Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Listening to this JD call with STHs and the first question was about Letestu

-has to see if a marriage works
-had a good talk at the end of season
-realizes that Letestu wants back
-JD and Jarmo need to figure out where everyone signed fits in then will make that decision

-JD going to Prague to watch and talk to Reilly
-Reilly is a perfect fit for this team

-need to upgrade the defense

-no firm timeline on captain
-meeting in near future to begin talking
-believes that as a group they have it figured out
-players, coaches, mgmt all have say in process
-doesn't want to make a mistake and have a situation where they take the C away from someone down the line

-Cmac will be discussed in offseason meetings
-also wants to be back and help finish the job
-"if its not curtis, you have to ask who is it?"

-room is one of closest he's seen
-several tough decisions to make this offseason (duh)

-best acquisition "all of them helped us"...identified Hartnell in his politically speaking about the topic

-injuries were fluky, but staff will be looked at

-coaching staff has done a really good job, looking forward to next year

-future of Jared Boll, "good honest talk"
-challenged him to work on his speed, because he has to in order to compete in this NHL
-he needs a good summer
-"as we evolve, we have to continue to make our team better"
-have to be able to trust all of our players to play when and how we need them to, he has a long road ahead of him

-will try to move up, believes ZERO chance anyone trades the 1 or 2 pick
-will take BPA
-will look to move back up with 2nds and 3rds we have

-may move forward prospects/picks for defenseman, then quickly said "not saying we will do it, but its something you look at"

-should/could be exciting here for a long time

-ASG and direction of this team should help sell players coming here

-someone asked about getting Marcus and Mike Foligno here, JD laughed

-scouting meetings will ramp up soon

-6 (as in the 6% chance we have) is JD's favorite number

-Rychel has a concussion (not sure we knew that?)
-most young depth this club has ever had
-spelled out Bjorkstrand to Bob so he knows how to do it

-amateur scouts have been all over b/c no one knows how the draft past 2 will sort out
-computer system syncs up all the scouting reports and reports from our scouts...JD/Jarmo read daily

annnnnnd wrap...

Last edited:

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Best part of the call was the info on Boll. It's good to see that they see that he is not good enough for this team right now and it sounds like he has a lot of work to do this summer to stay on the team.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Thanks for the info! Seems like most of us are on the same page as JD. Just good to hear it all being reinforced

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
In regards to Letestu, this will go right up to free agency. I bet mgmt won't figure it out until after the draft in case someone gets moved. With the glut of forwards, it's probably safe to say someone will get moved at the draft.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I hope Letestu comes back. But for that to happen, someone needs to get moved.

I can't imagine too many pieces will move. Well, out of our forwards anyways.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Boll----good honest talk

He's done. I appreciate him accepting the fights throughout the years in Columbus, but unless we have 500 man games lost again next year, He's played his last game here.

I think the forth line scored more goals the last 5 games of the year without him than they did the first 77 with him

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think the Boll thing is pretty self explanatory. I don't think people can get much faster, you either have it or not. Thanks for the info Fro, interesting.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Boll----good honest talk

He's done. I appreciate him accepting the fights throughout the years in Columbus, but unless we have 500 man games lost again next year, He's played his last game here.

I think the forth line scored more goals the last 5 games of the year without him than they did the first 77 with him

Prout has rightfully overtaken the enforcer title anyways. :)

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I was glad to hear the info on Boll. At least the team is being straight forward now it's up to Boll. if he can "add a step" and play in the new NHL that's great he can be the 12-14th forward. But question remains if he can't (and again I think that is likely) then what?
Every thing else I expected to hear. Letestu was same conversation on hear - we all want him back but unless some moves are made (Arty or Cam, etc being moved) likely no room for him unless we somehow move some dead weight (Boll for example) to open up a roster spot. Even if that happens, could we pay him enough (and long enough) as our 4th line C? That's the issue. Comes down if Arty (or Cam) is moved in a deal for a D-man then it makes a lot of sense for us to pay him, if we're looking at him as a 4th one C with 14 other one way contracts for forwards then he will go else where.
I liked the talk - as a STH I'm much more interested in things like that than most of the other crap they do. They still will not talk about specifics (and rightfully so) but he in my mind laid out the off-season:
1. Want to upgrade blue line
2. Needs to evaluate and see where the UFA and RFA fit (Letestu, McH, Calvert)
3. Take the best player in the draft
4. Fill in other open spots - potentially backup tender if McH goes, and d-men (as noted in #1)

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Best part of the call was the info on Boll. It's good to see that they see that he is not good enough for this team right now and it sounds like he has a lot of work to do this summer to stay on the team.

Again issue is he has a contract for next season, so not like we can say "not fast enough", thanks. Have to hope someone is looking for an undersized enforcer, or in typical CBJ fashion we'll trade our junk for someone else's (another bad contract). I hope I have to eat my words and the CBJ would buy him out, but I think we'll be stuck with him next season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Again issue is he has a contract for next season, so not like we can say "not fast enough", thanks. Have to hope someone is looking for an undersized enforcer, or in typical CBJ fashion we'll trade our junk for someone else's (another bad contract). I hope I have to eat my words and the CBJ would buy him out, but I think we'll be stuck with him next season.

I remember them. Coolin' at the playground.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Buyout of Boll = $570k per year
Rychel (or other) = 975K (or less)

Total of about 1.6 mill approximates Boll's salary.

Only additional cost is 2 years at 570 per down the road.

As CBJWennberg pointed out guys don't get faster as they get older.
He should be bought out or traded for a pick.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
In regards to Letestu, this will go right up to free agency. I bet mgmt won't figure it out until after the draft in case someone gets moved. With the glut of forwards, it's probably safe to say someone will get moved at the draft.

Fro's translation is almost copied verbatim from what they said about MacKenzie. I don't think that's a good sign.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
-JD going to Prague to watch and talk to Reilly
-Reilly is a perfect fit for this team

Just an inordinate amount of attention being paid to this kid. I understand the organization wanting to bear the fruit of its investment, but man...

Also, I'd have felt better if he said perfect fit for "this organization" than "this team". Is that a direct quote?

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I'd rather have Letestu than Reilly. Am I weird?

Especially if Boll takes a seat. Any two players with Letestu almost promises to be an effective fourth line which lets us roll them at will.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Just an inordinate amount of attention being paid to this kid. I understand the organization wanting to bear the fruit of its investment, but man...

Also, I'd have felt better if he said perfect fit for "this organization" than "this team". Is that a direct quote?

honestly, can't remember...I think he said team...but can't say for certain...the GF wouldn't stop talking while I was trying to listen... :laugh:

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I like Letestu and want to see him stay, but I'm not as set in my convictions about him like I was MacKenzie. I still think DMac not being here was a big loss to this club. Might have able to weather the **** storm a little better this year.

Second, (clearing my singing voice) Happy Trailllllssss Bolllleerrrr, until we meet again. I know he's popular and great in the community (the community is more impressive to me actually), but he doesn't fit in with this club anymore. That space needs to be cleared. It's finally part of the evolution of this club that we've never seen since it's inauguration. I'm sure that all efforts will be made to trade him rather than buy him out. Might be easier and cheaper to retain some salary (2 years) versus a buyout (4 years).

This Reilly stuff actually pisses me off more than anything. The resources and expenditures used trying to sign a kid that frankly isn't sending the vibes he wants to be here is baffling. Sending JD across the globe to coddle this kid is a bit much for me. I think they should of have just said we feel we offer a great situation for you, we're young, we're offering a max entry-level contract and we really want you to be a Blue Jacket and then leave it at that. I'm just not sure he'll make a massive impact in his first pro season.

I'm more intrigued by the draft then ever before. Jackets seem to have a lot of ammo to make some moves. I watched the video of JD and Jarmo's season ending presser and without actually saying his name, they salivated over McDavid. #1 is probably a pipe dream, but imagine this club with him and 3 2nds and 2 3rds to boot. They would definitely be open for business at that point. My only prediction is that if the Jackets win the lottery, Anisimov will definitely be traded. Not the most bold prediction, but take it to the bank.

Curious to see where the hunt to improve the defense takes them. Trade probably makes more sense with a thin UFA market. I wish Capgeek was still around to see who's really up against the cap. I could see the Jackets trying to do what the Islanders did to shore up their defense. Garth Snow was brilliant making those moves. Took advantage of Chicago and Boston and a deep prospect pool will allow a team to give up some picks and not be overly concerned about the loss of picks.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
With the glut of forwards, it's probably safe to say someone will get moved at the draft.

Don't really have to if they can stomach a buyout of Boll. Could also waive him and see if he gets claimed.

Tropp is on a minimal contract and can be sent to Springfield (or claimed...whatever). Morin also at $800K could be sent down.

Now, if they want to move Clarkson or Bourque, then yeah that'll probably be a package deal. They may be throw-in to get salaries to work for a Dman. I still come back to Anisimov, a 2nd, and Goloubef/Prout for a top 4 defenseman. Not sure it's enough, but it should be close. Arty is getting squeezed out, and we're simply not going to be able to afford his expected raise in 2016. Joey, Dubi, Wennberg, Chaput, Karlsson, even Jenner/Foligno when needed, McDavid...I kid. Center seems to be pretty ok without him in the picture. He's a luxury as a 2LW/3C. He just makes the most sense in an offseason trade.

But they can clear that glut of forwards by waiving the guys in the last years of their deal and making under $900K. Not much of a penalty in terms of cap hit. They could conceivably buy out Boll and take a $570K cap hit over the next 4 years.

Letestu, like DMac, will come down to term. He's north of 30, and probably wants 3-4 years. I could see us not wanting to offer more than two.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
My guess would be that we use a player and a prospect to move up into the Top 5.

I'd guess we will try to consolidate picks to move into the late 1st round.

I'd guess that we'd trade 2-3 players to upgrade our defense.

I suspect we will have ongoing conversations with teams up and through the draft and try to make big splashes. We will then have 4-5 days after the draft to sign Letestu prior to free agency. I'd suspect if we move two of our Top 9 depth, then we'd sign him. If we can't move players to make a splash we will probably have had exploratory conversations with teams about trading his rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad