Rumor: Jean Beliveau is very ill (UPD: recovering at home from pneumonia)

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs 1h
#Habs Jean Béliveau, in frail health, has lived his generous life w/ dignity, class & grace. He & his family deserve privacy. Respect that.

:(

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
These great Habs linger in our memories. I had the privilege of seeing those who played from 1946 on. Maurice Richard remains my all-time hockey hero and Jean Béliveau ranks next. I would be sad not to see him again. For someone as old as I am to retain these feelings attests to their greatness.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
These great Habs linger in our memories. I had the privilege of seeing those who played from 1946 on. Maurice Richard remains my all-time hockey hero and Jean Béliveau ranks next. I would be sad not to see him again. For someone as old as I am to retain these feelings attests to their greatness.

Red is that you?

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
To me, Henri is not a mega star. He was a star. He had a long career, he did good and he won a lot of cups on very talented teams. Roy, yes. I forgot about him.

But you have to admit that it's getting pretty thin here.

Statistically Henri did more than his brother for this team. But he lived in the shadow of his brother.

Last edited:

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
To me, Henri is not a mega star. He was a star. He had a long career, he did good and he won a lot of cups on very talented teams. Roy, yes. I forgot about him.

But you have to admit that it's getting pretty thin here.

Oh and Henri's record of 11 stanley cups is the only record in the entire NHL that will never ever be beaten.

Amongst all major professional sports only Bill Russell, with 11 NBA championships with the Boston Celtics, has as many championships as Henri Richard.

You're right he's not a megastar Henri will forever be a legend.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Oh and Henri's record of 11 stanley cups is the only record in the entire NHL that will never ever be beaten.

Amongst all major professional sports only Bill Russell, with 11 NBA championships with the Boston Celtics, has as many championships as Henri Richard.

You're right he's not a megastar Henri will forever be a legend.

The Habs were fortunate to have him but he was fortunate to have played for the Habs in that era, surrounded by megastars.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Statistically Henri did more than his brother for this team. But he lived in the shadow of his brother.

He didn't suffer the severe injuries that befell his brother (not to mention the suspension, which cut into Maurice's playoff stats). While he couldn't score goals at his brother's pace he was the better playmaker.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Bruins fan coming in peace here. I'm old enough to have watched Jean in his last competitive year when I was a kid.

Even as a Bruins fan, it was impossible not to respect that era's Montreal teams and their greatness. Nobody personified it more than the elegant Mr. Beliveau.

Here's hoping for better days for a great man.

It pleases the heart to hear these kind words from fans of his opponents, only more proof of the type of man Mr. Beliveau is and has been his entire life.

Hoping for the best.

I saw him play when I was younger. Have HUGE respect for him.

As do I having watched him in the 50's in Montreal when I lived there, so very nice to hear these words from yet another Boston Bruin fan, hockey crosses barriers and Jean Beliveau personifies that. Many best wishes again to my favorite Montreal Canadien player and his loved ones at this very hard time, you will always be a guiding light for others.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Another Bruins fan coming in peace.

I've always respected Jean Belliveau- a great player and more important a true gentleman. I'm sorry to hear that his health is failing.

I hope he is not suffering and when his time does come he will go easily.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
According to Dave Stubbs who spoke with Beliveau's wife, he's recovering from a pneumonia and that's all. Nowhere near death as some speculated. Good to hear.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
According to Dave Stubbs who spoke with Beliveau's wife, he's recovering from a pneumonia and that's all. Nowhere near death as some speculated. Good to hear.

Pneumonia at that age can't be good. But good to hear about him recovering.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

Nice too hear that Jean's health is not as bad as feared here initially, at 83 yrs.old pneumonia can be beaten, Mr.Beliveau my prayers are with you. I look forward to seeing you at the games when you have fully recovered, now the Habs need to win another SC for Big Jean!:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

Pneumonia is the grim reaper in seniors. It's usually the immediate cause of death for elderly people with other underlying conditions. It's not good news.

Hang in there Jean.

Edit: Oops, I did not realize that Jean is at home and not in hospital. That's definitely a good sign.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The bloody media and their speculation just to get hits on a website. Like last week when some site posted that Betty White had died.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad