Blue Jays Discussion: Jays in the playoffs! for reals! | Playoff Avatars: Posts 1-4 | ALDS: 2-0 Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
ERA is an okay stat but doesn't tell the whole picture, that's for sure. Regardless, Price hasn't been great over his career in the playoffs, albeit in a small sample size.

If wins, losses, and ERA doesn't "tell the whole picture" about pitching, then what does?

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
It's been over 22 years since the Jays made the playoffs, and I haven't been able to watch a single game due to the ridiculous schedule.

I didn't get home from work till the 1st game was over, and caught the 14th of the 2nd. So the only post season jays I've seen in 22 years is that disaster of an inning.

Tonight I (like everybody) have thanksgiving plans. And the place we're going doesn't have cable.

I give up.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
It's been over 22 years since the Jays made the playoffs, and I haven't been able to watch a single game due to the ridiculous schedule.

I didn't get home from work till the 1st game was over, and caught the 14th of the 2nd. So the only post season jays I've seen in 22 years is that disaster of an inning.

Tonight I (like everybody) have thanksgiving plans. And the place we're going doesn't have cable.

I give up.

PVR is your friend :P

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Being 0-7 with a high ERA says everything you need to know....

But with that being said, I say play him game 5 if we get there. He's too good to not eventually turn it around.

W-L tells you absolutely nothing (see: Hutchison, Drew). The high ERA... yeah, that tells you quite a bit in this case since it's right in line with Price's playoff peripherals, but win loss is even more meaningless than RBI.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Why would they be given better info in the postseason than in the regular season?
just guessing since they face a different pitcher every game in the regular season they don't cram as much info into players, and the preparation isn't nearly as specific

for the playoffs they are probably getting as in-depth as possible, watching film on estrada over and over, having Estrada team meatings, etc. I don't know what they actually do for baseball but I would think it's a lot more in depth for the playoffs. Could be completely wrong.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Kershaw is 1-6 with a 4.99 ERA in the postseason but he is still the best pitcher in baseball. He's the guy you want to give it to when it's on the line. And that's the same for Price in this situation (if the Jays make it to g4).

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Kershaw is 1-6 with a 4.99 ERA in the postseason but he is still the best pitcher in baseball. He's the guy you want to give it to when it's on the line. And that's the same for Price in this situation (if the Jays make it to g4).

Actually when the games on the line I would much rather give it to Bumgarner or Arrietta.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
W-L tells you absolutely nothing (see: Hutchison, Drew). The high ERA... yeah, that tells you quite a bit in this case since it's right in line with Price's playoff peripherals, but win loss is even more meaningless than RBI.

The ERA absolutely does not match with his 3.21 SIERA in the postseason. 1.72 HR/9, 16.1% HR/FB, 69% LOB rate.

Actually when the games on the line I would much rather give it to Bumgarner or Arrietta.

Bumgarner was historically dominant in the postseason last year. Arrieta has been historically dominant over the 2nd half of this season. Kershaw has been historically dominant since his sophomore season and his postseason record to date doesn't excuse it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad