• Total voters

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I have 4 names I would highly consider as for now:

Stephane Julien
Stephane Robidas
Jason Pominville

And I’m curious about Serge Aubin who I know less well then the 3 others.

I would like to add Carl Malette to the coaching staff too who would be a great add for the PP and the forward group
Stephane Julien looks like a strong candidate
Pominville's coaching experience looks a bit limited

What about Jim Hulton - not sure if he's bilingual but he'd be on my list

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Stephane Julien looks like a strong candidate
Pominville's coaching experience looks a bit limited

What about Jim Hulton - not sure if he's bilingual but he'd be on my list
Sadly not because he would have been on top of my list even in 2021 before we hired JF Houle. I have a lot of respect for him who is in my mind the best coach in the Q for the past 10 years and should have been promote somewhere.

For Pominville, he’s in the same route then MSL. He’s doing a great job in minor hockey for La région de la Lanaudière and he have a major role in the development of Alexis Joseph, one of the best prospect from Quebec in the past 20 years

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I have 4 names I would highly consider as for now:

Stephane Julien
Stephane Robidas
Jason Pominville

And I’m curious about Serge Aubin who I know less well then the 3 others.

I would like to add Carl Malette to the coaching staff too who would be a great add for the PP and the forward group
Last I heard Pominville was playing beer league & coaching his kids in Buffalo area where he seems happy living. I recall Shawinigan retired his number but not sure he wants to move the family to Mtl..

He would be an interesting candidate though

Sadly not because he would have been on top of my list even in 2021 before we hired JF Houle. I have a lot of respect for him who is in my mind the best coach in the Q for the past 10 years and should have been promote somewhere.

For Pominville, he’s in the same route then MSL. He’s doing a great job in minor hockey for La région de la Lanaudière and he have a major role in the development of Alexis Joseph, one of the best prospect from Quebec in the past 20 years
I stand corrected I did not know he was coaching Pionniers de Lanaudière

Reactions: Vachon23

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
FWIW the title of Marinaros podcast today is that he expects big changes in Laval

Listened to the episode, Marcotte was the guest and they did recap of the Rocket. Marcotte mentioned that under the circumstances, JF Houle did a good job and that every player backed him in the exit interviews.

However, Marcotte mentioned that as of last night, there have been zero discussions between JF Houle and the organization regarding an extension. He also says there will be changes in Laval. And if JF Houle is back, Marcotte could see someone like Byron join the coaching staff. He also said that during the COVID season, Bouillon helped behind the bench for a few games and he hated the experience and prefers his current role in player development.

I know Kelly Buchberger will leave. There were rumors he would be leaving last off-season to return home in Western Canada, but he ended up staying. And his contract is up so he will surely be gone.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Listened to the episode, Marcotte was the guest and they did recap of the Rocket. Marcotte mentioned that under the circumstances, JF Houle did a good job and that every player backed him in the exit interviews.

However, Marcotte mentioned that as of last night, there have been zero discussions between JF Houle and the organization regarding an extension. He also says there will be changes in Laval. And if JF Houle is back, Marcotte could see someone like Byron join the coaching staff. He also said that during the COVID season, Bouillon helped behind the bench for a few games and he hated the experience and prefers his current role in player development.

I know Kelly Buchberger will leave. There were rumors he would be leaving last off-season to return home in Western Canada, but he ended up staying. And his contract is up so he will surely be gone.

Yeah Houle is gone, no contact on an extension isn't promising for him. Hughes and Gorton are going to identify their staff that they trust to develop and implement their vision.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
FWIW the title of Marinaros podcast today is that he expects big changes in Laval
Listened to it.

Marcotte didn't seem to think Houle will be back, but didn't full back it.

At the end he dropped a bit of a bomb thinking Paul Byron could be a coach there.

He mentioned Bouillon was offered thar spot a few years ago and turned it down as he doesn't like coaching.

Byron has spent a lot of time around the team this year - Marcotte

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yeah Houle is gone, no contact on an extension isn't promising for him. Hughes and Gorton are going to identify their staff that they trust to develop and implement their vision.

You never know. But it does seem like there will be a complete change in coaching staff.

Marcotte also mentioned that a lot of times this year, Adam Nicholas and Scott Pelerin were running practices and JF Houle was there but not in charge of it.

He said that sometimes, they needed to pass the Zamboni because they really used the ice doing the drills.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You never know. But it does seem like there will be a complete change in coaching staff.

Marcotte also mentioned that a lot of times this year, Adam Nicholas and Scott Pelerin were running practices and JF Houle was there but not in charge of it.

He said that sometimes, they needed to pass the Zamboni because they really used the ice doing the drills.
That sounds like something that will happen no matter who the coach is. The goal of the AHL team is player development so it makes sense that the player development team is heavily involved in the AHL practices.They should be a collaboration between the AHL coaches and the player development staff, and when they are more focused on development then having Nicholas run it makes sense.

Honestly in an organization hierarchy chart I'd even have the AHL coaches be under that player development umbrella.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal

Godin made the exact same observations (about Nicholas running drills, about the Zamboni) in his podcast, to the point where I wonder if that Marcotte guy isn't just repeating what Godin said.

• Haha
Reactions: Adam Michaels

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
To be honest, I would make the change too and I already have a list of candidates in mind

But I don’t think Houle is a bad coach the blame can’t be only on him

well said! :clap:

I really like the Byron idea, he might do wonders for the PK, the special teams must get better. Hutson feeding Mailloux could be epic for PP1.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
David Quinn was the Habs 1st choice when they hired Stephane Robidas.

Could they put Robidas as HC of the Rocket since he knows MSL philosophy and system and he work with both Nicholas and Pellerin in the development staff in Toronto.

Quinn would bring experience in the coaching staff

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

Could they put Robidas as HC of the Rocket since he knows MSL philosophy and system and he work with both Nicholas and Pellerin in the development staff in Toronto.

I'm not impressed by what Quinn has done personally.

Reactions: morhilane

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

That's not a bad idea, they can have Byron be one of the assistants in Laval with him. I'd be happy with a bit more experience with the big team as well, it's a win-win.

Reactions: Vachon23

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Lots of good candidates in this thread, but I'd personally really like if Jay Pandolfo would leave his cushy BU head-coaching gig (vey unlikely unless an NHL head-coach job came along) to be head coach in Laval.

He does not speak french, and that might annoy/anger some in our fanbase (or outside voices with political agendas that make themselves heard whenever it suits their purposes) but he's a very good coach and I think would be incredible for Laval.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Lots of good candidates in this thread, but I'd personally really like if Jay Pandolfo would leave his cushy BU head-coaching gig (vey unlikely unless an NHL head-coach job came along) to be head coach in Laval.

He does not speak french, and that might annoy/anger some in our fanbase (or outside voices with political agendas that make themselves heard whenever it suits their purposes) but he's a very good coach and I think would be incredible for Laval.
Don’t think he will quit BU for an AHL job but I would offer him Letowski or Burrows job

Reactions: Treb

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Just a different point of view from other part of the world, I voted yes. JFH ticks all the tasks you would set for your AHL head coach.
  • Using the same system as NHL team
  • Developing prospects- Struble, Roy, Xhekaj & Armia stints in AHL, RHP & Ylonen previous season
  • Dobeš, Mailloux had very good AHL season, Farrell, Kidney, Davidson were OK in pro debut
  • Depth players ready to step up to NHL if neccessary- both Gignac and Stephens served better on 4th line than Colin White
  • Missing playoffs is only missing spot, but that was missed by bad management decisions at the start of the season. Having some AHL vet goalie would probably prevent a lot of losses at the begining. Trades at TDL did not help as well.
You cannot really expect more, so change in this position does not really make sense. Changing assistent coaches might be an option.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Just a different point of view from other part of the world, I voted yes. JFH ticks all the tasks you would set for your AHL head coach.
  • Using the same system as NHL team
  • Developing prospects- Struble, Roy, Xhekaj & Armia stints in AHL, RHP & Ylonen previous season
  • Dobeš, Mailloux had very good AHL season, Farrell, Kidney, Davidson were OK in pro debut
  • Depth players ready to step up to NHL if neccessary- both Gignac and Stephens served better on 4th line than Colin White
  • Missing playoffs is only missing spot, but that was missed by bad management decisions at the start of the season. Having some AHL vet goalie would probably prevent a lot of losses at the begining. Trades at TDL did not help as well.
You cannot really expect more, so change in this position does not really make sense. Changing assistent coaches might be an option.

JF Houle deserves credit. He's done a good job with Laval and in particular the players the organization wants to be the focus of the team. I'm okay if they bring him back. But I think it's time to move on from him mainly because I think it's a chance for this management to put their stamp on the AHL staff.

If they do put Byron on the coaching staff like Marcotte can see happening, it's a little more of that out-of-the-box thinking we know HuGo has the tendency to do. And with Byron already on the player development staff, he can be a good coach to have for that particular reason, the development of the players.

If they do a complete overhaul, it's exciting to see who they bring in.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
JF Houle deserves credit. He's done a good job with Laval and in particular the players the organization wants to be the focus of the team. I'm okay if they bring him back. But I think it's time to move on from him mainly because I think it's a chance for this management to put their stamp on the AHL staff.

If they do put Byron on the coaching staff like Marcotte can see happening, it's a little more of that out-of-the-box thinking we know HuGo has the tendency to do. And with Byron already on the player development staff, he can be a good coach to have for that particular reason, the development of the players.

If they do a complete overhaul, it's exciting to see who they bring in.
This just looks like classic "Grass is always greener on the othe side" scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad