Player Discussion Jay Woodcroft

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Honest question:

The media seems to have no problem calling out specific players when they are playing poorly. They have aided in driving out several players in this organization.

How come the media doesn't criticize the coaching staff in the same way? Why are they so defensive of people like Woodcroft? I remember hearing someone (I think Rishaug) on the radio saying something to the extent of "wellll its unlikely that an assistant coach gets moved during the season... that type of stuff typically doesn't happen"

So what? You identify a problem, then FIX it. Why is it that Puljujaarvi gets moved so quickly from the top line to 2nd line for no reason yesterday but changing who is in charge of the PP can't happen until next season?

Even more important for the PK given the Oilers' atrocious percentage.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Honest question:

The media seems to have no problem calling out specific players when they are playing poorly. They have aided in driving out several players in this organization.

How come the media doesn't criticize the coaching staff in the same way? Why are they so defensive of people like Woodcroft? I remember hearing someone (I think Rishaug) on the radio saying something to the extent of "wellll its unlikely that an assistant coach gets moved during the season... that type of stuff typically doesn't happen"

So what? You identify a problem, then FIX it. Why is it that Puljujaarvi gets moved so quickly from the top line to 2nd line for no reason yesterday but changing who is in charge of the PP can't happen until next season?

The PK is the main mark against our coaching. The PP is also worse than it should be considering our talent (but there again, Chia has given Woodcroft exactly ZERO offensive Dmen to support it). Another special teams situation is 3 on 3, and it is apparent to me that other teams have lapped us when it comes to 3 on 3 strategy. It seems like we are playing 3-on-3 the same as last season.

As for JP going to the 2nd line, that's just because Draisaitl was put with McDavid. Drai plays the right side when they are together. I'm fine with that, and in general I thought the lines worked great after the blending so I don't see the problem.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
Generally the power play is a reward and this coaching staff has said that in the past. Ok so lets reward some of the forwards like jj also put jp on the 1st power play. Kick testube off he has been useless out there. With guys like nuge, mcd, drai ect there is no bloody way the PP should be this bad. Its on the staff , it is there job to find a way to help the players produce thats what they get paid for plain and simple

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I would love to see JP as the point man on the PP.

He covers very well in general when the D-men pinch in, and used to shoot well from distance.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The PP should never be viewed as a reward. If you're trying to win games then you put your best weapons on the PP. You don't put the guys that show up early to practice, work harder then everyone or is the coaches pet. I could care less about how many years a player has in the league or how hard he works on practice if he can help the team win.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
I would love to see JP as the point man on the PP.

He covers very well in general when the D-men pinch in, and used to shoot well from distance.
I think he still fumbles the puck too much to play the point. I can see him losing the zone alot. I see where you are coming from though if it wasnt for his clumsyness (which i have no doubt will go away ass he matures) that would ve the perfect spit for him.

They need to something about the coaching on this team. The players are playing good the systems suck

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I honestly believe that this is how the coaching staff views their job. Everything is based on rewarding players if they are playing well rather than on simply doing what it takes to give the team the best chance of winning games. I believe that that's why they took forever to properly utilize the three great centers that they have available to them. I realize that coaches sometimes use this carrot/stick approach. But to me it sounds more like how you operate a Bantam A squad than a professional hockey club (oh we can't put little Nugey on the 3rd line, he's playing so great).

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Generally the power play is a reward and this coaching staff has said that in the past. Ok so lets reward some of the forwards like jj also put jp on the 1st power play. Kick testube off he has been useless out there. With guys like nuge, mcd, drai ect there is no bloody way the PP should be this bad. Its on the staff , it is there job to find a way to help the players produce thats what they get paid for plain and simple
Sometimes I wonder if not using the power play as a reward for players ends up hurting it even more. When you use it as a reward it can inspire better play from the guys as they know they actually have a shot at earning those premier minutes. When you don’t use it as a reward and the unit struggles and the coach just keeps sending out the same guys anyway, there isn’t motivation for guys to play harder to earn a better spot on the team. I think it sends a negative message to the team. If the coach is blatantly playing favourites the message will get lost quickly if those favourites aren’t coming through for him.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What puzzles me, is that this same coaching staff was in San Jose for many years, and I always thought the Sharks had a killer PP. Not sure about their PK, but I presume it must have been pretty decent since they were always near the top of the standings. Did they forget everything they did there? Or is the McDavid factor confusing them?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I honestly believe that this is how the coaching staff views their job. Everything is based on rewarding players if they are playing well rather than on simply doing what it takes to give the team the best chance of winning games. I believe that that's why they took forever to properly utilize the three great centers that they have available to them. I realize that coaches sometimes use this carrot/stick approach. But to me it sounds more like how you operate a Bantam A squad than a professional hockey club (oh we can't put little Nugey on the 3rd line, he's playing so great).
what does this even mean? Of course players get rewarded for good play, because that is exactly what you want to do to win games. Players who show they are getting hot offensively get rewarded with offensive minutes, and players who show chemistry with scoring players will play more with those top end players.

There might be a point here if someone like Kassian were given top minutes with McDavid, like rewarding shot blocking or defensive play with offensive minutes, but nothing like that is happening. We have a guy like Letestu perhaps getting overly rewarded, but that is based on his incredible play on the PP last season in supporting offense, both in winning faceoffs and as a goal scoring threat. We're also seeing JP earning more respect and greater minutes as the season goes on, and it's all rewarding him for increased offense and chemistry with top players. Lucic ramped up his play so he moved up, and Maroon went down. Khaira has been rewarded with offensive minutes for his great offensive work. So what is the problem?

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
Most of the players where the elite of there respective teams when drafted. As most of them have spent the majority of there minor careers on the Power Play . i very much doubt they forget how to perform in that postion. It seems as if woodcroft is running some sort of ultra hi-tech sneaky PP the players don't understand . most of the time they seem lost and to me thats on the PP coach. #keepitsimple it may just work

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
My idea for the PP is overload one line play it 1:30 or more per PP.
Net.
pulu

Rnh. Drai. Mcdavid

Sekera

Also maroon can be slotted in for pulu.
This gives us are most gifted players an opportunity. It also gives us the ability to attack from multiple sides ala Rnh and mcdavid. Also all these players can move around and play any position giving us the ability to run a motion PP. with letstu and luc they can only do one thing and it limits our movement, hence why it's so static and predictable

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
If it wasn't for points I'd think the PP (and the PK at home) has become a terrific joke already a couple of months ago and it just keeps getting better.

The winger depth is not good, but the Oilers have the tools to make them a very good PP team and at least a reasonable PK team, too.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Wonder if he has even considered mixing up the pp units. It isn't working so the only logical thing to do is continue to try the same thing over and over
795.gif

Found this picture of woodcroft working on the pp unit for tonight's game

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
My idea for the PP is overload one line play it 1:30 or more per PP.
Net.
pulu

Rnh. Drai. Mcdavid

Sekera

Also maroon can be slotted in for pulu.
This gives us are most gifted players an opportunity. It also gives us the ability to attack from multiple sides ala Rnh and mcdavid. Also all these players can move around and play any position giving us the ability to run a motion PP. with letstu and luc they can only do one thing and it limits our movement, hence why it's so static and predictable

I would say that would still lack a real shooting threat and if Pulju is on the bench it doesn't have a right hand shot. Which makes the pp more simple to defend against.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honest question:

Gregor and Struds have talked about the special teams damn near every game day or day after a game.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
What puzzles me, is that this same coaching staff was in San Jose for many years, and I always thought the Sharks had a killer PP. Not sure about their PK, but I presume it must have been pretty decent since they were always near the top of the standings. Did they forget everything they did there? Or is the McDavid factor confusing them?

They just throw out Marleau, Pavelski, Thornton, Couture and Burns or Boyle. That's a 5 man all-star unit. All low maintenance players, some were already elite vets before McLellan/Woodcroft got there. Couture was the only guy they had to really bring along from youth and Couture is a very self driven player. They lived off those guys and Woodcroft build his PP master rep off them. Their 2nd PP units as far as I can tell were useless.

Funny to look back at 11/12 and 12/13. We were right behind SJ in PP% in 11/12. ANd in 12/13 we actually beat them, even having to play Nuge with 1 working arm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad