Confirmed with Link: Jeff Glass invited to training camp

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I thought he was quite decent in the games against us. He's around the same level of Gillies and Rittich but he's about 10 years older so I doubt he gets signed

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Jeff Who? Had to google his name. 32 years old and 15 NHL games under his belt. Peaked in 2005 in the 2005 WJC. Strictly a warm body to fill the net during training camp.

Aug 3, 2010
Ugh so tired of this club signing fringe players just because they're brothers… didn't they learn from the Hamilton debacle?

yesiknowtannerglassisgoneosjustjokeyuhefftobeserious

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He won't get signed, there literally are not enough roster spots for him unless he's content being a #3 in the AHL or the Flames intend to loan a goaltender (Schneider?) To another AHL or ECHL club.

NHL: Smith & Rittich/Gillies
AHL: Rittich/Gillies & Parsons/McDonald/Schneider
ECHL: 2 of
Parsons/McDonald/Schneider

There will probably be another goalie PTO so they can run 4 groups at the start of camp, while doing a local boy a solid and help him get a contract elsewhere after he's cut.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Go guy to push Gillies and Rittich to be better in training camp.
If you figure this is the guy needed to push Gillies and Rittich the Flames are in serious trouble in the goalie department. He's played for 4 ahl teams and 6 KHL teams. Trust me, this guy is just a warm body to stick in the net for training camp purposes here in Calgary.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If you figure this is the guy needed to push Gillies and Rittich the Flames are in serious trouble in the goalie department. He's played for 4 ahl teams and 6 KHL teams. Trust me, this guy is just a warm body to stick in the net for training camp purposes here in Calgary.
He also had a good stretch in the NHL last year. While I don't think he's there to push or compete, he is there to motivate. The guy personifies what it means to work hard and finally get an opportunity.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Glass was quite good in the NHL last year, that should surprise no one. He’s got very low tread and he’s arguably in the prime years for goalies.
Quite good is an overstatement. He was solid in 5 or 6 of his first nine and then was quite poor after that. Honestly, I thought he was better to start too, but he was good about every other game initially.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
3 wins - 10 losses with a .898 save % and a 3.36 GAA is not "quite good"

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As someone pointed out on the main board, we will need a split squad for some time due to the China trip.

We will need to take 3 or 4 goalies to China (I'd take 4, so we can have 2 groups as the trip is early in camp) and will need 4 back at home to run 2 groups as well.

Another reason for Glass is he may help us reach the veteran minimum for the preseason games.

What I'd do is bring Smith, Rittich, Gillies & Schneider to China. While giving Parsons starts back in North America with Glass & McDonald serving as his backup in games, then of course a second PTO for camp purposes.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Personally, I wonder if Glass is a litmus test. If he makes Gilles and Rittich look like greenhorns again, I think Treliving immediately begins looking to move one of those two guys for someone who is more capable to backstop Smith.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Basically to cover our numbers with the China trip.

The Flames will take 3 goalies to China. Likely Smith, Rittich, and Glass in case one of the goalies gets injured. At home they would then have Gillies, Parsons and McDonald.

Don't think there is much smoke here other than covering the bases.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad