Signing(s): Jay Cutler signs with the Dolphins (1 year/10 M)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Here is the fact

Cutler played under Gase

Cutler had his best years under Gase

Cutler is mediocre record wise

I don't know if he is a good leader or not like Stephen A is pontificating on First Take, and none of us really know unless we are playing with him in that locker room. I think this is an okay signing and it makes sense given the work history between the coach and QB. Dont' really care that he took Kap's potential job. Re: Kap, he seems to have a stigma plus he regressed heavily following SB season. I remember a game he had multiple picks against Arizona :laugh: He is done. Choosing cutler over Kap has nothing to do with race.

I see Miami honestly as hovering around .500 now. We'll see if Cutler can "lead" or whether the media pundits were right.

An argument can be made even without Tannehill that Miami remains the 2nd best team int he AFC East for sure

Patriots undisputed
Miami, good D and Ajai
Buffalo, decent D, Tyrod inconsistent
Jets, no brainer

Tyrod is actually pretty consistent. The Bills have a chance to be sneaky if McCoy and Watkins stay healthy.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Disregarding the fact that Tannehill is better than you give him credit for (and this is coming from someone who was very critical of his first few years), a playoff team lost their starting QB in training camp and signed a relatively big name to fill in. Of course it's going to be big news in August.

That's fair that from a "name" standpoint it will be a story - I don't think it is on the football field. As for thoughts on Tannehill specifically, I will answer that below.

Problem is that was his plan during offseason and we see that the treatment he preferred instead of surgery didn't take

There really is no point in him not just getting surgery done so he can be ready for next season

And the gap in talent/ability between Cutler/Tannehill and Moore is a lot bigger then you believe. There is a reason Dolphins didn't go with Moore as #1 years ago and why no NFL teams have pursued him for role and he has been a backup in Miami for years now

Is "didn't take" the actual medical opinion? Because if that is true, then they would already have announced that they are shutting him down. The reason that they haven't is that they are probably considering an option where he can play through it in 6-8 weeks.

As for Tannehill/Cutler, I don't think the drop-off is that much between those two guys. Moore, a bit lower.

I'd love to see the other 19 guys you have ahead Tannehill.

There isn't even 20 good starting QB's in the league.

You're right, there isn't. And he certainly isn't one of them.

Clearly better (16): Ryan, Newton, Dalton, Prescott, Stafford, Rodgers, Luck, Rivers, Brady, Brees, Carr, Roethlisberger, Wilson, Winston, Mariota, Cousins

Similar tier (8): Tannehill, Palmer, Flacco, Tyrod, Smith, Bradford, Manning

If you want him anywhere between 17 and 23, I'm okay with that. He's around the 20th best QB.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
FWIW and this might actually be against forum rules, a friend of mine in Florida lived with the Trestman's for a while in Chicago - their daughter is her best friend - and Marc Trestman would sometimes have the team/players over for dinner and she said Cutler was even more detached than he appears to be on TV.

Marc Tressman seemed like a good guy, but he was an awful coach for a professional team.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
FWIW and this might actually be against forum rules, a friend of mine in Florida lived with the Trestman's for a while in Chicago - their daughter is her best friend - and Marc Trestman would sometimes have the team/players over for dinner and she said Cutler was even more detached than he appears to be on TV.
I'm not doubting you, but I will again remind you and all the others that continue to doubt Cutty that Adam Gase says all that is basically a bunch of B.S. & I will continue to take his word over everyone else's everyday of the week! :nod:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I trust Gase will get a good year out of Jay. He's a QB guru.

It all depends on what weapons are around Cutler. When he's had good WR's, he's been successful.

I actually see Miami's WR corps as being underrated - maybe I'm wrong but I could definitely see a big year out of that team. Best case scenario they win 10 games and fight for a wild card.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
You're right, there isn't. And he certainly isn't one of them.

Clearly better (16): Ryan, Newton, Dalton, Prescott, Stafford, Rodgers, Luck, Rivers, Brady, Brees, Carr, Roethlisberger, Wilson, Winston, Mariota, Cousins

Similar tier (8): Tannehill, Palmer, Flacco, Tyrod, Smith, Bradford, Manning

If you want him anywhere between 17 and 23, I'm okay with that. He's around the 20th best QB.

We're just gonna throw Andy Dalton and Prescott after one good season in elite tier? Alright then. :laugh:

He's also better than pretty much everyone in the tier he's in sans maybe Eli if Eli is actually on his game. Palmer sucks, Flacco sucks, Tyrod is a game manager at best, ditto for Smith.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Cian Fahey has great insight......said Kaep not only is a better option than Cutler, but that he's been a better QB and can play in any system based on watching him under Harbaugh and Kelly.

Cutler had the lowest completion % for long passes and threw more short passes than Alex Smith when he was with Gase.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
We're just gonna throw Andy Dalton and Prescott after one good season in elite tier? Alright then. :laugh:

He's also better than pretty much everyone in the tier he's in sans maybe Eli if Eli is actually on his game. Palmer sucks, Flacco sucks, Tyrod is a game manager at best, ditto for Smith.

It's not an elite tier, it's guys that are clearly better than Tannehill.. which Dalton and Dak certainly are.

As for those others, hey its your opinion so fair enough. I don't see the case where Tannehill is certainly the best out of all of them. He's right there with all of them.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Cian Fahey has great insight......said Kaep not only is a better option than Cutler, but that he's been a better QB and can play in any system based on watching him under Harbaugh and Kelly.

1) I wouldn't necessarily say that his play under Kelly was a success

2) Theres a big difference between playing for Harbaugh/Kelly and this Dolphins situation. In Miami the QB has about 28 days to prepare for game 1 of the season. In SF Colin had way more time to adapt and learn. One could reasonably argue that Gabbert adapted quicker to Kelly's system than Colin did based on what transpired there.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
1) I wouldn't necessarily say that his play under Kelly was a success

2) Theres a big difference between playing for Harbaugh/Kelly and this Dolphins situation. In Miami the QB has about 28 days to prepare for game 1 of the season. In SF Colin had way more time to adapt and learn. One could reasonably argue that Gabbert adapted quicker to Kelly's system than Colin did based on what transpired there.
Or, more likely, Kap's surgically repaired shoulder wasn't ready to go.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I'll give Miami a pass for Kaepernick. That is just about the worst fit politically. The man is clearly still being blackballed however.

As for Cutler... :laugh:

It might be for the best however. I just can't imagine him being anything other than disinterested in the booth. Even though this ends my dreams for a combo of him and Joe Buck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad