Speculation: Jeff Malcolm next Lundqvist?

*Bob Richards*

Lol hyperbole much?

Hank is a once in a lifetime talent... watch him enjoy him and tell your kids about him when they are old enough. We are never getting anyone as good as him ever again.

Yup. Even with all his praise and love, I still think he is underrated amongst the fanbase. It's going to be a long and arduous journey without him when he goes.

Edit-Also, the Prince Chad thread will go down in legend. Forever a measuring stick for every "jump the gun thread" since.

Dec 13, 2010
Knowing this organization, chances are good our real next goaltender is coming via free agency/trade. And if we're drafting someone to develop, by the time Hank is ready to retire Jeff Malcom will probably be 33. If the team develops a new goaltender to take over the kid is probably 16-17 right now and won't be expected to start until he's 24-25

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Knowing this organization, chances are good our real next goaltender is coming via free agency/trade. And if we're drafting someone to develop, by the time Hank is ready to retire Jeff Malcom will probably be 33. If the team develops a new goaltender to take over the kid is probably 16-17 right now and won't be expected to start until he's 24-25

Sooo... Skapski?

Dec 13, 2010
Well, I don't think Skapski is a future #1 but I could be wrong. Goalies are tough to judge and they all develop differently. Thatcher Demko who plays for the USNTDP U-18 (late 95 birthday) is a goalie I'm pretty high on that is eligible for next year's draft. I think he'll be highly sought after, but he's worth it. Going the NCAA route too, which is something Sather has shown he likes. If you've watched any of the recent U-17/U-18 tournaments you've seen how great Demko can be.

All I'm saying with this is I don't think Malcom is the future, and I don't think the future is a player who is out of junior hockey yet. Malcom's already 24, Lundqvist is only 31.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Predicting where we will be getting our next starting goalie is more difficult than predicting any other position. More than half of the starters in the league were either late picks or undrafted.

That being said, I'm fairly confident that Malcolm isn't going to be the guy to replace Lundqvist, if only because he's not going to be young by the time Lundqvist retires.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
If he is that good, why is he a street FA and not a top draft pick or at least a heavily recruited player?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
If he is that good, why is he a street FA and not a top draft pick or at least a heavily recruited player?

He is often on and off. One day he'll be amazing and other times he doesn't look to be even a backup in the AHL. The person who wrote the article has too big of high praise for him, but we'll see how he develops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad