Blue Jays Discussion: Jays in the playoffs! for reals! | Playoff Avatars: Posts 1-4 | ALDS: 2-0 Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
How popular are Blue Jays in Toronto? And in the rest of Canada? Can Blue Jays surpass Maple Leafs in Ontario?

In Toronto it's all people have been talking about. In fact, I don't think I've heard anyone really talk about the Leafs post-draft. The Leafs are bad, and borderline afwful, there's not much excitement about them right now.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
It's a statistically significant mismatch in starters for both game #3 and #4. The chances of winning both games favor the jays if these guys pitch 'as expected. It's baseball. It's not unusual at all. Then i'd like the chances of Price at home for #5. This is not the kind of gloom scenario it would be it Texas has a deeper rotation. They don't.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's sad that all that optimism and hope was undone in about 27 hours of everything crashing back to earth. Admittedly, I have basically zero experience following an MLB pennant win since the Jays have been garbage for a quarter century, so I don't know what proper protocol is, but ever since that Baltimore double header, they just seemed to be really satisfied. Not a ton of urgency trying to win the AL, lots of partying, lots of celebrity appearances around town. Anyway, pretty brutal postseason. This is the kind of run you hope happens to the Yankees.

SubyDubyTML

May 13, 2013
The Rangers' starters lack depth, the Jays should be able to take advantage of that these upcoming games. I don't think it's crazy at all to say I expect this series to go back to Toronto.

However, it's the MLB playoffs, anything can happen. Man i love this time of the year!!
GO JAYS!!:handclap:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
We'll see if it truly is them cracking under pressure like some are claiming.

Perez and Lewis are both ripe for the picking. With it being a hitter's park in Arlington, i still think we end up back in Toronto for game 5. Though the thought of getting Gallardo again isn't too appealing. This makes me wonder if Bannister would consider going to Gallardo in game 4 for the knock out blow and save Hamels for a game 5.

It would be a damn shame to come this far and have it end like this.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I think I'd rather see Dickey pitching

could be wrong but I get the impression Estrada's success is tied closely to making hitters guess wrong on what pitch is coming. I would assume for a playoff game the rangers hitters will be more prepared than normal, and be given better info than normal, on Estradas patterns and whatnot. Which they would for Dickey too but even if you guess right his pitch is still hard to hit. Not sure that is true with Estrada.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Who's umpiring tonight?

Tonight will either be the comeback kids or the choke city anthem... I have a feeling the Jays will show up.

The open field is there for the taking? Get runners on base, slug it out and play good D. Overrated is not the term I want this team to be associated with... but, yeah, so far, it's looking like it.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

could be wrong but I get the impression Estrada's success is tied closely to making hitters guess wrong on what pitch is coming. I would assume for a playoff game the rangers hitters will be more prepared than normal, and be given better info than normal, on Estradas patterns and whatnot. Which they would for Dickey too but even if you guess right his pitch is still hard to hit. Not sure that is true with Estrada.

Texas batters are career 0.588 OPS against Estrada, and .878 OPS against Dickey.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
why are you guys so gloomy georges?

until it's the top of the 9th and we're losing - we have every chance to win this game. and I think we'll be able to do so. :) i think we're going to do a LA Kings/Flyers/1940's Leafs. and reverse sweep. i know it's difficult and it's very rarely done in baseball, however, I think all the grody stuff is out of their system.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Who's umpiring tonight?

Tonight will either be the comeback kids or the choke city anthem... I have a feeling the Jays will show up.

The open field is there for the taking? Get runners on base, slug it out and play good D. Overrated is not the term I want this team to be associated with... but, yeah, so far, it's looking like it.
Assuming nothing changed... our old friend Alfonso Marquez will be behind the plate.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
If anybody could come back from 0-2, it's the Jays. But the odds are still way against us.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Assuming nothing changed... our old friend Alfonso Marquez will be behind the plate.
is he really our friend?

because that sounds great. He'll be all "I got your back bro" and we'll be all "Thanks bro. Did you know Texas has been saying stuff behind your back?" and he'll be all "For real? Guess they like losing playoff games"

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
why are you guys so gloomy georges?

until it's the top of the 9th and we're losing - we have every chance to win this game. and I think we'll be able to do so. :) i think we're going to do a LA Kings/Flyers/1940's Leafs. and reverse sweep. i know it's difficult and it's very rarely done in baseball, however, I think all the grody stuff is out of their system.

I hope ur right

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Why would they be given better info in the postseason than in the regular season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad