News Article: Jed Ortmeyer/Players Tribune

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Great article. Him and Tyutin are kind the forefathers of the youth movement and first generation of young players the Rangers had even before Prucha/Betts/Hollweg/etc.

I remember the game he came back in 06-07 against Boston back when the Bruins were really struggling. It was on VS and they had him mic'd up, and him and Tyutin were head banging to that awful POD song Youth Of A Nation during warmups I think he had 3 points that game.

Hockey players do some crazy things to play. Remember when Rem Murray had a neck issue and gave up his insurance just to play the 05-06 season? He got so close to a Cup.

For a minute I thought I was at that game, but that one was away.

He actually played against the Bruins a few games before that and scored on a penalty shot, which was his only goal for almost the entire season.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
For a minute I thought I was at that game, but that one was away.

He actually played against the Bruins a few games before that and scored on a penalty shot, which was his only goal for almost the entire season.

I was at that penalty shot game. It was amazing.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I was at that penalty shot game. It was amazing.

That was back when I still had season tix so I went to a bunch that year but that game still stands out. Jed scoring on a PS was hysterical.

That was also the first game I brought my 7 year old nephew to; that game turned him into a big Ranger fan but that goal turned him into a big Jed fan.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I loved Ortmeyer as a player but I have to say I'm surprised the Rangers let him play again. If it had been me in Sather's spot knowing what they knew he would have never played (at least for the Rangers) again. The last thing I'd be willing to do is gamble with someone's life like that. I'd give him a job within the organization or something but that would be end for him as a player.

Having said that, I'm not surprised that Ortmeyer went to those lengths. The guy had stone hands (though I think I remember him scoring a penalty shot goal) and underwhelming stick skills, but he could skate and was a relentless forechecker and backchecker and a great penalty killer. And I'm not surprised he went to those lengths because he was a reckless player who played every shift of every game like it might be his last one. He did some crazy ****--especially his shot blocking--putting his head and hands in the way of shots if he had to--which happened quite often.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
That was back when I still had season tix so I went to a bunch that year but that game still stands out. Jed scoring on a PS was hysterical.

That was also the first game I brought my 7 year old nephew to; that game turned him into a big Ranger fan but that goal turned him into a big Jed fan.

Was there too. 1pm game on a Saturday vs the Bruins. Fun day

Back when we had afternoon weekend games. :shakehead

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Good article...

I was at the Garden for the game when Orts scored on a penalty shot.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Jed Ortmeyer was one of the big reasons we turned this franchise around.

nobody really wants to admit it, but its true. we went from having a team full of guys looking to cash checks, to having guys like Moore, Orts, Betts, and even Hollweg, who would run through a brick wall if you asked them to.

Guys with guts, heart, effort..but lack skill....were the guys who started the movement into effort every game.

we had so many guys who just flat out didnt show up. Once these guys got here, it because a team of guys who played hard...and then the skilled kids who came up also played hard.

Hes a huge reason this ship turned around....and some guy name Jagr, and some kid named Lundqvist.

Agreed. Looking forward to reading this article. Jed was always a player I really appreciated. Guy fell down at least ten times a game, but he just got back up and kept going.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England

nobody really wants to admit it, but its true. we went from having a team full of guys looking to cash checks, to having guys like Moore, Orts, Betts, and even Hollweg, who would run through a brick wall if you asked them to.

Guys with guts, heart, effort..but lack skill....were the guys who started the movement into effort every game.

we had so many guys who just flat out didnt show up. Once these guys got here, it because a team of guys who played hard...and then the skilled kids who came up also played hard.

Hes a huge reason this ship turned around....and some guy name Jagr, and some kid named Lundqvist.

Absolutely right. The salary cap had a lot to do with it as well, but these guys showed management that not only would the fans support no-name players, but that perversely, young players with effort would quickly became fan favorites, win or lose. That's resulted in where we are now which is a pretty damn special place when you look at the ****show franchises around the league and especially close to home.;)

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

And Tom Renney.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If Jed Ortmeyer's motor is available, the Rangers should give up a pick so they can transplant it into Chris Kreider.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
Always was a huge fan of Jed...

And that's a tremendous article. Great stuff with Jagr and Mess as well.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I loved Ortmeyer! He reminded me of Eddie Johnstone. Very similar playing styles. I'm happy to read this that he's doing well now. Great article!!

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I wonder what his Corsi was

Better than you'd think :)

In the data that Corsica has for him (07-08 thru 11-12), in meaningful sample sizes, his worst adjusted relSA% was -2.2%

The season he played 75 games for the Sharks, he was a (barely) positive 0.03%.

Jed was a dynamite shot suppressor:

07-08: -6.44 relSA per 60
09-10: -4.11
11-12: +4.25 (bad year, only 35 games, 34 years old, didn't play in the NHL after).

(insufficient data for 08-09 (2 games) and 10-11 (4 games))

I wish we had his Rangers numbers, but I'd imagine we'd see more of the same. He didn't exactly get better at hockey after leaving NYR.

The thing is, I think you'd find that more often than not, what the numbers say and what your eyes say line up. (Not saying this is something you do, Jon, because you don't) But the issue tends to arise when people's eyes and the numbers disagree, then the numbers are crap. But when your eyes and the numbers agree, well, then there's your proof!

Surprised everyone's location on HF isn't Edina, MN :)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Interesting. I normally see guys like him being **** on by the stats, so its nice that he wasn't totally bad in that regard.

Well he could skate.

There's generally nothing wrong with a lunch pail player who works hard if he has that basic skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad