Continue.

Part 1

Last edited by a moderator:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I hope Pomms gets to play tomorrow... we need all hands on deck vs the Kings, and we're already short a 2C with Cullen out...

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I agree. Will be awesome to have a line that really stacks up against lines like Sharp-Toews-Kane or Carter-Richards-Williams.......or the bigger one Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Looks like a lot of Wild fans are iffy on this trade.

Don't be, Pominville is a legit top line winger who does it all.
You guys are a legit cup contender and Pominville will help you get closer to the goal.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

You guys are a legit cup contender and Pominville will help you get closer to the goal.

They are more iffy because so many are gunshy at the fact we are giving up draft picks in a theorized deep draft. Everyone knows you can't go one year without a first round without jeopardizing your entire future. Just ask the red wings!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I wouldn't say we're iffy. I'd say we're thrilled to have Pominville, but sad to give up Larsson.

I'd call any trade that you like what you get but have a bit of regret of what you gave to be a sign of a fair deal.

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN
I think that's a good point to bring up Tim. The only issues (and I'm more playing Devil's Advocate here) are that Pominville was playing in the East and we've had other players enter the team and see their numbers go down or were starting to decline.

That's a great point. The first player I thought of was Chuck Kobasew. He was a solid player for Boston for a few years, then came here and laid an egg. The goal scoring is only part of the equation for Pominville though.

He's a leader, a good two way player and he can chip in on the score sheet. I think our top line looks great after this trade, but my concern is what the 2nd line looks like if Cullen is out longer than a few games.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I'm excited to see the Captain Line play tomorrow night. Can't wait to see how much better Pommers makes that top line.

Willie Nylander

May 3, 2010
As a leaf fan, not only am i extremely jealous that you guys landed pominville, but i am also relieved as he is an absolute leaf killer. You have to give to get and in my opinion you guys got more than you gave. A guy who can play in every situation while being on your top line is something that we rarely see and you guys got that in pominville. Goodluck in the playoffs!

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Just wanted to come by and echo what a lot of us Sabres fans are saying: you'll be very happy with Pommers, complete game all around, phenomenal teammate and solid in the playoffs. Looking forward to that Parise-Koivu-Pominville line shutting down the Sedin's in the playoffs. Yes, the Canucks are our cousin club, but I'll root for a great group of fans in the middle of the real "hockey-heaven" over a bunch of whiny, overrated divers any day. Here's to hoping that Larsson can be that two-way stud centerman that we've been missing since Chris Drury! :yo:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Here's the thing:

Hackett- He was going to go anyway. He was the odd-man out after Kuemper's emergence. Not to mention we still have Gustafsson. So if he's going to go, might as well be in a package for a first line winger, right?

Larsson- This is what hurts. Johan "Koivu-lite" Larsson was gonna be a good player for us. Here's the thing about him though: he was buried in the depth chart. Sure he might be a good 45-55 point two way center (keyword, might), but then again, he might have just been a 30 point 3rd line center. I'm ok with the risk of losing him if we get to add a legitimate top line winger. Oh look, we did!

2013 1st- Ah yes, the ever valuable draft pick. Here's how I see it: yes it's a deep draft, but the pick's going to be in the mid 20s. Depending on Buffalo's drafting, he might not ever be anything special.

All in all, there's a lot of "ifs" attached to these players/picks. Sure they're promising prospects, but that's all they are is prospects. A lot of things need to go right for them to reach their full potentials. I think if you can get a bonafide first liner for them, you do it. Not to mention, we still have a very deep pool to boot.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
My long thoughts on acquiring Pominville and how it signals a change for the Wild.

This is a weird deal that I'm torn upon because Minnesota is using its assets well but is still rich and a huge risk. There is nothing wrong with the fact it's not a cheap fix. This goes along the lines of signing Parise and Suter - if you're going to spend money, don't settle. Still, acquiring Pominville for this price puts the Wild in a position where they are going for it now and that's always tough to accept.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle

We are not used to actually having prospects so the idea of trading one is kind of new.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
Just hope that Pomenville can score 20 goals a year in the harder Western conference.

Also can we sign him for another 4-5 years and realistic money, so that we can re-sign the blue chippers in a couple years.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's a great point. The first player I thought of was Chuck Kobasew. He was a solid player for Boston for a few years, then came here and laid an egg. The goal scoring is only part of the equation for Pominville though.

He's a leader, a good two way player and he can chip in on the score sheet. I think our top line looks great after this trade, but my concern is what the 2nd line looks like if Cullen is out longer than a few games.

Kobasew was never a top line player. Did you forget we brought Rolston from the east and his production went UP? Parise is about the same level as last season. Those are more comparable players to what Pominville brings to the table.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
We are not used to actually having prospects so the idea of trading one is kind of new.

Two things we are not used to:

- Having depth where we can lose guys and not impact us terribly

- Making a big splash instead of a GM that is a paper tiger. Riser did it all the time "we are going to make big moves and be very active" only to trade for Simon

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Kobasew was never a top line player. Did you forget we brought Rolston from the east and his production went UP? Parise is about the same level as last season. Those are more comparable players to what Pominville brings to the table.

Stop with your stupid logic. :sarcasm:

SP1966

Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas
Here's the thing:

Hackett- He was going to go anyway. He was the odd-man out after Kuemper's emergence. Not to mention we still have Gustafsson. So if he's going to go, might as well be in a package for a first line winger, right?

Larsson- This is what hurts. Johan "Koivu-lite" Larsson was gonna be a good player for us. Here's the thing about him though: he was buried in the depth chart. Sure he might be a good 45-55 point two way center (keyword, might), but then again, he might have just been a 30 point 3rd line center. I'm ok with the risk of losing him if we get to add a legitimate top line winger. Oh look, we did!

2013 1st- Ah yes, the ever valuable draft pick. Here's how I see it: yes it's a deep draft, but the pick's going to be in the mid 20s. Depending on Buffalo's drafting, he might not ever be anything special.

All in all, there's a lot of "ifs" attached to these players/picks. Sure they're promising prospects, but that's all they are is prospects. A lot of things need to go right for them to reach their full potentials. I think if you can get a bonafide first liner for them, you do it. Not to mention, we still have a very deep pool to boot.

I was going to post my thoughts on this trade, no point, you nailed it!

We received an All Star first line player in exchange for potential, no complaints from me!!

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Seriously that first line is sexy. Hopefully it can take over while the 2nd line tries to find some sort of groove without Cullen.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Seriously that first line is sexy. Hopefully it can take over while the 2nd line tries to find some sort of groove without Cullen.

Man... can you believe how our top line has transformed in such a short time? The days of Brunnette-Koivu-Miettinen seem so loooonnnggg ago, but it really hasn't been that long at all!

Parise-Koivu-Pominville

Look at that and let it sink in guys!

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I posted a crap load in the last thread before I went to the gym, but ultimately my 2 Cents comes down to this:

Do you want to try to win this year and next year, or keep hearing the same song and dance "its coming guys..." we are so used to hearing. Even GMCF was saying that for the first couple years while we got the prospect depth up to what it should have always been.

You do not win championships with just your prospects/draft picks. That is wishful thinking and people need to stop thinking it is how you do it. Look at the Twins and how many times we've listened to a front office that proclaimed we were only "2 years away" then pitching goes to hell or doesn't pan out and we are "4 years away." You want to win, you draft soundly and fill the gaps with proven players. A gaping hole we've had has been the question mark on the 1st line to compliment Koivu and Parise...and most importantly for the playoffs the POWER PLAY RIGHT HAND SHOT.

For Pete's sake guys, we traded for a legit 1st line player that has a great right hand shot to take KYLE BRODZIAK off the top PP line.

Right now the only big question mark we need to address is to get someone to step up on the #4D spot and Gilbert back to how he was playing at the beginning of the year. But we were winning games without it and we got a big scoring threat in return for the hopefulness that a prospect was going to pan out. I like Larsson and I was calling for him to come up just as much as others were...but I'm also tired of waiting to win. I want to do it now and these players deserve it. Especially Koivu. Would you rather it be Granlund or Larsson?

PariseSuterKoivu

Jul 9, 2012
I think this trade might inject some energy into the team at point where there were signs of decline in their play. Might have come at a good time.

goatvindaloo

May 11, 2012
Shenandoah Valley
As a part-time Brynäs fan, I was really hyped when the Wild drafted Larsson, I'm really sad to see him go. Still, I think that this was a good trade.
I think the fact that Gustafsson and Graovac have had great seasons has allowed for Hackett and Larsson to be traded. Both are great prospects, but not a lot of injury to the Wild's prospect depth.
Kinda upset that the Wild gave away a 1st this year though. The 1st round looks really deep. Hopefully another 1st can be picked up at the draft.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
I wouldn't say we're iffy. I'd say we're thrilled to have Pominville, but sad to give up Larsson.

I'd call any trade that you like what you get but have a bit of regret of what you gave to be a sign of a fair deal.

I just think we're not used to REALLY being a buyer like this. Far cry from the days of adding Chris Simon at the deadline eh? ;)

Sad to give up Larsson and that first round pick, and Hackett, but assuming Pommiville continues to play like he has for hopefully a number of years to come on this team, fair trade that I can live with then.

Unbelievable day, can't believe I was stuck at work through all of it! Again, don't like giving up the picks and prospects, but we are still stacked with prospects and eventually someone had to go, so, unbelievable, can't wait to see the all captain line!

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
For Pete's sake guys, we traded for a legit 1st line player that has a great right hand shot to take KYLE BRODZIAK off the top PP line.

This alone is worth selling the kitchen sink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad