy high from Habs

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Petry to Toronto as been discussed in 2-3 threads in the last week. You could just go on page 2 or 3 and read these threads.

To summarize, it's something like 1st, 3rd, Rasanen, Timashov (even if I don't think Habs needs Timashov)

It would take a minimum of 1st and a good D prospect (not named Liljegren or Sandin IMO) to cover Petry value. After that you need to add a small something because we don't need to trade him, and something else small because it's a rival team.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Petry to Toronto as been discussed in 2-3 threads in the last week. You could just go on page 2 or 3 and read these threads.

To summarize, it's something like 1st, 3rd, Rasanen, Timashov (even if I don't think Habs needs Timashov)

It would take a minimum of 1st and a good D prospect (not named Liljegren or Sandin IMO) to cover Petry value. After that you need to add a small something because we don't need to trade him, and something else small because it's a rival team.

I wouldn't touch that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad