Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Jason Botterill has Buffalo on the right track

By: Ryan Kennedy

As the din of free agency begins to soften, it’s time to look at the retooling of the Sabres and how their GM has put his franchise in a position to succeed in the future.

In winning the draft lottery, Buffalo GM Jason Botterill got a gift from the hockey gods in Swedish defenseman Rasmus Dahlin, but Botterill didn’t rest on that good fortune. Through trades and free agency, he has put the Sabres on the right track. Will they be a playoff team in 2018-19? Probably not. Toronto, Tampa Bay and Boston are near-locks for the post-season, while Florida should be better: the only question is if the Panthers can accrue enough points to snag a wild card spot in the East.

But let’s look at what Botterill has accomplished during his short tenure.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I predict we'll be reminded how the two vets from the Blues are garbage.
Berglund is at least a somewhat useful player, Sobotka is just awful and I have no idea why we wanted him. He is Cal Clutterbuck level bad/washed up.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
The problem is media pressured to write stuff 24/7/365 leading to "This summer is already a success" fluff pieces.

It’s only a problem because you’re being a negative Nancy. It’s totally acceptable to think he’s made the right moves for this franchise. This just reflects on that.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Berglund is at least a somewhat useful player, Sobotka is just awful and I have no idea why we wanted him. He is Cal Clutterbuck level bad/washed up.

I would say Sobotka is an improvement over Larsson on the 4th line. He put in 10goals... when’s the last time Larsson ever did that.

The crazier thing is that Berglund has 5more goals at even strength than O’Reilly. I’m not saying O’Reilly is a chump or Berglund is better. But that’s just odd.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Meh, I can't get behind the we are gonna be so much better crowd.

I think Housley needs to go.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
You can't make these things up. From the author of the Sabres article: "In net, the Sabres cut ties with Robin Lehner and managed to sign one of the best options on the (admittedly weak) market in Carter Hutton."

At the bottom of the article in the click-bait "You May Also Like" section, the first link is headlined "Islanders bet on Lehner, land best goalie in thin market."

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
You can't make these things up. From the author of the Sabres article: "In net, the Sabres cut ties with Robin Lehner and managed to sign one of the best options on the (admittedly weak) market in Carter Hutton."

At the bottom of the article in the click-bait "You May Also Like" section, the first link is headlined "Islanders bet on Lehner, land best goalie in thin market."

Not much of a point when you consider that it's a completely different writer from THN.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

Chronology is critical here

Jamie Walker

May 2, 2004
Hamilton, Ont.
that's the first thing I noticed too. anyway, I'm going give Botterill a chance to assemble

"his" type of team. the same way I gave Murray a chance to assemble "his" team. I was excited by what murray did, but in hindsight, he was an idiot. now i'm excited for what botterill is doing. it's different, so hopefully it's better.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Jason Botterill has Buffalo on the right track

By: Ryan Kennedy

As the din of free agency begins to soften, it’s time to look at the retooling of the Sabres and how their GM has put his franchise in a position to succeed in the future.

In winning the draft lottery, Buffalo GM Jason Botterill got a gift from the hockey gods in Swedish defenseman Rasmus Dahlin, but Botterill didn’t rest on that good fortune. Through trades and free agency, he has put the Sabres on the right track. Will they be a playoff team in 2018-19? Probably not. Toronto, Tampa Bay and Boston are near-locks for the post-season, while Florida should be better: the only question is if the Panthers can accrue enough points to snag a wild card spot in the East.

But let’s look at what Botterill has accomplished during his short tenure.
but wait wait! This franchise is an absolute mess right now

Reactions: BananaSquad

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I can't really get on board with the idea that Berglund and Sobotka added much value in the trade, but I do agree with the overall premise of the article.

Meh, I can't get behind the we are gonna be so much better crowd.
He did say he thought the Sabres would miss the playoffs again next year.

goach

Jun 30, 2013
Personally I love where Bitteril is headed ! Not fond of Housely. But a nice direction.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I can't really get on board with the idea that Berglund and Sobotka added much value in the trade, but I do agree with the overall premise of the article.

He did say he thought the Sabres would miss the playoffs again next year.

Idk. I understand that they’re not great players. But if you consider faceoff percentage important, then Berglund/Sobotka help.

If you value even strength scoring, Berglund/Sobotka help there as well.

If you value chemistry/leadership/lockerroom presence and intangibles, Berglund/Sobotka help there too.

If you value defensive ability and grit, then Berglund and Sobotka add some value there as well.

Overall I don’t think we won the trade in terms of straight value. But I think we did what this franchise needed. Shook up the room. Added some character. And restructured around Eichel/Dahlin as thier cornerstones.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think he’s done well except the ROR trade and not using cap space in a smart way.
The good stuff: Sheary trade, keeping high picks, not digning expensive UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad