News Article: Jaromir Jagr:Miracle on ice

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
I refuse to take an article seriously that refers Czech Republic as 'Eastern Europe'..

In North America, anything east of Germany is ''OMGZ, Eastern Yurop, communists and goats''..

Interestingly enough, we Germans usually do the same so I would not blame the North Americans. ;)

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
finally got around to reading this. thanks for sharing. found this part interesting:

When I asked a few of the Czech fans at that game where Jágr fits on a list of Czech national heroes, they rank him third—after Václav Havel, the poet, politician, and dissident who was instrumental in the overthrow of communism, and Švejk, the subversive fictional hero of Jaroslav Hašek’s beloved anti-war novel The Good Soldier Švejk.

i ain't no expert on Czech cultural heritage but beating out the likes of Milan Kundera, Jiří Menzel, MiloÅ¡ Forman and Jaroslav Seifert is quite impressive.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Guys, we call Ohio the midwest. That makes far less sense.

But Ohio IS in the midwest.

1000px-Census_Regions_and_Division_of_the_United_States.svg.png

Would you rather call it "The South" or "Northeast?"

Last edited:

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012
To me, the midwest starts just west of State College....

I tell people in RTP that I am a midwesterner....not a Yankee... ;)

if you go by accents I'm pretty sure western pennsylvanian accent gets lumped in with midwest.

member 51464

Living in Kansas, I've been called a Southerner by New Englanders and a Yankee by a Floridian. lol

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
Reading that, Jagr almost seems bipolar or manic-depressive or something. Not that I know a lot about those, but...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad