Blue Jays Discussion: Jays host wild-card game vs BAL....Stroman Starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
And then when the Jays weren't running on the basepaths because they had big power bats in the lineup, people complained that they were waiting to depend on the power bats and needed to play some small ball and manufacture runs.

Can't have it both ways. And can't pretend that whether or not it was a smart idea can be evaluated in hindsight based on success/failure.

In general, I find people don't care what happens, as long as it works.

Runner caught stealing? Should have stayed put.
Runner stayed put, batter hit into a double play? Should have hit and run.
Strike him out thrown him out? Should have bunted.
Botched bunt attempt? Should have stolen a base instead.

It's usually the same with the bullpen, too.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
In general, I find people don't care what happens, as long as it works.

Runner caught stealing? Should have stayed put.
Runner stayed put, batter hit into a double play? Should have hit and run.
Strike him out thrown him out? Should have bunted.
Botched bunt attempt? Should have stolen a base instead.

It's usually the same with the bullpen, too.

Exactly, managing with 20/20 vision works 100% of the time.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Normally I'd whine about Carrera, but he's been playing well

Same here. I don't like managers making decisions based on tiny samples, but I imagine it's hard not to reward someone for key performances like Carrera's the last couple days. We can quantify a lot of what a manager does, but the leadership component is impossible to put a number to.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I wish I could take this quote back in a time machine with me.

Good news about Travis. I just hope he's not pushing himself too hard to get back in the lineup.

I don't know, I liked Price when he was here, but something about him in the big games..... although I guess to them it won't be

bentharbour

Feb 27, 2008
Ubaldo pitches us real tough - especially some of our big guns. Its a huge game. I hope JD and JB are able to break through him tonight since they both are subpar vs. Jimenez. Saunders, Pillar, and Travis might have to be our guns tonight.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I guess that ends any chance of him being on the Blue Jays next year.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

but you have to wonder. You have to wonder if this team, once clearly in the driver’s seat for a playoff spot but now fighting tooth and nail just to make the wild card, is coming apart at the seams and if there’s a leadership void inside the clubhouse.

Why, for example, would the leaders on the team allow someone to put up on a wall photos of two toronto sports writers with an 'x' scratched on their face and the a message written on top reading, ‘do not grant them interviews’ (or words to that effect)?

On the surface, a pretty juvenile stunt. But also unprofessional. And it’s something, a couple of journalists pointed out to a jays official, the new york yankees would never allow in their clubhouse.

And it’s not just those photos. There have been a number of incidents inside the jays clubhouse recently that suggest that there may be a bit of panic setting in.

Things like: Someone cranking up the music just when the media arrives to conduct pre-game interviews. That’s happened more than a couple of times. It happened again on thursday. Again, on the surface, silly, stupid. But, again, unnecessary. The media have a job to do, just like the players. Fans almost always take the side of the players when there’s an issue with the media, but teams with confidence and swagger don’t need to pulls stunts like putting pictures of writers on a wall.

There was an incident the other night when a couple of journalists tried to corral struggling closer roberto osuna for an interview, but he kept blowing them off. Finally, one reporter followed him right into a private part of the clubhouse and told him off. Certainly something nobody, especially a young player like osuna, needs.

Following a loss a few weeks ago, the starting pitchers retreated into a room for a meeting and then wandered back into the clubhouse. A good dozen or more writers and broadcasters witnessed what went down and naturally someone asked marcus stroman (who started that day) what the meeting was about. Stroman told the guy that it was none of his business.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Given the way professional athletes are treated by the media in Toronto, I have no problem with anything in that article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad