Jay Briscoe passes away in car accident

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

On January 17, 2023, at approximately 5:09 p.m., a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 was traveling westbound on Laurel Road just west of Goose Nest Road. At the same time, a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 was traveling eastbound on Laurel Road in the same vicinity. For unknown reasons, the driver of the Silverado 1500 pickup truck failed to remain in her lane, crossed the center line, and entered the eastbound lane of Laurel Road, directly into the path of the Silverado 2500. This resulted in a head-on collision between the two pickup trucks in the eastbound lane.

The driver of the Silverado 1500, identified as 27-year-old Lillyanne Ternahan of Frankford, Delaware, was wearing her seatbelt. The driver of the Silverado 2500, identified as 38-year-old Jamin Pugh of Laurel, Delaware, was not wearing his seatbelt. Both drivers were pronounced dead at the scene. The two passengers in Pugh’s pickup truck, identified as his 12-year-old daughter and 9-year-old daughter, were both properly restrained. Both girls were taken by ambulance to an area hospital and were admitted in critical condition.

So the other truck drifted lanes right into them. Not wearing a seatbelt but likely doesn't make a difference.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Jesus Christ. Just absolutely brutal.

We do a lot of ice road travel on weekends fishing, hunting, heading to the cabin and you're encouraged not to wear a seat belt. Obviously this is different, but sometimes people can forget. Likely wouldn't have made a difference in this situation given the speeds and the two trucks involved.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Very unfortunate to hear, great wrestler. Hopefully his daughters recover well.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

So the other truck drifted lanes right into them. Not wearing a seatbelt but likely doesn't make a difference.
Oh, it could've made a world of difference... :( Especially in a head on collision. You ever seen a crash test dummy video of what happens to the dummy while wearing a seatbelt and when not? If his body got launched through the windshield on collision due to not wearing a seatbelt, there's a likely cause of death right there.

f***, learning that he wasn't wearing a seatbelt sucks. :(

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Oh, it could've made a world of difference... :( Especially in a head on collision. You ever seen a crash test dummy video of what happens to the dummy while wearing a seatbelt and when not? If his body got launched through the windshield on collision due to not wearing a seatbelt, there's a likely cause of death right there.

f***, learning that he wasn't wearing a seatbelt sucks. :(
Of course it can make a difference, but the two vehicles involved it most likely wouldn't. You should always wear a seat belt, no doubt. (theres a few exceptions for me, however)

Also, his body wasn't launched through the window, he was trapped in his vehicle. When two big trucks collide head on at what most likely were high speeds (especially if one was passing or accelerating) - No one wins that battle.

Reactions: DaaaaB's and Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Of course it can make a difference, but the two vehicles involved it most likely wouldn't. You should always wear a seat belt, no doubt. (theres a few exceptions for me, however)

Also, his body wasn't launched through the window, he was trapped in his vehicle. When two big trucks collide head on at what most likely were high speeds (especially if one was passing or accelerating) - No one wins that battle.
Aren't North American SUVs/pick up trucks also notoriously poor when it comes to driver safety?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Yeah a high speed head on collision you are essentially just rolling the dice at that point. The women driving the other truck was strapped in and she died on scene. Not trying to minimize the importance of wearing a seatbelt and maybe he would have survived if he had, guess we will never know but most likely it wouldn't have changed anything. Now his kids being strapped in, in the back seat likely did stop them from going flying.

Also sounds like the women driving the other truck hit them coming out behind a slow moving vehicle in her lane. Your life isn't worth getting where you're going 30 seconds faster.

Last edited:

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Yeah a high speed head on collision you are essentially just rolling the dice at that point. The women driving the other truck was strapped in and she died on scene. Not trying to minimize the importance of wearing a seatbelt and maybe he would have survived if he had, guess we will never know but most likely it wouldn't have changed anything. Now his kids being strapped in, in the back seat likely did stop them from going flying.

Also sounds like the women driving the other truck hit them coming out behind a slow moving vehicle in her lane. Your life isn't worth getting where your going 30 seconds faster.

I would like to add if you are following a vehicle too close then your visibility can be limited (yes, various factors depending on size of your vehicle and size of the vehicle in front). If you leave a safe distance between the vehicles for the speed you are traveling then your visibility of oncoming traffic is greater and if you accelerate to pass then move into the oncoming lane and see a vehicle you have more space to safely abort the pass. Plus this way you are accelerating as you approach the vehicle you wish to pass instead of changing lanes then mashing the gas since you couldn't accelerate prior to changing lanes because you would have run into the vehicle in front of you. If you are tailgating then move over to pass and you didn't see a vehicle then you AND the innocent vehicle you are about to have a head on collision with are screwed.

In that same vane, if you are turning right onto a two lane road where passing is allowed (aka many country roads or ones on the outskirts of town) then you should ALWAYS look left AND right. If you are turning right your instincts may say you can only look for vehicles on the left to know if you are clear however if someone is passing a car coming towards you to the right then your desired lane may not be clear.

Last edited:

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Good to see

Attachments

• D2CF0716-C9F1-4F37-AAC5-DB19CF299EFA.jpeg
    D2CF0716-C9F1-4F37-AAC5-DB19CF299EFA.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 4

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Jesus Christ. Just absolutely brutal.

We do a lot of ice road travel on weekends fishing, hunting, heading to the cabin and you're encouraged not to wear a seat belt. Obviously this is different, but sometimes people can forget. Likely wouldn't have made a difference in this situation given the speeds and the two trucks involved.
Just out of curiosity, what's the reason for not wearing seatbelts on ice road's? Is it in case you break through the ice?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Just out of curiosity, what's the reason for not wearing seatbelts on ice road's? Is it in case you break through the ice?
Yep, 100%

The roads are so wide and traffics isn’t crazy, so the cops are very lenient and it’s a discretion thing. I always take mine off just in case, it’s the first thing I do. Mind you you’re probably done for, but it’s one extra thing to remove once panic sets in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi and DaaaaB's

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Yep, 100%

The roads are so wide and traffics isn’t crazy, so the cops are very lenient and it’s a discretion thing. I always take mine off just in case, it’s the first thing I do. Mind you you’re probably done for, but it’s one extra thing to remove once panic sets in.
Have you ever had a close call? Like even cracking ice? I've never driven on a road like that and probably never will.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yep, 100%

Somewhat related from my personal experience, this was in maybe January of 1994, when I was in doing my military service. I was at the so called "sea watcher" training on the island of Örö in southern Finland. When we went on weekend leaves, the trip to mainland was usually done on a boat. Except that winter the sea had frozen so much that one time when returning from leave, the boat was stuck at the pier on mainland so we we're taken to the island on a sled pulled by a snowmobile. The sled had seatbelts, IIRC. More off topic, there were actual ice roads to the island and some of the surrounding ones, but the military we're not allowed to transport personnel with cars on them. However, that didn't stop civilians from using the ice roads and I heard that during the leave weekend some civilians who we're not part of the same island's civilian population, tried to enter the island without permission, which lead to the officer on-call to chase them away with tear gas grenades. Now this might sound excessive measures but the officer in question was our head trainer and because he usually wore a weapon in an armpit holster when he was the officer on-call for a weekend, he had a lovely nickname of "nazi-Bergman" for that.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Have you ever had a close call? Like even cracking ice? I've never driven on a road like that and probably never will.
Never. There have been trucks that go through, but no casualties (that I can recall) - The lake ice is so thick that they usually get wedged in before completely sinking.

In a few weeks we're doing a 3 nighter in our ice fishing shack where we drive about an hour in the middle of great slave lake. You'll hear a ton of cracking and no lie, it always puckers your butthole, but once you're used to it and realize there's about 5-6 feet of ice under you, you put your mind at ease.

1674227179651.png

Usually the winter road opens in mid December, but we don't go out until January-February. In the odd occasion that a truck does go through, it's either very early into the season, or too late into the season.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Lost my youngest brother a little over a year ago in a car accident. No seatbelt. Jumped the curb into the trees at 40mph. I’ve never seen the photos and didn’t talk to the police for info. I don’t wanna know anything else. That day will haunt me forever.

I don’t know what his wife is going through right now, but I know it’s hell, and my heart is crushed thinking about it. The whole thing f***ing sucks and i hope her daughters come out of this ok so she can devote all her love and attention to them.

• Wow
Reactions: Jussi

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Lost my youngest brother a little over a year ago in a car accident. No seatbelt. Jumped the curb into the trees at 40mph. I’ve never seen the photos and didn’t talk to the police for info. I don’t wanna know anything else. That day will haunt me forever.

I don’t know what his wife is going through right now, but I know it’s hell, and my heart is crushed thinking about it. The whole thing f***ing sucks and i hope her daughters come out of this ok so she can devote all her love and attention to them.
Sorry to hear about that, man. That’s terrible.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

So sorry man...I couldn't imagine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad