Jeff Blashill - Half Season Impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It isn't ironic at all. I said the quote was indicative of pretentiousness. I consider that a character flaw. I didn't say anyone was stupid. You came to that conclusion all on your own.

It is funny that my finding fault with the quote is what people want to debate. I haven't seen any argument as to how Blashill has improved the team. He is only a little bit worse isn't an argument. Players are 9 months older isn't a convincing argument either.

So the leaders on this team getting older and worse means nothing and blashill should rev a Stanley cup to Detroit because of it?

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
It isn't ironic at all. I said the quote was indicative of pretentiousness. I consider that a character flaw. I didn't say anyone was stupid. You came to that conclusion all on your own.

It is funny that my finding fault with the quote is what people want to debate. I haven't seen any argument as to how Blashill has improved the team. He is only a little bit worse isn't an argument. Players are 9 months older isn't a convincing argument either.

That it's coming from you is ironic.

Keep moving them goalposts doe.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'm still not over AT touting Bab's intellectual prowess for having a slightly north of trite biblical quote on the wall compared to Blash's choice of motivational quote. Neither quote has anything to do with the outcome on the ice. Just for fun I'll voice my own skewed logic on the subject: Babcock is clearly a dullard that relied on proselytizing tactics to motivate the team whereas Blash truly understands the psyche of the contemporary athlete:thumbu:

I don't have enough time to address the use of the word 'pretentious' in this thread.

The team has not regressed, Larkin is thriving as a rookie, the team is competitive night in and out despite injuries, Wings are ahead of the 'superior' talent of tampa...I'm good with what Blash has done. It could be way worse, look at Toronto this year.

Last edited:

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I was gonna say that I like almost everything about Blashill besides the power play... but then he sat marchenko for Smith. .... so uhm, now everything sucks about blash ;) no but seriously, wtf are you doing Blashill?!?

But all a side, you've gotta give him a break, first year as head coach and he has had to deal with a lot of injuries and also getting the team used to the system. I also think that this road trip can help the team grow.

Actual Thought*

I'm still not over AT touting Bab's intellectual prowess for having a slightly north of trite biblical quote on the wall compared to Blash's choice of motivational quote. Neither quote has anything to do with the outcome on the ice. Just for fun I'll voice my own skewed logic on the subject: Babcock is clearly a dullard that relied on proselytizing tactics to motivate the team whereas Blash truly understands the psyche of the contemporary athlete:thumbu:

I don't have enough time to address the use of the word 'pretentious' in this thread.

The team has not regressed, Larkin is thriving as a rookie, the team is competitive night in and out despite injuries, Wings are ahead of the 'superior' talent of tampa...I'm good with what Blash has done. It could be way worse, look at Toronto this year.

Toronto has scored 2 less goals than Detroit. They have given up 3 more. Their starting goaltender has a .896 save %. Put Mrazek on Toronto and they are better than we are. The last 10 they are .500 just like we are.

Oct 18, 2006
Toronto has scored 2 less goals than Detroit. They have given up 3 more. Their starting goaltender has a .896 save %. Put Mrazek on Toronto and they are better than we are. The last 10 they are .500 just like we are.
Cool stats man. Remind me what the teams respective records are again?

Actual Thought*

Cool stats man. Remind me what the teams respective records are again?

They are 6 wins behind us with 2 games in hand. They have a better PP% and PK%. They rank 21st in goals behind us at 20th. They have given up 1 more goal than Detroit while scoring 5 less. Their record over the last 10 is identical to ours yet they are intentionally tanking.

And put Babcock behind our bench and our best forward is down in Grand Rapids still.

You mean like Jurco was? That argument doesn't hold water.

My apologies, I forgot that one week we were out of a divisional spot. That never happened with Babcock. :sarcasm:

They have been out of a divisional spot numerous times. They were out of a playoff spot just prior to Thanksgiving. Only a few games ago they were clinging to a wildcard by 1 point.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Lol Petr can only do so much. He isnt having any part of a vezina if hes in toronto.

Right now hes probably #2 in vezina voting. Or 3

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.

Reimer has a .936 save % better than Mrazek. Your arguments against Blash are getting ridiculous. Now you are saying Babcock's qoutes are obviously better than Blash's. When that is clearly just opinion.
Just as your opinion that everyone has regressed, the roster has improved over last year.
In all actuality, I think the wings haven't improved much under Blashill. They are basically the same as last year thru the first half of the season. I would understand your complaints if the wings were doing awful. But they aren't.
One other thing, Blash was raised in the U.P. I am from the U.P. You can describe a person from the the upper peninsula many different ways. But pretentious isn't one that works on many. I surely don't see Blash as pretentious. Nor do I see his quote pretentious. To me, I see it as a reminder to not let up. Or you can always do more. Or not to rest on your laurels.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
So much talk about the quote. Goodness.

really-seth-and-amy.jpeg

Detroit's hottest nightclub is Pretentious Quote. Located inside a crashing blimp, this Eurotrash utopia is the creation of beatnik doctor Soul Patch Adams. This place has everything: Zip lines, fish food, that fat Hawaiian guy that no one invited, and a naughty Canadian taskmaster named Dom Cherry. This weekend, they’re having a tournament of everybody’s favorite trivia game, “Courtney Love or Mike Ricci?†Look closely – the answer may surprise you.

182vixjh83ehipng.png

Good stuff Stephon!! Or Bench.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I don't like pretentious people either, actually. But if it was "pretentious" I don't think it would be a daily choice. The fact that he says it is a choice daily means that it is a choice you have to keep making, even if you have already attained greatness. If you don't continue to choose to take step towards greatness daily you will get passed. Honestly, it's a different wording of a lot of stuff Babcock preached.

But the mantra on the door is just a mantra. Babcock could have had anything up there but it wouldn't have mattered because he was compelling, and captivating, and was a leader of men.

I don't even know why it's a big deal.

I'm gonna tell my boss I'm not gonna work as hard because I find the motivational quote he has in his office pretentious.

Blashill is doing fine. Dats, Zed and Kronwall have looked slower this year and them being our big 3 hurts us. I dont think the system is the reason why Nyquist and Tatar arent looking as good either

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
OP keeps insisting the Wings will miss the playoffs. The Wings have been in a divisional spot since day one.

Smith is also definitely better than last season. If you're going to ***** on Blashill at least try not to make stuff up.

Hard to improve your record when your three most important players (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall) have all had noticeable declines, but I didn't expect you to recognize that because it doesn't fit your agenda. Blashill has this team about where Babcock would have this team.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
OP keeps insisting the Wings will miss the playoffs. The Wings have been in a divisional spot since day one.

Now that is simply not true. This one time they were in a wildcard spot. Now because you made this small mistake you are declared wrong in terms of the internet guidelines :sarcasm:

TouringReg

Sep 27, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
We have basically an identical point total to what we had this time last year, and I'm expecting us to have a better March/April to end the season than last year. My biggest complaint right now is the PP.

I was done with Babcock (and I think he was done with the Wings) when I saw Drew Miller on the ice with less than 5 minutes left down by a goal against TB in game 7 last year.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
We have basically an identical point total to what we had this time last year, and I'm expecting us to have a better March/April to end the season than last year. My biggest complaint right now is the PP.

I was done with Babcock (and I think he was done with the Wings) when I saw Drew Miller on the ice with less than 5 minutes left down by a goal against TB in game 7 last year.

I remember the time Kindl was our extra attacker, ah the good days

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

People want to debate it because you've been running around here for months screaming that it proves he's pretentious, as though it's a fact. Meanwhile, you just dismiss away the decline of our three best players as though it's not happening, while using the quote to tell us that Blashill is "dim" (your words). If you want to argue that Blashill is a bad coach, fine, do that, but at least be open-minded enough to look at the fact that our best players are all in their upper 30s and on the downside of their careers and don't dismiss it away because it "isn't a convincing argument."

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Yes, Bernier has a.896 save% in 20 starts but Reimer has a .937 with a 1.98 GAA in 19 starts... In case you aren't aware that's better than Mrazek numbers.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Now that is simply not true. This one time they were in a wildcard spot. Now because you made this small mistake you are declared wrong in terms of the internet guidelines :sarcasm:

My apologies, I forgot that one week we were out of a divisional spot. That never happened with Babcock. :sarcasm:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
One other thing, Blash was raised in the U.P. I am from the U.P. You can describe a person from the the upper peninsula many different ways. But pretentious isn't one that works on many. I surely don't see Blash as pretentious. Nor do I see his quote pretentious. To me, I see it as a reminder to not let up. Or you can always do more. Or not to rest on your laurels.

I grew up in the UP too:handclap::yo:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

And put Babcock behind our bench and our best forward is down in Grand Rapids still.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You mean like Jurco was? That argument doesn't hold water.

Like Nyquist was. Like Tatar started the year as a healthy scratch. In favor of "heavy players". Jurco plays heavy. Larkin really doesn't, and I don't see Babcock playing a 19 year old that is as light on his skates as Larkin. "Tie goes to the veteran", remember? Since I know you like quotes.

Kind of like how Nylander is in the A right now.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Like Nyquist was. Like Tatar started the year as a healthy scratch. In favor of "heavy players". Jurco plays heavy. Larkin really doesn't, and I don't see Babcock playing a 19 year old that is as light on his skates as Larkin. "Tie goes to the veteran", remember? Since I know you like quotes.

Kind of like how Nylander is in the A right now.

Nylander is in the A right now because the leafs are trying to copy the wings :laugh:

They are gonna scratch their heads when it doesn't work.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
You do not know this. He's clearly too good for GR, he'd be here regardless of the coach

If he wasn't in grand rapids, he would still be playing with scrubs like Miller/Glendenning just like Jurco is.

Richards, Abby, Zetterberg, Sheahan are far from scrubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad