Player Discussion Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Good to hear on Buchnevich. He should be playing 18 minutes a night alongside Ziba, Hayes, or surprise Calder candidate Filip Chytil.

Reactions: haveandare

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
HF has the best deal makers in the world sitting in their boxers on their couch.

You don't need to be in hockey to get the better end of a deal. Win some, lose some. I think paying customers have every right to criticize a GM if
they perceive he's getting toyed with during trades.

Gorton deserves credit for not being Sather, but he has yet to hit that home run. He's moved a lot of pieces since taking over. He's made more boneheaded moves than robberies. Staal and Smith come to mind. The rest are kind of just there.

I dont want the guy fired, but what I would like to see is one of his recent trades eventually become his own Gomez-McDonagh.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
You don't need to be in hockey to get the better end of a deal. Win some, lose some. I think paying customers have every right to criticize a GM if
they perceive he's getting toyed with during trades.

Gorton deserves credit for not being Sather, but he has yet to hit that home run. He's moved a lot of pieces since taking over. He's made more boneheaded moves than robberies. Staal and Smith come to mind. The rest are kind of just there.

I dont want the guy fired, but what I would like to see is one of his recent trades eventually become his own Gomez-McDonagh.
Zibanejad trade could potentially be that.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The problem I have with armchair GM trades is that everyone expects that the players or picks they put forth have this expected value that the other trade partner would agree to. I think there are many many many many trades that go down and people say "wtf the GM should have gone for this or that instead" but a trade would have never happened if that was what was insisted on.

Basically, hfboards trades stand a far smaller chance of going down that what happens in reality IMO.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Trades are a lot tougher to make than most fans realize. The biggest risk you have is that the guy you are trading with (should) knows his players better than you do. Why are they willing to move so and so? What was the last negotiation like? How is he in the room? Can he play in the middle or is he just another left wing?

Go back and look at how many times both teams are disappointed in a trade. That’s because teams try to sell when perception is higher than presence. Sometimes, the player turns around and flourishes but quite often a trade doesn’t help either team.

The one big wild card is when teams veterans for draft choices. Of course, that’s why so few premium draft choices ever change hands.

Deleted member 23124

I thought Sather signed Staal to that extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad