Signing(s): Jay Cutler signs with the Dolphins (1 year/10 M)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He might be better than Tannehill would've been anyways.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He might be better than Tannehill would've been anyways.
I doubt it. Lazy Jay in a place with expectations will probably not go over very well. I expect quite a few more trademark back breaking interceptions.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I did hear last week it would take starter money for Cutler to postpone his broadcasting career and boy did he get it.

The fact that they handed him 10 million is a good indicator of how severe Tannenhill's injury is.

Fox could hire.... Cris Carter? Thought I heard last year was supposed to be his last at ESPN

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I guess it depends how far up the ladder Cutler was starting at as to who replaces him.

Dolphins had to do this, regardless, and it also allows them to avoid questions about Kaepernick.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Welcome to Miami Smokin' Jay! :handclap: Time to prove all the haters wrong.

Now its time for Tanny to just have that surgery so he will be good to go for 2018. Meanwhile, with Gase at the helm, I think Cutty can have the type of year he had under Gase's tuteledge in Chicago. Yes, I'm sure there will be some classic "Cutlerceptions" as well, but I think he can thrive with the offensive players he has at his disposal.

I look forward as well to having BWC on the Dolphins bandwagon for the 2017 season! :yo:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I actually am looking forward to NE-Miami now

I guess Tannehill will be good someday, but Cutler is definitely an immediate upgrade

I'm just trying to figure out now for fantasy - seems like Parker would be immediate upgrade. I could see Julius Thomas being a huge TE sleeper pick now too.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Tannehill is much better than Cutler. With Gase 30.5% of Cutler's yardage came on passes that didn't travel more than two yards downfield. Expect a lot of checkdowns and quick screens. Landry will pile up the receptions. Offense was more vertical with Tannehill.

Last edited:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I actually am looking forward to NE-Miami now

I guess Tannehill will be good someday, but Cutler is definitely an immediate upgrade

I'm just trying to figure out now for fantasy - seems like Parker would be immediate upgrade. I could see Julius Thomas being a huge TE sleeper pick now too.

Fantasy wise, I'd think this is bad news for Kenny Stills.

I don't think Cutler is better than Tannehill.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Very happy to see Cutty back

Go Dolphins!

Tannehill is much better than Cutler. With Gase 30.5% of Cutler's yardage came on passes that didn't travel more than two yards downfield. Expect a lot of checkdowns and quick screens. Landry will pile up the receptions. Offense was more vertical with Tannehill.

I would point out that Jeffery missed half season (As did Royal) and Bears WR depth without them for large parts of year was

Marquis Wilson
Marc Mariani
Josh Bellamy
Cameron Meredith (R)

Wilson also missed much a large chunk of year (5 games) and Mariani was our #1 WR for a while

It made sense that Bears had to adjust offense when only viable threats were TE's Marty Bennett (Also missed 5 games that year and played injured most of year) and Zack Miller

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Anyone care to look up and find out how many of Cutler's yards and TD's came in garbage time? Bears have played a lot of it the last few years.

Also, he just had shoulder surgery on his throwing shoulder and has not been preparing to play football. Nobody seems to be bringing that up. He's going from torn labrum -> surgery -> couch -> practice field. Did not participate in any OTA's. At 34 years old.

I'm going to Vegas in a few weeks so I'll be putting a big bet on the Dolphins being under whatever their over-under is.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX

Remember all the intangibles too. Stats-wise they were similar, but Cutler brings the legacy of being a career loser and underachiever, coach killer, inability to motivate his team, etc. Not to mention so many of his INTs and turnovers were soul-killing, drive ending, completely insensible decisions that most high school QBs learn from, but he failed to in 11 years in the NFL.

At the end of the day it makes no difference. Miami wasn't going anywhere far this year anyway. Miami would have been better trying Moore out and saving the money they're wasting on this clown.

I'm just sad we'll now be deprived of Cutler's expertise in the studio, there is no one better at breaking down pick-sixes and boneheaded QB decisions.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If nothing else, this should be interesting to follow. There's potential for Cutler to succeed with Gase again but it could also be a complete train wreck with them almost begging a player, who wasn't preparing to play, to come and start for them four weeks before the season begins.

I don't know why some out there are making a big deal out of the money though. $10M is nothing for a starting QB these days. It puts him 23rd in salary among QBs and the only starters making less are the guys on rookie contracts and whoever the tanking Jets/Niners are planning on sending out there.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So Tannehill has tear in his ACL? Had it since last year , correct?

I don't really see why they didn't just get surgery in offseason to avoid this instead of an unproven treatment that wasn't a guarantee to work

Wonder if it was Tannehill that was against it

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Very happy to see Cutty back

Go Dolphins!

I would point out that Jeffery missed half season (As did Royal) and Bears WR depth without them for large parts of year was

Marquis Wilson
Marc Mariani
Josh Bellamy
Cameron Meredith (R)

Wilson also missed much a large chunk of year (5 games) and Mariani was our #1 WR for a while

It made sense that Bears had to adjust offense when only viable threats were TE's Marty Bennett (Also missed 5 games that year and played injured most of year) and Zack Miller

Through the first 8 games only 46 of his 189 passes went beyond 10 yards. 24%. All Gase did was protect Cutler from himself and his recklessness.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So Tannehill has tear in his ACL? Had it since last year , correct?

I don't really see why they didn't just get surgery in offseason to avoid this instead of an unproven treatment that wasn't a guarantee to work

Wonder if it was Tannehill that was against it

He got hurt in practice non-contact which is what spurred these events.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
my fantasy squad doesn't care if it's garbage time or not...we don't discriminate :)

Tannehill's got better numbers than I thought though. I always figured he was kind of a dud. I haven't done any research but I'd venture to guess Tannehill's got some garbage time stat boosts as well.

Does Ajayi have decent hands? I buy into the whole Cutler check down thing. Forte was a beast with Cutler.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
my fantasy squad doesn't care if it's garbage time or not...we don't discriminate :)

Tannehill's got better numbers than I thought though. I always figured he was kind of a dud. I haven't done any research but I'd venture to guess Tannehill's got some garbage time stat boosts as well.

Does Ajayi have decent hands? I buy into the whole Cutler check down thing. Forte was a beast with Cutler.

Yes. He had 50 catches in his draft year.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I gotta admit I don't really know the Dolphins skill players that well

Don't watch a lot of Dolphins (Patriots are only AFC east team that is on TV much)

Ajayi seems to be good young RB

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Considering how many tight games the Dolphins were in last year..not much garbage time.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Kap had 4 ints all of last year.

That's a second half for this guy.

Teams would rather not risk potentially losing money than win. Rather sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad