CBC Hot Stove: Jason Spezza on the block?

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
What happened to Speeza I remember him playing in OHL .. Good player just never became a great player in the NHL like many thought expected back then ..

Never became a great player?

The guy averaged a point per game from 05-06 to 11-12.

Spezza once had 71A in 68GP. That's pretty damn great, in my opinion. A prime Spezza would be the best player on many teams today.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Never became a great player?

The guy averaged a point per game from 05-06 to 11-12.

Spezza once had 71A in 68GP. That's pretty damn great, in my opinion. A prime Spezza would be the best player on many teams today.
He's a good player that's for sure He never reached great status though .. Was he ever a constant top 10 player in the league over a 5 year period .

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Beleskey with an add for Hanzel and move Spezza back to center?

Just because Hanzal isn't scoring it doesn't mean he hasn't been amazing for us. He's a big reason for our PK success, and we didn't sign him for offense. (Faceoffs and PK)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He's a good player that's for sure He never reached great status though .. Was he ever a constant top 10 player in the league over a 5 year period

For many years he was one of the best playmakers in the entire league, and just 2 years ago he put up 33 goals with Dallas. Are you saying that only 10 players in the league are "great" players? Spezza qualifies as a Star player as much as anyone in this league

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
I think Spezza for Eriksson is very fair with no retaining both ways. Think St. Louis might like him but I'd like to see him retire with Ottawa.

It is not remotely fair.

Spezza has one year remaining after this season.

Eriksson has four years remaining after this season.

A Jason Spezza buyout would only mean a 2.5 hit for two years and is very manageable if the Stars feel like its the only option. This isn't terribly likely as they have Hamhuis (who should be replaced by Heiskanen) and Lehtonen coming off the books for around $10 million next season.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Spezza would be a good 2nd line centre for a lot of teams. Still as others have said that contract is awful. Doubt he gets moved.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
For many years he was one of the best playmakers in the entire league, and just 2 years ago he put up 33 goals with Dallas. Are you saying that only 10 players in the league are "great" players? Spezza qualifies as a Star player as much as anyone in this league
He's a good player call him a star player if you like . He never reached or became a great player. He's played 14 seasons as an offensive forward and only 1 time has finished in the top 10 in points 2 times finished in the top 15 in points 2 other times he finished the season 28th and 29th in points and 1 season in 44 th in points .. Those were his best seasons . 8 other seasons he finished outside of the top 50 in points.. Good player/star but not a great player..

Last edited:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Wasn't Hitch the HockeyCanada coach that didnt' want Spezza at the WC when Spezza was in his prime? Could see him not using Spezza very well...

Crosby-Malkin-Spezza would be hilarious. I can already picture them replaying that video of Crosby/Spezza in the playoffs that was had people touting Crosby as a god endlessly.

He was a good player call him a star player if you like . He never reached or became a great player.
Semantics. He was one of the most dominating players on a dominating line in the league for 2-3 years. He didn't have a long peak, but his peak was certainly higher than 90% of NHL players. A "good" player likely wouldn't get Hart considering in his career and Spezza did in 2012.

I think the word you're looking for is Elite. He was never elite like the likes of Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos but Spezza would definitely be in the same company as guys like Sedin/Backstrom/Thornton when considering entire careers. His only fault was never winning a Cup and never establishing that extra defensive edge. Guys like Toews/Zetterberg are revered mostly because of on ice success as well as having two-way elements but its hard to remian objective and compare head to head when using team accomplishments. But I'd question calling Toews elite and Spezza "good" when you look at offensive talent and disclude team success.

Last edited:

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Wasn't Hitch the HockeyCanada coach that didnt' want Spezza at the WC when Spezza was in his prime? Could see him not using Spezza very well...

Crosby-Malkin-Spezza would be hilarious. I can already picture them replaying that video of Crosby/Spezza in the playoffs that was had people touting Crosby as a god endlessly.

Semantics. He was one of the most dominating players on a dominating line in the league for 2-3 years. He didn't have a long peak, but his peak was certainly higher than 90% of NHL players. A "good" player likely wouldn't get Hart considering in his career and Spezza did in 2012.

I think the word you're looking for is Elite. He was never elite like the likes of Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos but Spezza would definitely be in the same company as guys like Sedin/Backstrom/Thornton when considering entire careers. His only fault was never winning a Cup and never establishing that extra defensive edge. Guys like Toews/Zetterberg are revered mostly because of on ice success as well as having two-way elements but its hard to remian objective and compare head to head when using team accomplishments. But I'd question calling Toews elite and Spezza "good" when you look at offensive talent and disclude team success.
I like Speeza as a player I know it seems like I'm dumping on him .. Toews is probably the more complete player but offensively its Speeza .. I guess Elite is the word I was looking for..

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Yeah I have no interest in dumping Spezza for a longer contract or retaining a bunch on him and not getting quality assets back. I'd rather fire Hitch into the sun. Spezza has been stuck with plugs and given no ice time all season.

If Hitch knew how to use offensive players rather than trying to teach an old dog new tricks (teach Spezza how to play defence) he'd have decent to good offensive numbers.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
as a leafs fan i wouldn't mind a deal surrounding spezza for bozak +. hitchcock can teach bozak how to play defense while spezza would upgrade the leafs at C and has another year left.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Did someone on this thread say Spezza was never a great hockey player? That comment shows your hockey IQ on this board.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
What happened to Speeza I remember him playing in OHL .. Good player just never became a great player in the NHL like many thought expected back then ..
If I recall correctly, his skating was always an issue (he's skating in mud right now) and while he was super skilled for passing, he gave the puck away a TON.
I remember him always being good for a goal/point against the Leafs but also always good for a horrible neutral zone give away that led to a goal.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
He's a good player call him a star player if you like . He never reached or became a great player. He's played 14 seasons as an offensive forward and only 1 time has finished in the top 10 in points 2 times finished in the top 15 in points 2 other times he finished the season 28th and 29th in points and 1 season in 44 th in points .. Those were his best seasons . 8 other seasons he finished outside of the top 50 in points.. Good player/star but not a great player..

what the shit do you consider a great player if Spezza was never one in your eyes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad