Rumor: Jean Beliveau is very ill (UPD: recovering at home from pneumonia)

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
I hope it's just a rumor. I've seen it multiple times on Facebook today.

"Word is out that Mr. Belliveau is very ill and under 100 lbs. Please join with me as we unite and pray for this wonderful human being. Please Lord, give Jean and his family strength during this most difficult time. ~Amen"

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
A few years ago he was near death as well, we were prepared to launch our special articles and videos about him, his life and career. Somehow he managed to stay alive and we always joked that he would die at the worst possible time when we would all be in vacation or something.

Let's just say that the week before I left the sports department we started digging up all the texts and stuff again. That was over a month ago. Last I heard he wasn't going really well.

Let's hope for the best.

Analyzer*

He's one tough mofo. Hopefully he can pull through this one, too.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Yep, hope all is well with Le Gros Bill.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
My girlfriend is a nurse in internal medicine at the montreal general and rumors are true. Unfortunately he has dementia right now.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
My girlfriend is a nurse in internal medicine at the montreal general and rumors are true. Unfortunately he has dementia right now.

Very sad. Along with Gordie, he's one of the last remaining hockey gods of yesteryear. You knew he wasn't immortal, and yet...

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC

No! :(

That's awful! I hope they're keeping him good and comfortable, at least.

Thoughts to his family.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
6'3 100 lbs? Wait what?

BEst hope to him I know how it's to live life with a disease, its hard but Jean is getting older so his issues may have do to with age.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Toe Blake talking about Jean-I have never heard any derogatory comments about him.As a hockey player and a gentleman Jean is unbeatable,he has no equal

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
A belated Happy 83rd Birthday to the great Jean Beliveau, and so many thanks for the memories I will always cherish, all of my best wishes to Jean and his loved ones.:nod::nod:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
At 83, this shouldn't be surprising but man, it's a punch to the gut. Hope he makes it out.

Praying for you, Monsieur Beliveau.

This pretty much explains what Im feeling.

I had no idea that things had deteriorated to this point.

Hard believe that just 4 years ago, he was at the bell center pumping up glen metropolit before a playoff game, and looking pretty good.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Bruins fan coming in peace here. I'm old enough to have watched Jean in his last competitive year when I was a kid.

Even as a Bruins fan, it was impossible not to respect that era's Montreal teams and their greatness. Nobody personified it more than the elegant Mr. Beliveau.

Here's hoping for better days for a great man.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
We all got to go sometime. You still have time. REPENT YOU SINNERS before it's too late. Jean Beliveau has lived a long and proper life. If it's his time, I fear NOT for his soul.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
I wish all the best for Jean and his family.

Last edited by a moderator:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Sadly, I can confirm this news is true.

Our department received news in June that he was in poor shape and we re-cut and re-voiced his obit piece then. Since then, from what I've been told, his condition has worsened.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004

I know this is the internet and there is some anonymity but you should really be careful about posting stuff like this. I work in a hospital so I speak with some knowledge of confidentiality rules and health care.

At any rate, it sounds like at this point all we can wish is for him to be comfortable in his last days more so than hoping for a recovery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad