Speculation: Jaroslav Halak

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think at this point he's a platoon goalie. Maybe he plays against the upper echelon teams, but it's unlikely he plays more than 40-45 games a season.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Anyone think he can still be an NHL No. 1? Which NHL teams may be interested in signing him?
He has started 50+ games in a season twice in his career (since 2006-7) and last year started 49. I don't think he's been considered a true #1 goalie that often.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Hes a 1b at best..i think hes always been just that.
As other have mentioned, a platoon goalie.

I have a feeling he'll be in the KHL to start next year.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Trash goalie who got overhyped because of a mediocre playoff run with the Habs where he got pulled just as often as he had "incredible" games. Pretty much explains his career.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Maybe a cheap 1 year deal in Carolina.

There's not many platoon jobs out there, let alone starting jobs. But if Darling has a bad stretch to start the year again, Halak could be the regular starter pretty quickly.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Trash goalie who got overhyped because of a mediocre playoff run with the Habs where he got pulled just as often as he had "incredible" games. Pretty much explains his career.

And also:

- 2011–12 NHL season – William M. Jennings Trophy (lowest GAA)
- New York Islanders franchise record of the most consecutive win (11, 2014–15))
- New York Islanders franchise record for wins in a season (38, 2014–15)
- has one of the best ratio shutouts / games played from active goalies (42 / 449)

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
And also:

- 2011–12 NHL season – William M. Jennings Trophy (lowest GAA)
- New York Islanders franchise record of the most consecutive win (11, 2014–15))
- New York Islanders franchise record for wins in a season (38, 2014–15)
- has one of the best ratio shutouts / games played from active goalies (42 / 449)

St. Louis had the best team defense and best system in 2011-2012, Elliott also outperformed him. Consecutive wins and record wins in a season doesn't automatically prove one is a good goalie. Yet despite his shutout ratio, his Sv% is well below some well known goalies such as Crawford, Price, Rinne, Rask, Schneider, etc. Elliott also has a great shutout ratio, he's not a good goalie.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Well, lucky enough for Halak, no other pending UFA goalie is starter material. So he's one of the top options. Lehtonen, Ward, Bernier, and a few other guys are going to hit the market. I don't see any one that I would have more faith in than Halak.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Well, lucky enough for Halak, no other pending UFA goalie is starter material. So he's one of the top options. Lehtonen, Ward, Bernier, and a few other guys are going to hit the market. I don't see any one that I would have more faith in than Halak.

X2.

If a team is looking to the UFA market for a goalie that might be able to handle somewhere around half a seasons workload, their top two choices are probably: A) a safe bet in Halak, or B) take a gamble on Hutton. Guys like Ward, Khudobin, Lehtonen and Bernier would be next on the list. Then comes guys that might strictly work as a #2 like Pavelec, Hutchinson and Chad Johnson, as well as some complete wildcards in guys like Mrazek, Hammond and Sateri. Lehner could fall in the first category between Halak and Hutton, if Buffalo lets him walk.

Reactions: iSophagus

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He really isn't that bad. Whoever gets him will be pleasantly surprised.

NYI hung their goalies out to dry all year last season.

You just need a second goalie who can play ~35 games or so, which is really what every NHL team should be doing anyway. The days of playing your starting goaltender 65+ games are over.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
A good backup to have on your team but not sure if he still has it to be a no1 and play the number of games that most teams would want.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
He really isn't that bad. Whoever gets him will be pleasantly surprised.

NYI hung their goalies out to dry all year last season.

You just need a second goalie who can play ~35 games or so, which is really what every NHL team should be doing anyway. The days of playing your starting goaltender 65+ games are over.

Ya, I kinda like Halak, but he did have a pretty bad season. Some teams have a blueline no better than NYI, so there's no guarantee he ends up in a better situation.

I still think Halak ends up in Carolina as an insurance policy against Scott Darling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad