Player Discussion Jeff Skinner

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

IMG_0300.jpeg

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Skinner's season so far reminds me of Pominville in the late aughts, where he had one of the worst-looking 70 point seasons I've ever seen.

newfiejesus

Sep 19, 2016
Newfoundland
I saw him score in person in December 2016.

Larsson scored for Buffalo. That game saw Disco Dan bench Eichel during a power play. I knew the timer was ticking for Bylsma after that.

Jeff will be fine. The wheels can't be falling off yet, can they? It's not like he hasn't sorted out his metabolism and not been present. Yer legs can't be stopping, same old song.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Same player he has always been. He is not a player you win with. One of the most uncoachable players in the league. What he adds in 5v5 scoring does not outweigh all the negatives.

Get him off the PP

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Same player he has always been. He is not a player you win with. One of the most uncoachable players in the league. What he adds in 5v5 scoring does not outweigh all the negatives.

Get him off the PP
More Okposo instead. LOL. Who you replacing him with? Bump him to 2nd unit. Sure. He also draws a lot of penalty calls on top of being great five on five

Reactions: Fearnot

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

Get him off the PP
Taking the team leader in PP goals off the PP sounds like a great idea

• Haha
Reactions: HogtownSabresfan

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
More Okposo instead. LOL. Who you replacing him with? Bump him to 2nd unit. Sure. He also draws a lot of penalty calls on top of being great five on five
He is not great 5v5. He is a great scorer 5v5. There's a difference

I agree with the injuries they don't have great replacements on PP for him. But he is a turn over machine on the PP. Obviously he isn't the biggest issue with the PP right now(coaching is worse) but the point still stands, he shouldn't be on a top PP.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
He’s not a smart player. It shouldn’t be surprising that unless the play ends with him in the prime position taking the shot they aren’t scoring on the pp

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
He is not great 5v5. He is a great scorer 5v5. There's a difference

I agree with the injuries they don't have great replacements on PP for him. But he is a turn over machine on the PP. Obviously he isn't the biggest issue with the PP right now(coaching is worse) but the point still stands, he shouldn't be on a top PP.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 9.01.10 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 9.01.10 AM.png
    417.1 KB · Views: 2

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Part of the issue with the PP is that they've completely lost their low man who is also responsible for being the primary screen. They don't use that player at all. Then they sit on the point to flank pass which just leads to the three high folks handling the puck. Skinner in the middle of that as bumper is prone to overhandling the puck, even if he's been the most productive member of the unit thus far. I still think he'd be better as the low guy instead of in a position where he's going to be handling things - put him in a spot to hunt rebounds and be slippery in finding open ice just off crease instead of standing still and stickhandling.

There are a lot of issues with the PP, being the most productive player amidst the dysfunction isn't really good or bad. It just points further to the issues with the unit and Ellis' lack of adaptation to teams taking away their point-to-flank/wing one-timer options.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Jeff Skinner is Jeff Skinner. We should be happy about that actually, because it means we are still getting out of Jeff, what we paid him for. The issue comes when people want, or expect Jeff to be something other than Jeff Skinner. Jeff is not a power forward, not a corner grinder, not a line driver. Jeff excels at getting into scoring locations, and then making good on the opportunities he gets. When he is really good he also is an instigator that draws penalties and gets the opposition off focus. He is like a bonus addon, where if you pair him with the right two linemates, he has a multiplier effect. (Eichel/Rienhart = Tage/Tuch) He is on target for 66 pts and 39 goals! The problem with the top line is not Jeff.

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
We all know Skinner has his warts but I do find the ragging on the ppg player to be mildly amusing.

Cozens is a bigger disappointment on the PP than anyone.
yep and they inflated Cozens stats by putting him on PP1 last year which caused his new contract to be 7x7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad