Jason Williams

Comic Book Guy*

As some of you may know, I am an advocate of developing a checking line that specifically matches up against the league's top lines and tries to keep them pinned in the opposing zone. To achieve this, I have been a proponent of acquiring hard-working players such as: Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader, Vern Fiddler, to play on a charlie-hustle line with Boyd Gordon.

I went to training camp this weekend and saw Jason Williams there. I remember him doing really well in Detroit. In his best three seasons, he scored:

2005–06 Detroit Red Wings NHL 80GP 21G 37A 58PTS 26PIMS
2007–08 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 43GP 13G 23A 36PTS 22PIMS
2008–09 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 39GP 12G 17A 29PTS 16PIMS

On top of this, he has been historically a PPG'er in the minors. What the heck happened to this guy? At his best, he is an absolute NHL stud. I know 2008 is long gone and he may be washed up, but I'm really pulling for this guy to make the team. Do any of you know what happened to him? Do you think he can make it back to the NHL with us this season as a checking-line right winger for Boyd Gordon? It sure would make it easier to waive scrubs like Joensuu and Hendricks.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
As some of you may know, I am an advocate of developing a checking line that specifically matches up against the league's top lines and tries to keep them pinned in the opposing zone. To achieve this, I have been a proponent of acquiring hard-working players such as: Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader, Vern Fiddler, to play on a charlie-hustle line with Boyd Gordon.

I went to training camp this weekend and saw Jason Williams there. I remember him doing really well in Detroit. In his best three seasons, he scored:

2005–06 Detroit Red Wings NHL 80GP 21G 37A 58PTS 26PIMS
2007–08 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 43GP 13G 23A 36PTS 22PIMS
2008–09 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 39GP 12G 17A 29PTS 16PIMS

On top of this, he has been historically a PPG'er in the minors. What the heck happened to this guy? At his best, he is an absolute NHL stud. I know 2008 is long gone and he may be washed up, but I'm really pulling for this guy to make the team. Do any of you know what happened to him? Do you think he can make it back to the NHL with us this season as a checking-line right winger for Boyd Gordon?It sure would make it easier to waive scrubs like Hendricks.

:laugh:

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
If he wins the spot in TC, sure.

But he has to beat Pitlick, Pinizzotto, Pakarinen, Joensuu, Westgarth, Lander, among others.

Some of those he may beat, but I'll be surprised if he wins it.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Saw the thread title and assumed Justin Williams. Nope.

I'm guessing Jason Williams' best years are long behind him. I do like your preference for smashmouth players, though. Takes me back to the Silver Era of the Oilers - late 90s viciousness and a team that would bleed together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad