Jean Béliveau video footage from the QMHL, early 1950s

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Since I was a kid, every time there's some historical video-clip of the great Jean Béliveau, it always shows one clip of him scoring on a breakaway, presumably at le Colisée de Québec, possible between 1951 and 1953.

That very brief clip can be seen here (part of Stephen Brunt's tribute to Béliveau, after his death 5+ years ago), a few seconds after you 'play' it:

That footage just before it is in really good quality too, but the clip of Béliveau on the breakaway is in such pristine quality that it looks like it could have been filmed last week (color-drained, of course)!!

It's kind of exciting to know that footage of this quality still exists, but it raises some questions, like:
-- If there's footage of this fine quality of early-50s' QMHL, why isn't there equally good footage from the NHL?
-- Is there more of this game footage, and where is the actual footage? Is it being protected for posterity?
-- The breakaway scene is lit and shot so well, it almost looks staged. Was that from an actual game? Does anyone know the event / date?

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
Is it just me or does Beliveau not always seem a lot like McDavid? The way they skate and handle the puck, and the patience they have on the last move of a breakaway. Both excellent skaters in terms of their edgework as well.

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
Someone on the mainboard said Beliveau had hands like Patrick Kane, I thought he was blowing smoke out his ass but I can kinda see it here

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
I figure Beliveau is "Lemieux Light" - which still makes him GREAT. He even led the Canadiens in points in his last season at 39 years old, and the Canadiens were still the best team (along with Boston) at the time. I think he and Mario were very similar in size, style, elegance, and finesse, with Beliveau being maybe 80-90% as good, if they played in the same era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad