News Article: Jeff Carter Can't Wait To Get Going.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think there’s demonstrably literally only one stretch where this is even remotely true but I’m open to hearing when else you think so
The entire 2016-17 season, and the portion of every full season when Kopitar takes his long winter's nap.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The entire 2016-17 season, and the portion of every full season when Kopitar takes his long winter's nap.

Yes, Carter was better than Kopitar, when Kopitar was injured and couldn't shoot.

Haven't heard of the "winter's nap" for about three seasons though. Guess that's good news you're finally starting to appreciate him when that's all you have to go on. Pretty amazing Kopitar still outplays Carter even during annual naps. And hitting 1k points.

That must mean Carter's pretty close, right?

It's times like this you are rightfully perceived as a Kopitar hater. You show the littlest appreciation for all he does and has done.

Reactions: ibleedkings

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yes, Carter was better than Kopitar, when Kopitar was injured and couldn't shoot.

Haven't heard of the "winter's nap" for about three seasons though. Guess that's good news you're finally starting to appreciate him when that's all you have to go on. Pretty amazing Kopitar still outplays Carter even during annual naps. And hitting 1k points.

That must mean Carter's pretty close, right?

It's times like this you are rightfully perceived as a Kopitar hater. You show the littlest appreciation for all he does and has done.
Kopitar's stats always lead the Kings, and yes, he is their best forward.

For a period of time after 2014, it seemed as if he took every other season off.

2014-15 - 18 goals
2016-17 - 13 goals
2018-19 - 22 goals

Kopitar signed his latest contract in January 2016, in the midst of one of his best offensive seasons.

Were the Kings getting consistent efforts offensively from Kopitar through what should have been some of his best years? I don't think so, and this is why he is a star, and not a superstar.

People often compare Kopitar to Bergeron. I look at Bergeron's production, and he is consistently up around 30 goals with over 200 shots per season. Are we really getting Kopitar's best at all times?

Last edited:
Reactions: DryIslandBartender

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kopitar's stats always lead the Kings, and yes, he is their best forward.

For a period of time after 2014, it seemed as if he took every other season off.

2014-15 - 18 goals
2016-17 - 13 goals
2018-19 - 22 goals

Kopitar signed his latest contract in January 2016, in the midst of one of his best offensive seasons.

Were the Kings getting consistent efforts offensively from Kopitar through what should have been some of his best years? I don't think so, and this is why he is a star, and not a superstar.

People often compare Kopitar to Bergeron. I look at Bergeron's production, and he is consistently up around 30 goals with over 200 shots per season. Are we really getting Kopitar's best at all times?

And yet--he was still better than Carter and led the team in scoring in all but one season.

2014-2015 was the team death year--he was still getting much harder minutes than Carter and still outscored and out-advanced-stats him despite injury.

Will grant 2016-2017, I don't think there's any reasonable case against it. That was Carter's 2nd best production season in the NHL and by far his best as a King...it took that AND a major falloff from Anze.

2018-2019, though, you must be smoking. Yes, Kopitar had "only" 60 points--as usual, his next closest non-linemate was nearly 30 points behind, and Carter put up 33 points. Might want to fact check that one.

That's all without diving heavily into the advanced stats and usage. If anything, one of the reasons Carter had been so disappointing in recent years is the Kings' "2C" slot is set up for some of the easiest minutes in the league.

If you want to talk about superstar consistency--you may want to check out other superstars. Nearly every one of them has dips like Kopitar (except McDavid. That's it. literally). Kopitar had an MVP caliber season to drag an awful team to the playoffs...and was doing it again this year. It's no wonder he'd be gassed at various stages with the kind of minutes and usage he's getting with this kind of team around him. Seriously, can we not find a good PKer yet?

You look at Bergeron's production and...realize he's playing with two of the best offensive players in the league and STILL isn't touching Anze.

Don't ever wonder why you're labeled a Kopitar hater. It's completely unreasonable and not based on any fact other than your gut feelings. If you think he should 'play better' or 'score more' realize he's consistently atop the advanced stats and usage while being 20-30 points clear of his closest teammates and more than that of people off his line. There's literally not much more he can do individually other than get angry and crush people as if he were Lindros.

it's frankly just really disappointing to me that he won't get his due from many fans until long after he's gone and they're picking on Byfield instead.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
During last seasons exit interviews, a reporter asked Carter if he was going to retire. He snarled. Looked almost offended by the question.

I knew right then he still had something to prove, and would probably play better than anyone expected the following season. I just didn't think it would be for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

When every player that leaves your team looks re-energized elsewhere, it means your organization is stale. I'm not really sure how you fix that problem.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Funny thing about Kopitar being called "not a superstar" while a player like McDavid gets lauded as well:
- Connor McDavid put up nearly 2.0 pts/gm this season.
- He was held without a point for only 11 games this season. Including (let's use the term by Kopitar critics) a three-game period where he was "asleep".
- Yet McDavid has put up 0 points in 2 games against Winnipeg. And it's not like Winnipeg was the premier defensive team - they were only the 10th best in goals against.

How many people were okay with Kopitar putting up 0 points in the first two games of the playoffs in 2018?

Heck, he still is often not debated as possibly the best player on the Kings team even though he's been tied for the team lead in scoring BOTH years the Kings won the cup while shutting down the opposition's top line.

I'm convinced there are some people who don't know how good they have it with Kopitar. The only hope is they'll realize it after he's no longer playing on the Kings.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I started ignoring one note posters a while ago. I know exactly who all of you are posting to even though I can no longer see his posts. Good grief find a fresh take. How many years does this hate boner last for?

Reactions: dick341

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I started ignoring one note posters a while ago. I know exactly who all of you are posting to even though I can no longer see his posts. Good grief find a fresh take. How many years does this hate boner last for?
Maybe you are tone deaf.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

Bergeron's OZone starts haven't been below 50% in 5 years:

Kopitar's OZone starts haven't been above 50% in 5 years:

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004

I still have a hate boner for Joseph Stumpel..... I think I should see a doctor as it’s lasted way longer than 4 seasons.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Gonna miss Penguins fans coming in to remind us how awesome Jeff Carter has been. Guess the Kings won't be getting that additional second round pick. Now go play 50 games next season, El Jefe.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Carts is doing all he can for Pitts!What great goals he has scored for the Pens...9 regular season and 4 and counting in play-offs...Kings sure could use him again if for nothing else...his leadership and professionalism!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Or let Kopitar play with Marchand and Pastrnak. Or even better let Bergeron play with Iafallo and Brown.
Kopi has played with slugs(Dusty and Yafallo) his whole career unless we are talking about Gaborik and Williams...now thems were players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad