Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Any GM can create cap space if motivated to do do. The question is do the moves to create cap space better the team.
No, if that was true than a Redden trade could have been made. There are some contracts that are all but unmovable. Unless off course, one bad contract is traded for another in hopes of a jump start in a new place.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Gorton said the only change in his job description is "final say". Sather had final say. AV always mentioned needing to talk with Sather,Gorton and Schoenfeld about the roster last season. He only mentions needing to talk with Gorton about roster decisions. Gorton has negotiated the contracts since 2011. Who is the one who signed off on them?

So Sather always vetoed Gorton's ideas, or did they agree on a lot of decisions?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gorton have had a horrible off-season, and this team needed the opposite.

The writing was on the wall that this team needed a boost. In today's game, you get that boost from good hockey players. Players that can skate, handle the puck and play the game. Instead we get a stiff in Stahlberg, a center that cannot skate in Stoll and a mess in Etem. We have no depth on defense besides McI. Summers? Diaz?

A Lee Stempniak, someone that just can play, would have been God sent this season. Players like Fast, Lindberg, Hayes and co should t feel pressured to perform because the team needs them, they should feel someone breathing down their neck. We have zero depth, I wonder how high on the depth chart Stempniak would be right now if we had him... Was watching MTL the other day, Fleichman was playing alright at 750k per year.

I don't buy the crap about Gorton running the show for such a long time now. He is in charge now for the first time ever, he cleared a bunch of people out and got his crew in. He can't hold Slats and Schoenfields hands anymore. Before he was a central part of a big system, now he is the man by himself. The moves he made this summer screamed zero risk from a man who didn't want to expose himself. In this league were the marginals are extremely small and given how our team really needed a boost, that approach was very questionable. Very questionable.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
No, if that was true than a Redden trade could have been made. There are some contracts that are all but unmovable. Unless off course, one bad contract is traded for another in hopes of a jump start in a new place.

1 contract being possibly unmovable is not the same as 22 contracts being unmovable. Very few contracts are umovable. In the NBA they even trade contracts of guys that retired years ago as cap fodder.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Gorton have had a horrible off-season, and this team needed the opposite.

The writing was on the wall that this team needed a boost. In today's game, you get that boost from good hockey players. Players that can skate, handle the puck and play the game. Instead we get a stiff in Stahlberg, a center that cannot skate in Stoll and a mess in Etem. We have no depth on defense besides McI. Summers? Diaz?

A Lee Stempniak, someone that just can play, would have been God sent this season. Players like Fast, Lindberg, Hayes and co should t feel pressured to perform because the team needs them, they should feel someone breathing down their neck. We have zero depth, I wonder how high on the depth chart Stempniak would be right now if we had him... Was watching MTL the other day, Fleichman was playing alright at 750k per year.

I don't buy the crap about Gorton running the show for such a long time now. He is in charge now for the first time ever, he cleared a bunch of people out and got his crew in. He can't hold Slats and Schoenfields hands anymore. Before he was a central part of a big system, now he is the man by himself. The moves he made this summer screamed zero risk from a man who didn't want to expose himself. In this league were the marginals are extremely small and given how our team really needed a boost, that approach was very questionable. Very questionable.

I appreciate you actually proposing a solution to an incessant complaint. Thats rare around here.

But Lee ****ing Stempniak would be a difference to what we see now? C'mon.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Lee ****ing Stempniak has 24 points already lol.

He's playing over 20 minutes a game and on the PP too--for a team that has absolutely no expectations. There's no pressure on him. He stunk here, he's a player who always does better on a bad team because he gets more ice time, with better players. He doesn't produce well if he's not in the perfect situation--that's why he's been kicking around the NHL for a while.

He's just one more reclamation project that didn't work out. He didn't make a difference here last year, he wouldn't be doing any better this year.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Lee ****ing Stempniak has 24 points already lol.

Actually I wasn't. ;) Lee Stempniak is a ready player, we are short on players. Players are struggling and should be sat, but we have nobody to play. Stoll was just way to slow. Stahlberg is very one dimensional and only really an option for a specified role, although I recon he hasn't been horrible in that role... Etem is showing some promise here and there, but overall he is just not there yet to play for a contender.

I am not saying we should have gone after Stempniak this summer. But we should have aimed to pick up good hockey players.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
No one knows which moves Sather and Gorton were in lock step. They didn't have disagreements? Glen was the boss. All I know is the Rangers made so many now moves in the last few years with the Sather admitting he was looking to go out as GM on top.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I've been saying for some time that Sather is going to leave his successor with a mess. Not enough cap space, big contracts with lots of term left and NMCs, a farm system that doesn't have depth.

Gorton's hands are tied at the moment. The only trade that has occurred so far this NHL season is the Daley for Scuderi swap. It has been reported numerous times that cap space is an issue for many teams and GMs don't want to take on long-term contracts. There's not much Gorton can do.

Let's stop with the Sather blame game. Gorton and Sather were lock stepped in every move Sather made 5 years before Gorton took over. Gorton is in as deep as Sather is as far as i am concerned.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
He didn't stink here. He actually did a great job considering he played with Moore and Glass most of the time.

He wasn't great. Good for him that he is having a good year and he will get a decent contract out of it but let's take the rose colored glasses off. It's not like he was traded and has been a house on fire since he was traded. He did pretty much what he was doing as a Ranger after he was traded a year ago. In addition, had he finished his contract he still would have left via free agency because he wasn't an AV type of player. Losing Stempiak never was and never should be considered a great loss.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Let's stop with the Sather blame game. Gorton and Sather were lock stepped in every move Sather made 5 years before Gorton took over. Gorton is in as deep as Sather is as far as i am concerned.

I love how RB says "No one knows which moves Gorton and Sather were in lock step" in the post above yours, and then your proceed to say "Gorton and Sather were lock stepped in every move." :laugh:

You're entitled to your own opinion, but your claim is totally unfounded and can't be said with any certainty.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Our management rolled the dice the last couple of years and lost . Now we have to suck it up and restructure our club within the cap perimeters as best as we can . People say we have a closing window....well yes and no IMO .

A lot of clubs have won cups with lesser goalies than Lundqvist . An 80 % Lundqvist is every bit as good as the above average NHL goalie but the product in front of him has to change a bit. I think our defense will eventually sort itself out via the expansion draft and a trade of sorts...won't happen overnight . The forward crew needs to find a way to score more goals because looking ahead our club likely will be weaker defensively because of Henrik getting older and Stall/Girardi being here for at least one more full season . That extra goal can win you a lot of games over the course of a season .

We get Buch over here and insert Graves/Skjei/McIlrath along with some improved play from Hayes/Miller/Fast /Lindberg and with Stepan/Zucc/Brassard and possibly still retain Kreider ....that is a formidable offense along with a signing or surprise guy if we get lucky . It looks bad now...but we still have some positives to build on unless they get stupid and make a foolish trade to try one more run .I certainly hope that does not happen .

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If Stempniak can be productive in a given role (lots of ice time, playing with good players, powerplay time etc...) then it would probably make sense to play him in that role as opposed to the 4th line no? He's been like a 40-50 point player almost everywhere else he's played.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
No one knows which moves Sather and Gorton were in lock step. They didn't have disagreements? Glen was the boss. All I know is the Rangers made so many now moves in the last few years with the Sather admitting he was looking to go out as GM on top.

Agreed and good point, what annoys me is that Gorton is being hid behind doing a "great" job the last years and hence getting a pass from the horrible start he have had as a GM of this team.

Even if Gorton did most of the work, its a different dynamic when you take something to someone else and have to sell it in.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If Stempniak can be productive in a given role (lots of ice time, playing with good players, powerplay time etc...) then it would probably make sense to play him in that role as opposed to the 4th line no? He's been like a 40-50 point player almost everywhere else he's played.

Don't forget he had 5 points in his first 8 games here when we were struggling early, but let's conveniently ignore that fact. There was no reason Stempniak couldn't have been used as a third liner last year, and honestly, he would've been a good depth signing this year.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I love how RB says "No one knows which moves Gorton and Sather were in lock step" in the post above yours, and then your proceed to say "Gorton and Sather were lock stepped in every move." :laugh:

You're entitled to your own opinion, but your claim is totally unfounded and can't be said with any certainty.

For the past several years this board has been fawning over the job Groton has done behind the scenes and lambasting Sather at the same time. Typical board chatter is Groton was responsible for all of our success and Sather was responsible for all of our failures. Now the poster boy Groton is having issues his first year as GM and people on this board still want to blame Sather. :loony:

Groton was not an out side hire. While Sather had the "final" say he and Groton where on the same page. Since there have been a few articles on the Sather/Groton management team my previous statement is far from being totally unfounded as you have suggested.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
For the past several years this board has been fawning over the job Groton has done behind the scenes and lambasting Sather at the same time. Typical board chatter is Groton was responsible for all of our success and Sather was responsible for all of our failures. Now the poster boy Groton is having issues his first year as GM and people on this board still want to blame Sather. :loony:

Groton was not an out side hire. While Sather had the "final" say he and Groton where on the same page. Since there have been a few articles on the Sather/Groton management team my previous statement is far from being totally unfounded as you have suggested.

Ok, then can I see evidence of these articles that proclaim Sather and Gorton were always in lockstep? Because most of what I've read suggests that there's no way to know that with any certainty, and that Gorton is more inclined to hold on to draft picks and prospects instead of the "win now" mentality that Sather has espoused in recent years:

Sather made all of the final calls within the operation — the vote could go 7-1 against, and the “one†would carry the day if cast by Sather — so there is little to go by on what to expect from Gorton, who inherits a team that seemingly could go either way, an organization that isn’t exactly flowing with NHL-ready prospects, and with extremely limited cap space in which to maneuver.

The style will be different, because everyone’s style is different and different than Sather’s, but substance will define Gorton, who will be in complete charge of the operation.

http://nypost.com/2015/07/01/what-glen-sather-brought-to-rangers-during-his-gm-tenure/

Though Gorton might be a little more inclined to keep draft picks and develop from within, the philosophy of the Rangers’ front office is not going morph into a small-market mentality.

http://nypost.com/2015/07/02/rangers-new-gm-jeff-gorton-promising-continuity/

In the long-term, the days of the blockbuster deadline deal may be over in New York. Gorton is not afraid to make trades, but he also might not be the type to trade younger prospects and picks for veterans.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-east/metropolitan/new-york-rangers/expect-jeff-gorton-rangers-gm/

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Before joining the Rangers, Gorton served in the Boston Bruins organization holding various managerial hats including assistant general manager and, for a short time, interim general manager.

With the Rangers, he has been responsible for the daily operations of the club. His reach in the organization is vast. You could say he knows the organization, inside and out. Everything from negotiating players’ contracts to his involvement with the scouting department, Gorton appears to be well-prepared to take up the mantle if Sather decides to change his role within the Rangers organization.

Though, it has been Sather’s neck on the line in many of the team’s previous transactions, Gorton has been the one high above the stage and pulling the strings.

http://bluelinestation.com/2015/06/06/jeff-gorton-ready-to-assume-the-mantel-of-rangers-gm/

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
There is a time when you need to WAKE UP and make a move when your team is grossly on a tailspin before it's too late....

WAKE THE **** UP GORTON AND DO SOMETHING.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
There is a time when you need to WAKE UP and make a move when your team is grossly on a tailspin before it's too late....

WAKE THE **** UP GORTON AND DO SOMETHING.

In the cap era, roster transactions (even when there isn't a holiday roster freeze) are just not the way to shake things up anymore.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
WPLko6r.jpg

EsOcQbL.jpg

But tell us more how easy it would be to make a move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad