Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If you don't see the difference between a tragic act of stupidity and a conscious decision to beat your partner to a pulp, I don't know what to tell you.

Oh, right. And what Voynov did was a premeditated action?

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. I think it shouldn't affect him playing in the NHL. It has nothing to do with his career. People won't agree with me. That's fine.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Whoof. That's really, really hard. You'd have to do a ton of background work on him, and be 100% positive he's a changed man. Even then, I'd be super wary. This is a dude who had something very, very wrong with him in a very, very bad way. What he did was straight up evil.

I hear you. Just saying that inner rage is just as blinding as alcohol fumes.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Flying Puck

Oct 16, 2017
Jeff Gorton got us into this mess, lets see him get us out of it. The players that he has gotten rid of are all having success with other teams. If he would of had the seeds to get rid of AV 2-3 years ago this core group we had here would of been fine. This team will be awful for the next 5 years!

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I get all that, but MacTavish is still part of the league today. There are so many assault cases. Patrick Kane assaulted a cab driver. Claude Giroux assaulted a cop. And despite it happening decades ago, Bobby Hull was still honored by the league during the Centennial ceremony. Why isn't that an issue today? Because it happened decades ago? What Voynov did happened years ago. It's not as if it happened last month.

That's the problem I have with this criticism of Voynov. Yes, what he did was bad, but if he isn't allowed back in the league, why are we looking the other way in these other cases? Is assaulting a cab driver or cop different from assaulting your partner? If Bobby Hull can be honored after what he did to several partners, how long do we have to "punish" Voynov before allowing him back? And what about Dany Heatley? That wasn't decades ago. There's a double standard here.

Giroux grabbed a cop's ass, he didn't violently assault a cop. No bearing on what Voynov did.

Further, just because the league allowed it in the past doesn't mean they still should. I don't understand how this is a valid argument.

Reactions: haveandare

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Jeff Gorton got us into this mess, lets see him get us out of it. The players that he has gotten rid of are all having success with other teams. If he would of had the seeds to get rid of AV 2-3 years ago this core group we had here would of been fine. This team will be awful for the next 5 years!

I expect them to be better than awful, but not very good. I find that to be worse than awful in terms of them ever becoming very good.

I just do not understand the player evaluations. Moving the pending UFAs for picks, fine okay. Moving McD with a year left, okay I can understand that too. That is stuff a rebuilding team does.

Miller moved? A player they'd be lucky to get with a #8 pick.

Last summer, Smith, Shattenkirk, DD, #7, ADA added while Girardi, Stepan, subtracted, those are contradicting moves.

I am all for a real rebuild but that is not what I am feeling from their media stuff, they did add quite a few prospects, non blue chip, they added quite a few draft slots, none that normally supply blue chip prospects.

We'll see what they do with all that but they have cap space, they are going to use it. They are talking about winning, maybe sneaking into the playoffs, character, toughness, I at least have the feeling this is just the Rangers doing what they pretty much did after the last sell off when they finally traded Leetch. The Jagr era was born, yet they could never build a very good team around that because the only prospect that turned out to be a legit among the top of the league player for his position through all that up until even now was Lundqvist.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I don’t want Voynov anywhere near a team I root for. What he did to a defenseless woman is inexcusable.......but he didn’t kill anyone so to compare him to what McT did is wrong. Yeah it was an accident but the person died. Voynov’s wife is still alive. Cmon people perspective!!

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I don’t want Voynov anywhere near a team I root for. What he did to a defenseless woman is inexcusable.......but he didn’t kill anyone so to compare him to what McT did is wrong. Yeah it was an accident but the person died. Voynov’s wife is still alive. Cmon people perspective!!
My perspective is I pay to watch players play, not do whatever it is they do on their off time. If they are doing something wrong, it's on the courts & justice system not on a league commissioner or team GM. That's been one of the major turn offs for me with the NFL where all of a sudden the commissioner is sole supreme court moral justice and executioner.

I don't think people realize how many scumbags have come up through the ranks in all pro sports over the decades and we just didn't hear about their personal lives. IMO the biggest failure here is elevating professional athletes to be some sort of role model. Role models are your responsible family members, genuine heroes in society, people who make a real tangible difference in people's lives.

Athletes are not in any wayrole models, they are paid jocks who play a sport for money to help a team win and as a fan all I care about is that the team wins. That means getting the best talent available I just don't care one iota about what happens off the ice I don't want to know anything about it. If this guy can help the team then great. I won't be asking for his autograph but I'll cheer when he scores.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
id still take voynov......
tom-delonge-wtf1.gif

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Oh, right. And what Voynov did was a premeditated action?

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. I think it shouldn't affect him playing in the NHL. It has nothing to do with his career. People won't agree with me. That's fine.

you have to be conscious of what's going on in the US right now. maybe being European its a different mood and you aren't particularly as sensitive to it but one thing we are getting right at the moment in this country is that violence against women premeditated or not and or harassment of women iis no longer going to be brushed under the rug. It absolutely SHOULD affect him playing publicly for an NHL team. The NHL is a representation of the 31 cities it operates in. this guy literally punched his ticket out of the league. bye bye.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
You're a great poster here.

No one is walking away. But you're comparing different era's. In today's day an age Mactavish would be rightfully crucified.

My Dad was a cop back in the 70's to early 90's and what was the norm then ain't the norm now. He has told me stories. Heck, I know stories of players that have done much worse than what Mactavish did and got away scot-free, I mean much worse.

I don't want a player that not only beat his wife he beat her to a bloody pulp. There's really no distinction other than the fact, he can't claim a hand slip or mistake. It was a completely willful action and there was no catching oneself and realizing "what the **** am I doing?" he kept going.

btw, even if he caught himself he would still be a p.o.s. I was just saying for conversation purposes.
You can't compare decades on lots of topics, why are sports any different? The world evolves and society and culture changes. It's like trying to compare business trades from the 1800's to today. Everything must be in context to the zeitgeist.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I am not expecting those that use advanced stats as if they're the bible to give much attention or thought to locker room culture -- but with that said, beating the shit out of your wife or calling someone a Homophobic Slur are not "political beliefs." They are people being assholes, and speak to their character.

Reactions: mrmovies779

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I am not expecting those that use advanced stats as if they're the bible to give much attention or thought to locker room culture -- but with that said, beating the **** out of your wife or calling someone a ****** are not "political beliefs." They are people being *******s, and speak to their character.
f*** this noise, the biggest advanced stats proponents on this board have collectively said that Voynov can go get f***ing bent.

What a garbage post.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Really?

Stepan had his least amount of goals he's ever had this year, and ARZ is still one of the worst team in the NHL.

Grabs trade for NJ - NJ got taken to the cleaners on that.
New Jersey Devils: Michael Grabner Officially A Bust

Nash is getting beat up in the Boston media
Boston Bruins Game 6 lineup: Rick Nash dropped to 3rd line, Tommy Wingels replaces Danton Heinen

Holden, getting ANYTHING for him is a plus.

JT Miller apparently was an issue with both AV and some of the front office, cool he's having success w/ Stamkos and Kuch, my sister would put up points on that line. But either way, addition by subtraction.

Ryan McDonagh is probably the biggest question mark, but let's see what Howden, Hajak, and those 2 draft picks turn out to be before we mark this as a failure. If at least 1 of them turns out to be a pro NHLer who contribute on this team for 7+ years it's a WIN for 1.5Y of McDonagh who we were not going to resign.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Did I miss the part where Gorton put the team against the cap and gave away 1st & second round picks?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Nash is disappointing in Boston
Grabner was a healthy scratch
Miller doubled his career total in play-off goals with a whopping 1 this post-season so far

Yeah, the players we got rid of, are having success elsewhere.

If you think Gorton got us into this mess, I don't know what to tell you. He didn't give the contracts to Staal and Girardi. He didn't trade away 4(!) first round picks in as many years. But yeah, Gorton got us into this mess. Sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad