Rumor: Jeff Carter heading to Switzerland (or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The Jeff Carter that has 11 goals and 20 points in 31 games this season? Total that average out to 29 goals and 53 points? I find it hard to believe he would make such a decision until after he has become a free agent and seen what NHL interest there might be then.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Don’t even the highest paid players make well under a million over there? He’ll get a lot more than that from any number of NHL teams.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
The Jeff Carter that has 11 goals and 20 points in 31 games this season? Total that average out to 29 goals and 53 points? I find it hard to believe he would make such a decision until after he has become a free agent and seen what NHL interest there might be then.

37 years old. My guess he will get a contract from an nhl with lots of bonuses. Last time I read anything about the Swiss league is the pay the best in Europe and it is tax free

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Don’t even the highest paid players make well under a million over there? He’ll get a lot more than that from any number of NHL teams.

Something makes me doubt money is a big deciding factor for him at this point. Not that I really believe the rumour, but the NLA would be a sweet retirement gig for somebody in Carter's shoes.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The Olympics that are 4 years away that may have nhl players attend? Too late for him to be going to the Olympics now

now for this rumour I call 100% bs. Why would carter be fielding offers and making a decision for next season whilst being in the middle of a productive season right now?
And why would the only source be out of Finland?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Its a beautiful country so I don't blame him. Only seen it briefly from Lake Como, but ya it seems like a heavenly place (with lots of chocolate and good looking women...).

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009

Why not? There are other aspects in life than just money.
It's not like he'll be too good for the league at 38yo.

I find it hard to believe Roost would make it up, just out of the blue. He's usually very reliable and doesn't throw rumors around for attention..

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Why not? There are other aspects in life than just money.
It's not like he'll be too good for the league at 38yo.

I find it hard to believe Roost would make it up, just out of the blue. He's usually very reliable and doesn't throw rumors around for attention..
Who said anything about money. he has always seemed like a guy who wants Cups and you can't win a Cup in the Swiss league.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
This rumor makes literally no sense, I don't believe this for a second.

When was the last time a non-European player still playing at a good NHLer level just decided to leave the NHL for an inferior league in Europe? There is absolutely no connection between Carter and Switzerland.

It's a good place to pay if he's battling injuries and still wants to play.

Kevin Klein retired from the NHL after the 16-17 season, still playing at a pretty good level for us at the time.

A lot of fans wanted him back, but he said he was battling a few injuries and he was interested in playing in the Swiss league due to the shorter schedule as well as generally less physical contact.

He played for the ZSC Lions for two years before retiring, winning the championship in the first year while wearing an A and then wore the C for his last year. Put up good point totals, too.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I can only imagine when you have earned an estimated $72,000,000 in career earnings that the difference between that and $74,000,000 isn’t that big. You may value your quality of living and going on permanent vacation to Switzerland sounds quite nice.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's a good place to pay if he's battling injuries and still wants to play.

Kevin Klein retired from the NHL after the 16-17 season, still playing at a pretty good level for us at the time.

A lot of fans wanted him back, but he said he was battling a few injuries and he was interested in playing in the Swiss league due to the shorter schedule as well as generally less physical contact.

He played for the ZSC Lions for two years before retiring, winning the championship in the first year while wearing an A and then wore the C for his last year. Put up good point totals, too.

Klein was a bottom pair defenseman at the time, Carter is a good bit better than him.

Probably wants to play in the Olympics.

Swiss league is an underrated league.

How would the Olympics have any sort of impact here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad