Signing(s): Jaylen Brown signs richest deal in NBA history

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Didn't Mike Conley sign a similar contract in 2016-ish?

Still, wow.

If by similar you mean the most lucrative in NBA history yes. His $153,000,000/5 year deal in 2016 was the biggest ever. (at the time obviously. I believe Harden or Steph passed him within the year)

Brown is a good player but man he is never going to live up to this.

To put his contract in perspective, EIGHT players have earned more than $300million in their careers (on court only). LBJ, KD, CP3, Steph, Harden, KG, Westbrook, Kobe.

Reactions: HisIceness

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
If by similar you mean the most lucrative in NBA history yes. His $153,000,000/5 year deal in 2016 was the biggest ever. (at the time obviously. I believe Harden or Steph passed him within the year)

Brown is a good player but man he is never going to live up to this.

To put his contract in perspective, EIGHT players have earned more than $300million in their careers (on court only). LBJ, KD, CP3, Steph, Harden, KG, Westbrook, Kobe.

Yeah lucrative was what I meant, I remember reading in 2016 he had signed the richest contract in league history.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
69M salary in 28/29. There’s going to be players making 100M a year by then. Pro sports in the US are… just crazy. And it’s not like the Saudis where the government is throwing around oil money for non-sports reasons; these salaries are capped and based on the revenue the leagues generate. No nation out there that loves (spending money on) sports like the Americans do. Incredible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
300M+ for Jaylen Brown?

He is good player but this is absurd
The NBA has a big problem. The top 3-4 guys on a team are going to be making bucket loads of cash but many established vets with 5-10 years experience will be making 5% of JB is making. And these guys could be starters or 6th man. Going to be lots of unhappy players out there.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Eww......

This is a player who has made two all star games in 7 years.

Is he even a top 15 player in the league?

Probably not.

The NBA has a big problem. The top 3-4 guys on a team are going to be making bucket loads of cash but many established vets with 5-10 years experience will be making 5% of JB is making. And these guys could be starters or 6th man. Going to be lots of unhappy players out there.

I've already seen clips of some players complaining that even gift now theres guys who are worth the MLE but are signing for the vet minimum because teams dont have cap space after dolling out this kind of money.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Boston had to do this. A lot of money but couldn't let him walk.

Everyone's contract will keep getting topped year after year

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
69M salary in 28/29. There’s going to be players making 100M a year by then. Pro sports in the US are… just crazy. And it’s not like the Saudis where the government is throwing around oil money for non-sports reasons; these salaries are capped and based on the revenue the leagues generate. No nation out there that loves (spending money on) sports like the Americans do. Incredible.
It’s because the world loves our sports and will pay to watch them .

The nba has the best tv deal around and they share the revenue with the players. I’m glad the league is willing to put more of that profit in the entertainers pockets.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I mean if you were an American kid who is interested in playing both basketball and baseball, why would you not pick basketball?
Especially with the way the nba has embraced urban communities and how the mlb has ran away from them over the last 30-40 years.

Then you look at money and it’s not even close.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
NHL has 3 years, until current McDavid contract will end. If they want, that media would talk about NHL, they must push up the salary cap to the level, that max contract will be 20 mil / year.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
NHL has 3 years, until current McDavid contract will end. If they want, that media would talk about NHL, they must push up the salary cap to the level, that max contract will be 20 mil / year.
It’s still astonishing that we’re already 2 decades into the 21st century and not one NHL player has yet to make $20M in a season while other major pro athletes have been making that kind of money since the George Dubya era.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It’s still astonishing that we’re already 2 decades into the 21st century and not one NHL player has yet to make $20M in a season while other major pro athletes have been making that kind of money since the George Dubya era.
Doesn't seem astonishing to me, when you look at what sports people are watching on TV:

2022 ratings wrap: Another dominant year for NFL

Even if you scroll down and look at the list that excludes NFL games there is not a single NHL game there. The most watched hockey game was game 6 of the finals where 5.82 million people watched. More people watched St Peters vs Purdue in the Sweet 16.

Hockey is a niche sport here and I doubt that will change any time soon.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Doesn't seem astonishing to me, when you look at what sports people are watching on TV:

2022 ratings wrap: Another dominant year for NFL

Even if you scroll down and look at the list that excludes NFL games there is not a single NHL game there. The most watched hockey game was game 6 of the finals where 5.82 million people watched. More people watched St Peters vs Purdue in the Sweet 16.

Hockey is a niche sport here and I doubt that will change any time soon.

Thats crazy. But where is NBA and MLB?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
cheers-xi-jinping.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

They're also the only league to lose games to lockouts three times in the last 30 years. Hard to grow your game when you do things like that, including an entire lost season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad