OT: Jeff Gorton Performance + Team Direction

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Agreed but there's no surefire way to get the #1 overall pick plus this team just isn't quite as bad as people want it to be. Quinn actually seems to have a clue when it comes to coaching and the talent on the team is enough for it to not be absolutely horrid.

If there's a selloff that guts the team then we could see them drop down further but realistically I think we're still looking at a top 10 pick but not top 5

I tend to agree, and at that point the Rangers are going to have to figure out a way to draft players that should have in a hypothetical redraft, say 3 or 4 year later, should have been taken at or near the top of their draft classes. It's plausible yet still pretty difficult.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Agreed but there's no surefire way to get the #1 overall pick plus this team just isn't quite as bad as people want it to be. Quinn actually seems to have a clue when it comes to coaching and the talent on the team is enough for it to not be absolutely horrid.

If there's a selloff that guts the team then we could see them drop down further but realistically I think we're still looking at a top 10 pick but not top 5
No surefire way of getting it... but there is one in NOT-GETTING it

Reactions: Leetch3

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The answer to your question is in this post... This is a good team

And let me add...this is not a total rebuild, and now they are actually in the playoff race.
You are basing this on the first 18 games of the year? You are not taking Gorton at his word that this is a true rebuild? What of his actions can you point to that supports your position?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's only 20 games in roughly, but this team is a better position than I thought they would be, so far so good. But have to build on this. Not a fan of tanking, and this team is not bad to the degree of tanking for a 1st overall pick, imo. I like to see the Rangers be buyers more than sellers at the deadline, or make some lateral moves to better positions than just moving roster players for just picks like they did last season.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I still kinda like Holden.

He shouldn't be carrying a pair. And whoever is with Staal is carrying Staal.

But I think he's pretty solid if he's the help on a pair instead of the main guy.

That game was a catastrophe with Skjei and Smith on the bench. They were ON FIRE. I was yelling at my father on the phone in that moment “What the **** is AV doing?!?”

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
jack hughes is a ridiculous talent.

were this team to actually add him to this roster next year- rather than say, LA which is likely where hes heading, its would transform this organization from pretender to contender over night.

hes that good.

or we can keep adding mid 1st round talent and continue as we have been.

adding an elite 1C like JH isnt like adding the 7th pick in this years draft.
Hughes is not at McDavid/Matthews/Dahlin level. I would put him a little below Pettersson level. Something between Barzal/Eichel and Hischier level).

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Hughes is not at McDavid/Matthews/Dahlin level. I would put him a little below Pettersson level. Something between Barzal/Eichel and Hischier level).

disagree. hes a big time talent and i mean game changer.

hes doing things others just havent done or very very few have done. hes got it all. compare his numbers/production to his peers. its impressive.

kids gonna be special.

below pettersson ? i cant even.

hes gonna be solidly in that 1st group you mentioned. easily.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That game was a catastrophe with Skjei and Smith on the bench. They were ON FIRE. I was yelling at my father on the phone in that moment “What the **** is AV doing?!?”
I had a date that afternoon and I dropped the lady off at her class as regulation was ending a ran to a bar to watch overtime.

Totally ruined my day.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Our GM is killing it. Here’s some
Examples

Nash trade: 7 million in cap space for a declining older
Player whose now retired for 1st round pick, Spooner and Belesky (tradeable assets) and Lindgren a very good d prospect (next Beukeboom)

Grabner traded for Rykov another very good d prospect and a 2nd

McDonough and Miller for (12 million in space for a declining 2nd pairing d man and a head case) for a 1st possibly another 1st Howden who looks to replace Stepan, Another very good d prospect in Hajek and Namestnikov (a middle 6 winger with trade value)

Plus look at the last 2 drafts. Anderson, Chytl, Miller, Kravtsov, Lunkvist, amongst others,

I think he’s crushing it. Thoughts?

Early consensus has McDonagh up for the Norris so I wouldn't say he is declining, even though he played like he did in his final year with the Rangers....

Other than that, the rest seem good, but it will only be sweet if the picks and prospects pan out. So far Howden is doing great!!

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Don't think that virtually anyone is advocating this. Trading a Zuc does not mean icing all rookies

I don`t understand why we debate this, but I wrote it wrong earlier.

- The amount of hot topics if u look at other fan sections here on HF - it`s usually about their new young prospects they drafted recently. No one here mention it`s to ice all rookies or how you decide to word it. The whole U20 comment was about hot topics and what we are usually talking about here on HF. The new prospects and that`s why people are watching hockey sometimes so it seems, but not all, of course, but some enjoy watching newly drafted players and follow their process.

Anyway my brief point with the whole content, and no doubt in my mind that I`ve too many posts here we need elite talent to win cups. Boston is an exception and so was Detroit, a blind squirrel find a nut once in a while, or a GM in national hockey league instead of a squirrel, hehe.

Oh boy. :)

My reasons:

Maybe I had an agenda who knows since I watch Canucks once in a while my second favoured nhl team...

I want Rangers to actually win a Stanley Cup since we were so close in 2014 and the whole MSL Hall of Fame speach was just sad since we did not completed that mission to win the cup some years ago, but to achieve this I really believe we need to draft an elite talented forward.

1. Maybe I should quit posting which might be sad since it`s somehow social.
2. I should stop dicussing opinions, but it`s hard too.. But I`m not here to win points, likes or win a discussion at all, but maybe it looks like it.. I dont really know anymore.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad