Jason Spezza Appreciation Thread - WOOOOOOOOOO

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He may join the coaching staff as early as next season.

Wonder why he didn’t come here when he had the earlier chance but went to Dallas.
I suspect he resigned with Dallas in November 2014 for financial security.

He had just been traded to Dallas thar summer. He got a $30-million extension with the Stars. If he turned that down, he would have borne the risk of a career-limiting or career-ending injury before reaching free agency in July 2015.

At that point, he had probably earned about $55-million of the $88-million he would eventually earn -- before escrow and agency fees. Even though that is plenty for life, re-upping and mitigating risk is a very responsible thing for a family-oriented husband and father to do.

Maybe the sad state of the Leafs at that time was also a consideration, but we'll never know.

Enough to say he was looking after the Spezza family at that time.

I would do the same thing, too.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
For all the years we craved and went after old dogs for leadership and poise, Spezza has been the perfect fit and exceeded all expectations.

Marleau did a great job but his play fell off so fast, Thornton leaves a sour taste in my mouth after seeing him in that all or nothing special, but Spez, damn, on and off the ice, a complete class act, that backs up that leadership with actions like taking Campbell aside and calming him down.

He will be the Leaf with a Legend and in the least amount of games I feel, he may be a Sen, but his heart is all blue and white baby.

Love you Spezza, give me some of that vintage tonight please.

Reactions: Ciao

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I suspect he resigned with Dallas in November 2014 for financial security.

He had just been traded to Dallas thar summer. He got a $30-million extension with the Stars. If he turned that down, he would have borne the risk of a career-limiting or career-ending injury before reaching free agency in July 2015.

At that point, he had probably earned about $55-million of the $88-million he would eventually earn -- before escrow and agency fees. Even though that is plenty for life, re-upping and mitigating risk is a very responsible thing for a family-oriented husband and father to do.

Maybe the sad state of the Leafs at that time was also a consideration, but we'll never know.

Enough to say he was looking after the Spezza family at that time.

I would do the same thing, too.
Thanks for the reply :thumbu:, I had forgotten how it had all played out.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
He may join the coaching staff as early as next season.

Wonder why he didn’t come here when he had the earlier chance but went to Dallas.
Probably because our future looked bleak in the Summer of 2015. Free agents wanting a chance at a Cup weren't looking here.

He signed with Dallas long before reaching free agency.

He was never available to the Leafs.
He was a UFA at the time.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Probably because our future looked bleak in the Summer of 2015. Free agents wanting a chance at a Cup weren't looking here.

He was a UFA at the time.
Beats me.

I'm just going by CapFriendly, which says he signed his four-year $30-million 2015-19 contract with Dallas on November 21, 2014.

If CapFriendly is right, then he was extended and under contract to Dallas long before reaching free agency.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Beats me.

I'm just going by CapFriendly, which says he signed his four-year $30-million 2015-19 contract with Dallas on November 21, 2014.

If CapFriendly is right, then he was extended and under contract to Dallas long before reaching free agency.
Now I get it. He was traded from Ottawa to Dallas in the offseason with one year remaining and then extended his contract during that last year. Reading be hard!

Still, I doubt he would have come here had he played out that last year and became a UFA.

Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad