Prospect Info: Jeff Taylor | D | Union College (ECAC) | 7th round, 203rd overall

Uncle Machete

Apr 6, 2004
Mexico City
BrPEgImCMAEk7Lx.png

http://www.unionathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6362

Last edited by a moderator:

skullman80

Nov 18, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Couldn't make it through all the rounds without at least one D being drafted...

Know nothing of this kid though, obviously in the 7th round you are hoping for miracles.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Now that's really an overager, dude's already 20. He's been a winner so far: USHL champion in 2013, NCAA champion in 2014.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Its strange when they finally took a D-man it was an old one. I could have understand if they drafted a 96 born who was many years away.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
With Gotisbehere going pro and Bodie graduating this guy's minutes and responsibilities are going to jump significantly.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I would assume so. He was 3rd on the team amongst d-men in points, behind those two.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Token defenseman draft pick for the Pens. Hopefully he shows something, cant have much expectation for a guy from the 7th round.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Token defenseman draft pick for the Pens. Hopefully he shows something, cant have much expectation for a guy from the 7th round.

Hopefully he's a homerun type pick, where chances are he'll bust but on the off chance he makes it, he'll become gem of a player.

I'm not a fan of going safe in the draft, especially the later rounds when no matter who you take, they likely won't make it. But at least if you keep taking swings for the fences, one of these times it might pay off big. As opposed to taking someone safe in the later rounds where even if they do pan out, you're looking at a bottom pairing/fourth line upside.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Flyers fan stopping by.

I saw quite a bit of Taylor because he was Gostisbehere's (Flyers star prospect) partner for most of the season.

I would not have minded if the Flyers spent a 7th round pick on him.

Even though he's 20, he still has some upside to his game. Good all around dman. Won't wow you, but has good IQ, good skater and good distributor from the back end.

Was Gostisbehere's safety net at times, as Ghost would join the rush quite a bit.

Can struggle with physical play/when forechecked hard and sometimes makes bad reads in the dzone.

Will play a large role on Union after Bodie signed with the Rangers and Gostisbehere going pro.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Thanks for the scouting report, Roo.

He'll be an interesting prospect to follow. Is he a medium bloomer (I won't call him 'late' as quite a few decent NCAA defenders in the NHL weren't even drafted) or is he just a high floor/low ceiling AHL depth guy? He should be the #1 defenseman on the defending NCAA Champions, so this will be a pretty big year for him.

12059345526_f3d804e6d0.jpg

The Penguins were obviously going to draft a defenseman in this draft, 5 out of 5 forwards would be pretty weird, but I'm surprised they went with one who should appear in WBS so soon, this seems like the perfect spot for the Pens to do one of their patented draft a kid out of a Mid-Atlantic high school and watch as he spends all 4 years in college as a #5 defenseman picks. It is worth noting that despite being 20 he was just a freshman, so it could still be three years before we have to worry about signing him.

Checking out his Twitter feed shows him as a soccer fan. I like him already.

Last edited:

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Jeff had a good year.Surprised no one's talking about him.
NOTEWORTHY
Selected by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the seventh round (203rd overall) of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

2014-15 (SO)
Ranked fifth in NCAA defenseman scoring (0.91) ... finished 11th in NCAA assists (0.79) ... led all ECACH defensemen in overall scoring (31 points) by a nine-point margin ... finished second in conference defenseman scoring (14 points) ... fourth in ECACH assists (27) ... compiled points in 17 games ... third in team scoring ... second-best plus/minus (+5) among Union defensemen ... recorded three assists in a game three times – versus Harvard (1/30), Rensselaer (1/24) and Princeton (11/15) ... nine multiple-assist games ... named to Shillelagh All-Tournament Team ... compiled a career-best four points (1-3) – including the game-winning goal – against Princeton (11/15) ... distributed three assists in 8-3 win over Rensselaer (1/24) ... recorded a goal and assist in season-opening win over American International (10/10) and versus Western Michigan (11/29) ... compiled a seven-game points streak (11/14-12/27) ... needed just 17 games to surpass point total from his freshman season ... missed five games to injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad