Value of: Jason Spezza

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
You may need some retention or to send cap the other way.

I believe Toronto has the cap space for a deadline trade. He is a UFA. I don't know how to calculate what his cap would be post deadline, but even with Nylander's 10.2m we have a lot.

It would merely be a rental, does a 3rd round pick get it done ?
He'd basically just be a 4th line center that's good at the dot.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
3rd sounds right, maybe a conditional rise to second if the acquirer team makes it past 2 rounds. He is still a skilled forward and great at faceoff, just the kind of TDL pickup teams look for.

Reactions: ElTito

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
3rd sounds right, maybe a conditional rise to second if the acquirer team makes it past 2 rounds. He is still a skilled forward and great at faceoff, just the kind of TDL pickup teams look for.
Exactly what I was thinking. He'd also be able to move up and down the lineup if needed, defensive zone draws, or as an injury replacement. Conditional 3rd sounds about right.

What's he going to be looking for come July 1?

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Exactly what I was thinking. He'd also be able to move up and down the lineup if needed, defensive zone draws, or as an injury replacement. Conditional 3rd sounds about right.

What's he going to be looking for come July 1?

Well, he's said he likes playing in Dallas and that he's made enough money, so he is willing to take whatever the Stars will pay him to keep playing there after his current contract runs out (his young family probably plays into this quite a bit). Assuming he is even willing to waive his NMC at the TDL, I would treat him as a pure rental.

Maybe winning in the playoffs would change his mind though?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Spezza has been fairly solid this season and even though he’s the oldest player on the team with the most money in the bank he’s playing with more passion than the majority of our team. He’s gone on record saying hes open to re-signing cheap so I think we should take that option.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Boston needs a 3C. If they could fit Spezza in that would be a really good 1-2-3 when (if) Bergy gets back.

I'd throw in a prospect with retention as well as the pick.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Spezza has been fairly solid this season and even though he’s the oldest player on the team with the most money in the bank he’s playing with more passion than the majority of our team. He’s gone on record saying hes open to re-signing cheap so I think we should take that option.

He could always re-sign in the offseason though. If we are out of it by the deadline or even on the outside looking in, we should definitely try and get some assets for him

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
He could always re-sign in the offseason though. If we are out of it by the deadline or even on the outside looking in, we should definitely try and get some assets for him

True if he’s willing to do that then that would work

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
True if he’s willing to do that then that would work

Honestly I kinda feel that the only place he really wants to be right now long term is in Dallas. Not just for the team but for the city too. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires if he can't sign here. Maybe even pull a Mike Fisher and sign later in the season for a playoff push if he still wants to play. Then again if he puts up 40+ points this season and is willing to sign for dirt cheap, how can you turn that down lol

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Honestly I kinda feel that the only place he really wants to be right now long term is in Dallas. Not just for the team but for the city too. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires if he can't sign here. Maybe even pull a Mike Fisher and sign later in the season for a playoff push if he still wants to play. Then again if he puts up 40+ points this season and is willing to sign for dirt cheap, how can you turn that down lol

Yeah he seems to really like playing here and we need offence like crazy so it’s the perfect match. I really hope we are in playoff position by the deadline and don’t have to worry about it

Reactions: Kcb12345

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
If Guri, Hintz, Shore, all play well I could see Nill gambling on them and getting a pick. And, I dont really see them bringing him back. Gotta roll with the yutes at some point.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

The assets would be scraps though. He doesn’t have much value. Why move him out for a mid or late pick if you plan on keeping him? It’s not like a 3rd rounder even projects to become an NHL player.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The assets would be scraps though. He doesn’t have much value. Why move him out for a mid or late pick if you plan on keeping him? It’s not like a 3rd rounder even projects to become an NHL player.

If it was a conditional 3rd that could become a 2nd then it's worth it. This is all assuming the Stars aren't even close to a playoff spot come deadline time or if Nill thinks the team has no chance

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00