Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner re-signs. 8 years, $9M AAV.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If they do it this summer via buyout:

1713280651194.png

If they wait a year:

1713280694020.png

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I’m guessing here, but I think it took a lot of restraint by Donny to not bench Skinner. He seems like the kind of player you need to handle with kid gloves, otherwise they’ll lose confidence and you’re left with a 9 million dollar guy who isn’t scoring or playing defense.

Not sure how many other coaches are going to tolerate Skinners indifference to playing defense on a nightly basis.
I'd love to see how an actual coach like quenneville handles him. He's probably pull an RBA and insist on a buyout.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
He'll only waive for like 2 places. He's stated time and again that being close to his family (GTA) is his primary concern.

It's just different than it was many years ago. I bet he would go to a lot of places to get into the playoffs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's just different than it was many years ago. I bet he would go to a lot of places to get into the playoffs.

Maybe sit down and ask him. If he's not willing to waive to go somewhere else - and let's be real, wherever he's going is going to be doing the Sabres a solid to take that salary so don't expect anything in return or even to give something up to make it happen - then the buyout option is there. They have guys on ELCs, they have guys they can bridge until they get rid of a buyout cap hit. It's time to move on.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I still feel like it's going to come out this week that Skinner has been playing through an injury for the 2nd half of this year.
I feel like we’re saying that about everyone. Tage, Cozens, Tuch, Skinner….

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I'd rather they just eat the cap hit and use the pick elsewhere either in trade or make the selection.
I just went and checked out the buyout on capfriendly. You’re right 3 extra years of 2.4M is not that bad at all.

Moving on from him would be prudent. Not just for the cap, but also for the LW spot he holds.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Maybe Skinner is willing to waive his NMC over the threat of a buyout? He is still owed another $27mm on his contract but he only gets paid $14.666mm if bought out, that's a loss of $12.444 million for him.

Getting traded anywhere with his contract intact is almost certainly preferable to having to sign for close to league minimum after being bought out. I'd be shocked if he ever earned $12.444mm on new contracts after the buy out.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Maybe Skinner is willing to waive his NMC over the threat of a buyout? He is still owed another $27mm on his contract but he only gets paid $14.666mm if bought out, that's a loss of $12.444 million for him.

Getting traded anywhere with his contract intact is almost certainly preferable to having to sign for close to league minimum after being bought out. I'd be shocked if he ever earned $12.444mm on new contracts after the buy out.
I’m pretty sure he needs to waive it to get bought out.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I’m pretty sure he needs to waive it to get bought out.
Wrong

Again, no one will want him unless you're paying them in assets. Which isn't really worth it when you'd also be eating cap space in that scenario too.

Reactions: BFLO

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

Maybe he won't earn 12.44 M on a new contract, but could be close. He is not a league minimum player and about a 50 point, 25 goal player. Regardless of defensive warts, it's at least a couple million per year 3rd line winger. He's 31 and could easily have 30-35 goal seasons again.

Reactions: joshjull

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Maybe he won't earn 12.44 M on a new contract, but could be close. He is not a league minimum player and about a 50 point, 25 goal player. Regardless of defensive warts, it's at least a couple million per year 3rd line winger. He's 31 and could easily have 30-35 goal seasons again.
On which teams though? Will he really want to play in San Jose?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Waivers

A player can only be bought out after clearing unconditional waivers. A waiver-claim by another team pre-empts the buyout process. If a player has a no-movement clause, the player can reject the option of waivers and proceed to the buyout process.

They can’t be put on waivers if they have a NMC without their permission. He can still be bought out. But he has a say in the process.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
He'd be league minimum to sign with Toronto, which is the only place we wants to be.

Waivers

A player can only be bought out after clearing unconditional waivers. A waiver-claim by another team pre-empts the buyout process. If a player has a no-movement clause, the player can reject the option of waivers and proceed to the buyout process.

They can’t be put on waivers if they have a NMC without their permission. He can still be bought out. But he has a say in the process.
He doesn't have a choice about whether he is bought out or not. Only whether he goes on waivers prior to buyout or not.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He'd be league minimum to sign with Toronto, which is the only place we wants to be.

He doesn't have a choice about whether he is bought out or not. Only whether he goes on waivers prior to buyout or not.
Yep. I was thinking of the NMC preventing waivers but thats not the same as preventing a buyout.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Honestly if we buy him out and Toronto doesn't want him the Oilers might appeal to him and vice-versa. The Evander Kane experiment has about reached its expiration date and they are always looking for damaged (cheap) wingers with high skill and scoring potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad