Jay Bouwmeester = HOF?

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
So - will Jay Bouwmeester be a candidate for the Hall of Fame?

Good interview with Kelly Chase on the Blues website. I believe Chase said Jay is one of 29 players to win a World Championship, an Olympic gold medal and a Stanley Cup. It's called the Triple Gold Club.

Hard to quantify his achievements with statistics. He said in the interview his wife tells him he has to retire at 40. If he could play three more years after this season he would probably rank in the Top 25 of games played.

The list is composed almost entirely of Hall of Famers it appears - maybe one or two exceptions.

He's ninth on list of consecutive games played (737)

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Good interview with Kelly Chase on the Blues website. I believe Chase said Jay is one of 29 players to win a World Championship, an Olympic gold medal and a Stanley Cup. It's called the Triple Gold Club.

Hard to quantify his achievements with statistics. He said in the interview his wife tells him he has to retire at 40. If he could play three more years after this season he would probably rank in the Top 25 of games played.

The list is composed almost entirely of Hall of Famers it appears - maybe one or two exceptions.

Thoughts?
Seems unlikely. Doug Wilson and Kevin Lowe aren't in it. Zubov had a hard time. Difficult to argue that JayBo is on Zubov level or even better than Lowe.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
JayBo is a gem that gets overlooked.

I can't image the Blues D without him.

HOF? I think so, but as some have said, that may lower the bar too much.

Win another Cup and put in the minutes, then it becomes a possibility.

Reactions: execwrite1

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

Thoughts?
Winning is a team accomplishment. HoF is an individual compliment

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Accomplishments with Team Canada mean very little to me. Yes, you have to be good enough to make the team, but he’s never been instrumental in anything Team Canada has won. He was, however, absolutely instrumental in the Blues Cup run, but it’s the only extended playoff run of his career and he doesn’t have any impressive numbers outside of playing a ton of games, which is commendable, but hardly HOF worthy. He’s been a good player for a very long time, but has never won any individual awards(unless you count Best Dman at the 2003 World Championships) and only has 2 All Star Game Appearances. Very nice career, but not HOF worthy IMO.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Accomplishments with Team Canada mean very little to me. Yes, you have to be good enough to make the team, but he’s never been instrumental in anything Team Canada has won. He was, however, absolutely instrumental in the Blues Cup run, but it’s the only extended playoff run of his career and he doesn’t have any impressive numbers outside of playing a ton of games, which is commendable, but hardly HOF worthy. He’s been a good player for a very long time, but has never won any individual awards(unless you count Best Dman at the 2003 World Championships) and only has 2 All Star Game Appearances. Very nice career, but not HOF worthy IMO.

He assisted on the 2nd biggest goal team Canada has scored over 2 decades of NHL players in the Olympics with his shot-pass tipped by Benn for the only goal in the semi-finals vs USA in the 2014 Olympics. He was also absolute stud in Canada's 2003 and 2004 WC gold medals and he led Canada's D in +/- during the 2016 WCH gold medal.

Your statement isn't remotely accurate. He played a big role in 4 gold medals, 2 of them being true best-on-best tournaments.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
He assisted on the 2nd biggest goal team Canada has scored over 2 decades of NHL players in the Olympics with his shot-pass tipped by Benn for the only goal in the semi-finals vs USA in the 2014 Olympics. He was also absolute stud in Canada's 2003 and 2004 WC gold medals and he led Canada's D in +/- during the 2016 WCH gold medal.

Your statement isn't remotely accurate. He played a big role in 4 gold medals, 2 of them being true best-on-best tournaments.
:laugh: +\- Well at least he’s got that entirely meaningless “stat” going for him.

Replace him with the next guy up for Team Canada and they win every single medal they won with him. He’s not a difference maker at that level of play.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I wouldn’t say HOF, he’s not a dominant player but has been very good. Tho they did let Guy Carbonneau in so who knows at this point

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Would lower the bar a lot if JayBo made it in. He's been one of the most solid acquisitions this org has seen considering we gave up next to nothing for what was the best available defenseman who was a huge upgrade to solidify our top pairing LD. His injury hurt his game for about a year and a half but he's been back to his old self since the late half of last season and continued on into this year.

Reactions: dutchblues

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Zero chance. He isn't close to the status of player to get into the hof. The closest he's come to winning a norris is 11th in voting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad