The Players' Tribune: Jed Ortmeyer – The Feeling You’d Die For

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
He's a grown man, and gets to make his own life decisions. There are a lot of people who do totally dangerous things for fun every weekend, and they know the risks. I don't think this case is all that different.

Go get em, Jed! Good luck!

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
We all make life choices, some that have little or a high risk associated with them.
Can't say I blame him for wanting to go after working on his dream all his life. But, I will say I'm glad he stepped away once he knew he was going to have a kid.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Should have won the Masterton the year he was nominated. As sad as it was what happened to Theodore, playing knowing that any time you bleed could be your life is total dedication.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
As a Devils fan, I always respected Jed Ortmeyer when he was a ranger. Guy made it to the NHL through sheer will. He never should have made it, his technical abilities besides skating were just well.. below average to say the least. That's the nicest way I could term it. But he always gave 110% and no reguad for his safety, border line reckless. Great penalty killer who would block a shot with his teeth if he had too. Great teammate and character guy. Him playing through a blood clot doesn't suprise me at all. Sounds just like him.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
As a Devils fan, I always respected Jed Ortmeyer when he was a ranger. Guy made it to the NHL through sheer will. He never should have made it, his technical abilities besides skating were just well.. below average to say the least. That's the nicest way I could term it. But he always gave 110% and no reguad for his safety, border line reckless. Great penalty killer who would block a shot with his teeth if he had too. Great teammate and character guy. Him playing through a blood clot doesn't suprise me at all. Sounds just like him.

As someone pointed out on the Rangers board, he was the beginning of the turnaround for the Rangers. Jed and some of the other players who came up right behind him (Dom Moore, Ryan Hollweg, Blair Betts, etc.) started a trend of prospects busting their humps and showing up hungry. I don't think its a coincidence that the guys who came soon after (Callahan, Dubinsky, Girardi, etc.) had the same mentality.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
For all that the early-to-mid-2000's Rangers weren't any good, walking into that locker room and seeing Hall of Famers just strewn about like tinsel on the Christmas tree must have been an absolute mind ****. haha. I've followed Ortmeyer's career in passing like I do all former U Michigan guys, but never knew the details of his medical problems. What a story.
it seems like every other hockey entry in TPT these days is hawking their post-retirement-athlete-program
An anonymous mention with a link at the bottom of the story hardly qualifies as "hawking." Great piece.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
"You gotta die somewhere"

Funny, that's how I feel about MSG. But that's completely different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad