Confirmed with Link: Jeff Glass invited to training camp

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Flames will take 3 goalies to China. Likely Smith, Rittich, and Glass in case one of the goalies gets injured. At home they would then have Gillies, Parsons and McDonald.

Don't think there is much smoke here other than covering the bases.
You left out Nick Schneider. But I think they take 4 goalies to China, since it's early in camp they won't want to overwork the guys, so I think they will have a 4th to help cover some of the practice time. I also think they will want 4 at home to run 2 groups during the camp there.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Flames will take 3 goalies to China. Likely Smith, Rittich, and Glass in case one of the goalies gets injured. At home they would then have Gillies, Parsons and McDonald.

Don't think there is much smoke here other than covering the bases.
I doubt that Glass will be going to China although I do think they'll take 3 and each one will get 2 periods of work. I expect the 3 to be Smith, Rittich, and Gillies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I doubt that Glass will be going to China although I do think they'll take 3 and each one will get 2 periods of work. I expect the 3 to be Smith, Rittich, and Gillies.
I think you can pretty much guarantee those 3 will be going. Since they plan on using this trip as a bonding thing for the team and we know the NHL will push for the top talent to be in China, we are going to see almost all our regulars in those games. You'll also want the top candidates for the spots up for grabs with that group so Peters and his staff can evaluate the players rather than the Heat coaching staff, which will probably be running things in Calgary

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think you can pretty much guarantee those 3 will be going. Since they plan on using this trip as a bonding thing for the team and we know the NHL will push for the top talent to be in China, we are going to see almost all our regulars in those games. You'll also want the top candidates for the spots up for grabs with that group so Peters and his staff can evaluate the players rather than the Heat coaching staff, which will probably be running things in Calgary

Actually, with Glass' overseas experience, I wouldn't completely rule him out in regards to going to China. I do think Glass could be a litmus test.

.898 over 15 as an NHL rookie
.904 over 21 as an NHL rookie
.896 over 11 as an NHL rookie

How often do you get the opportunity to evaluate goalies of such insane similarities of opportunity? Internally, this could be some exceptionally valuable knowledge to have in terms of starting to figure out how to develop goalies. It's perhaps also a way to evaluate how a goalie of similar "Stats, NHL exposure, Mandate" fares on our team, when there is also insider knowledge of said goalie on a different team with a similar end result, a style that isn't horribly different than ours and on a team that is on the downswing (as opposed to us still working on our upswing). I do not think Glass sank the Hawks last season. However, it might be interesting to see how Glass fares in our system and roster as a little piece of information to evaluate and hypothesize how much a coaching style might actually affect goalie save%.

Chicago did not do well last season, it was a bit of a surprising fall from grace. However, I do think many will believe that Chicago will end up right back in the thick of things again this coming season. The Chicago comparison is something that we know has occurred on occasion with quite a few vets brought in from those championship teams. Add in a bizarre similarities between Hossa pushing the team over the top in Chicago and Neal looking to be similar in that regards so far without the cup... it might be some fun times going forward.

I actually think there might be a good chance of Glass getting a contract if he outperforms Rittich and Gilles by a certain margin. I don't think it'll end up a 3 headed monster, but I think Glass wouldn't mind being cannon fodder. A goalie may need to be moved, yes, but I feel like Treliving might have something simmering in that regards right now that may need an extra body... how it all works, I don't know yet. But most times when moves unfold, there's some obvious logic that makes a ton of sense that many posters wonder how no one had considered it before in a way that allowed a group to accept it as a possible option.

Am I over thinking it? Wishful thinking the situation?
I dunno, you tell me.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If Glass signs a contract with the Flames the first thing that comes out of my mouth will be: WHAT THE f***?????

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Am I over thinking it? Wishful thinking the situation?
I dunno, you tell me.
Look at the length of your post regarding a PTO of a 32-year-old rookie that wasn't that good. Yes, you are over thinking it :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Glass signs a contract with the Flames the first thing that comes out of my mouth will be: WHAT THE ****?????
Depends on circumstances. Context matters. If there is a serious injury in camp, it wouldn't be remotely surprising if hes signed for the Heat.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Treliving needs to figure out the backup goalie spot. The Flames need real insurance behind an injury prone Smith.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Look at the length of your post regarding a PTO of a 32-year-old rookie that wasn't that good. Yes, you are over thinking it :laugh:

Well, I am known for the wall of texts... so I do think things several times over when others may move on quickly, but from a fan perspective, all they're seeing is cannon fodder. I'm curious to know how management ticks, so that's why my wall of text regarding a PTO. However, I do also think he's a slight comparable to Rittich and Gilles from last season. Those guys we've chatted up a dozen times over. It's just that they're our draft guys and young guys, so it's more fun to chat them than some Journeyman guy with a roundabout path longer than Scott Darling's path to the NHL.

:laugh:

Question: Would anyone be opposed to the idea where Gilles and Rittich plays essentially all the preseason games vs Smith essentially sits out? Or is that bad for stumbling out of the block when the season starts if Gilles and Rittich don't do well? (ie: Smith starts the season somewhat cold and the kids suck)

I'm just curious whether that makes sense from a development perspective, and whether management would even consider it.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Well, I am known for the wall of texts... so I do think things several times over when others may move on quickly, but from a fan perspective, all they're seeing is cannon fodder. I'm curious to know how management ticks, so that's why my wall of text regarding a PTO. However, I do also think he's a slight comparable to Rittich and Gilles from last season. Those guys we've chatted up a dozen times over. It's just that they're our draft guys and young guys, so it's more fun to chat them than some Journeyman guy with a roundabout path longer than Scott Darling's path to the NHL.

:laugh:

Question: Would anyone be opposed to the idea where Gilles and Rittich plays essentially all the preseason games vs Smith essentially sits out? Or is that bad for stumbling out of the block when the season starts if Gilles and Rittich don't do well? (ie: Smith starts the season somewhat cold and the kids suck)

I'm just curious whether that makes sense from a development perspective, and whether management would even consider it.

No, they need to play Smith a bit. If he is really struggling, we'll know we are probably f***ed early on and can prepare ourselves for the disappointment.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Depends on circumstances. Context matters. If there is a serious injury in camp, it wouldn't be remotely surprising if hes signed for the Heat.
I just can't envision any type of injury where you would want Glass playing for the Flames or Heat. For the Flames you have Smith, and Rittich or Gillies. If one of those goes down you have the other two and all three are better than Glass. For the Heat you have Rittich or Gillies, and Parsons, and McDonald or Schneider. Just don't see the point in having a 32 year old goalie with a 3-10 win/loss record, a 3.36 GAA and a .898 save % record, on the roster just in case.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
No, they need to play Smith a bit. If he is really struggling, we'll know we are probably ****ed early on and can prepare ourselves for the disappointment.
I fully expect to see Smith get some net time in China. Minimum 1 period, possibly 2, maybe even 3. After that he might sit until the second last or last preseason game.

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
Do the Flames still have no faith in Gillies/Rittich? Let's see what happens with this Glass situation.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Do the Flames still have no faith in Gillies/Rittich? Let's see what happens with this Glass situation.
The team is starting it's preseason with a split squad between China and North America. It's no more than an extra body.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The team is starting it's preseason with a split squad between China and North America. It's no more than an extra body.

Way to spoil the hot takes headline discussion you jerk. :sarcasm:

Where the hell else are we chicken littles going latch on to for self imposed daily dose of panic?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
With 15 games NHL experience is Glass classified as a veteran? As far as I know, the Flames still have to dress a minimum of 8 veterans for each preseason game and that might be difficult to do for the NA games when the majority of the team vets will be playing in China.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Way to spoil the hot takes headline discussion you jerk. :sarcasm:

Where the hell else are we chicken littles going latch on to for self imposed daily dose of panic?
Commentsd sections on facebook are a good place to panic and not look like an idiot because there are so many people that are the lowest form of intelligence there

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Commentsd sections on facebook are a good place to panic and not look like an idiot because there are so many people that are the lowest form of intelligence there
I prefer the comments section below the newspaper articles. Not every fan belongs to Facebook but most will read the original newpaper/news service/blog article. Much more panic to be found there as well as vibrant heated discussions.... ie. some real hate filled nastiness. No mods there. :naughty:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I prefer the comments section below the newspaper articles. Not every fan belongs to Facebook but most will read the original newpaper/news service/blog article. Much more panic to be found there as well as vibrant heated discussions.... ie. some real hate filled nastiness. No mods there. :naughty:
The problem with facebook isn't that not all fans are on facebook, it's that "fans" (people who might bother reading the Sports section in the Calgary Herald if the Flames make the Cup final, and might have a Flames toque from when they were a kid, but don't really have time to actually watch the games or follow the team) seem to love commenting on Flames facebook posts. From my experience, it's an absolute cesspool. Sure, fans just as knowledgeable as on here might comment there, but they're drowned out by so much "Who the heck is Glass? Why didn't we sign Crosby instead?!" garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad