Jarred Tinordi's bout yesterday

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
this is what you wrote. I'll bold it again if you like

No player code or self-policing has eliminated the rat/coward element in the NHL. You're entitled to wish for this scenario, but it hasn't been borne out by actual evidence

And this is what you wrote:

The problem is not that Cooke is somehow immune to retribution, its that it hasnt been metered out enough.

Your position is that the way to decrease Cooke's antics is to increase fights -- that punishment hasn't been meted out enough. And yet this player (and many like him) have been around for years and remained unchanged by years of retribution. How could that happen if retribution worked? Every team in the league has had multiple chances to get retribution against multiple rats over multiple years, yet the rats remain. Retribution has not worked.

So you posit that the purpose of fighting is to eliminate the rat/coward element and because it has not, you offer this a proof that it does not work as a deterrant. But its based on a complete FALSE assumption, no one has ever suggested that self policing is an absolute deterrant, unless it was done disingenuously. If you want to see and example, look up a paragraph.

Where did "Absolute deterrent" come from? No one -- certainly not me -- ever said that. But where's the evidence that fighting reduces dirty hits? Not opinions, not polls -- real data that shows a decrease of cheap shots resulting from an increase in fights. Where is that evidence? Because there is very concrete evidence that rats still exist despite fights.

Fighting and cheap shots have existed side-by-side forever. Somehow, after all these decades of coexistence, neither has significantly reduced the other, and yet you insist on drawing lines between them. Enjoy fights all you want, but don't pretend they're part of the noble campaign to combat rats.

And ignoring the very demographic that is 1) the most connected to the game and 2) the ones to face the consequences of these changes is a fine tactic. The guys dont need your consent to fight and still do it whether you approve or not.

Again with this fixation on player polls. There was a similar poll where players voted Montreal to be one of their favourite cities to play in. Hasn't exactly translated to many of them signing here. Newsflash: What people SAY and what they actually DO are very, very different things.

I still have no idea what player polls have to do with this thread. Also have no idea what "consent to fight" means, and who is questioning it.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
A young Larry Robinson moment. Tinordi will not be going down to AHL again. He just bought his place on Habs. Every player in NHL knows what he just did. He made Torres look like a girl.

I LOVE Tinordi, but...

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Just hope MT sits down with Tinordi and tells him not to try scrapping with Lucic. Don't want 2 young Habs d-men getting screwed up by that guy. Tinordi isn't ready for Lucic.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Eller had not touched the puck, ref was calling interference which was the right call

No the ref called boarding. The puck was close enough for it to not be interference. But Eller who was tryign to get control of the puck was not in a position to be hitted so far from the board so the ref called board which was a correct call if i understand the rule correctly.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Okay and did Niemi even have to make 1 hard save all game? It was probably his easiest shutout of his career... When you can't score a single goal in two games, you're getting dominated or you're snake bitten and we all know which one it was...

Outside of the first period, niemi didn't have to break a sweat. Its hard enough to beat San Jose when the conditions are ideal. Playing them at the tail end of a 7th game in 11 night stretch, without your best player.... Well, I kinda saw this coming.

I didn't have too much problem with what tinordi did. In the heat of the moment, you can totally understand it.

Its one of those those plays that can galvanize the team, or sink them completely. In the long run, its a win though because I'm sure his teammates will remember this play and appreciate him.

Last edited:

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
You guys really need to calm down and stop arguing about this.
Tinordi saw a guy with bad reputation hit his teammate in a volunorable spot. Regardless if Eller touched the puck or not and regardless what the refs would do, Tinordi had exactly one second to decide if he's going in or not. I'm glad he did.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Just hope MT sits down with Tinordi and tells him not to try scrapping with Lucic. Don't want 2 young Habs d-men getting screwed up by that guy. Tinordi isn't ready for Lucic.

It's not just Lucic I'd like him to avoid. hope he rarely gets into fights. I don't want Tinordi to sustain a concussion from any source. I

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010
It's not just Lucic I'd like him to avoid. hope he rarely gets into fights. I don't want Tinordi to sustain a concussion from any source. I

Maybe he should stop playing hockey and become a chartered accountant. Though driving to work is pretty dangerous. Damn this world is so dangerous.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

You sound scared. You also sound like you have a crush on Lucic.

hogtownhabsfan*

Give Tinordi one more offseason. Next year he fights Lucic. It's happening. I mean, he's already beat guys who've beat Lucic, so it's not that far fetched. Hell it could happen tomorrow...

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
lucic cowers away after he gets hit a couple of times. hes a good fighter but at the same time he cant take a punch

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Last edited:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If Tinordi looked like a threat, Lucic wouldn't fight him. He's a smart fighter and only gets in scraps he thinks he can win. He learned that from Chara, who would always go for quick takedowns if he fought guys like Laraque.

What's more classic hockey is if Tinordi just grabbed Lucic and pounded him as a way to administer dominance on the ice. I don't know how ready he is for that.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Not sure where people get this notion that Lucic "screwed up" Komisarek. Yeah he hurt his shoulder and played like crap the rest of the year, but if he had re signed here and stayed with Markov, no ridiculous TML contract or expectations he would have conued to be a reliable #3-4 physical d-man. Signing that crazy contract screwed him up. Everybody thought he would come in and be like Chara with Boston and suddenly Toronto would be tough on defense and cut down the GAA. Only problem he couldn't bring Markov.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Lucic never screwed up Komisarek. Had Komisarek never dropped the gloves, Lucic would have continued taking dumb penalties. Komisarek screwed up Komisarek.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Not sure where people get this notion that Lucic "screwed up" Komisarek. Yeah he hurt his shoulder and played like crap the rest of the year, but if he had re signed here and stayed with Markov, no ridiculous TML contract or expectations he would have conued to be a reliable #3-4 physical d-man. Signing that crazy contract screwed him up. Everybody thought he would come in and be like Chara with Boston and suddenly Toronto would be tough on defense and cut down the GAA. Only problem he couldn't bring Markov.

so you are saying that getting beaten like a red headed stepchild wasnt the precipitating incident in his decline ?

There's no shame is losing a tilt, but Komisarek was never the same after that on the ice ( and it had nothing to do with his contract). So much promise went poof that fateful day.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
so you are saying that getting beaten like a red headed stepchild wasnt the precipitating incident in his decline ?

There's no shame is losing a tilt, but Komisarek was never the same after that on the ice ( and it had nothing to do with his contract). So much promise went poof that fateful day.

If it screwed him up that bad he wouldn't have fought Lucic again.

To me it was the contract that derailed his career.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I just think that Komi was flying high going into that fight. He was playing good hockey and was exercising his will physically, so his confidence was at a peak. Getting beat up like that I think popped his confidence, a lot. Shoulder getting hurt didn't help. Signing in Toronto and no Markov, big, big deal. But again, he wasn't the same guy after that fight, he just wasn't. Maybe if he had resigned here his play would have gone back up in time, but who knows.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I just think that Komi was flying high going into that fight. He was playing good hockey and was exercising his will physically, so his confidence was at a peak. Getting beat up like that I think popped his confidence, a lot. Shoulder getting hurt didn't help. Signing in Toronto and no Markov, big, big deal. But again, he wasn't the same guy after that fight, he just wasn't. Maybe if he had resigned here his play would have gone back up in time, but who knows.

He wasn't the same the rest of the year because of the shoulder, much like Prust this year. People overrate the value of winning or losing NHL fights. Standing up for a teammate counts, weather you win or lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad