News Article: Jaromir Jagr:Miracle on ice

BeauKnows19

Mar 28, 2012
New Jersey

Fire Shero*

I actually like Jags, but he came across as a huge *****. I always knew he was a *****, but this reassured me. I thought he matured in his old age, I do not think so. God I hope we beat Boston in the playoffs. But he honestly probably wouldn't care if he lost. He earned his $4.55 million, that's all he wants.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Every time I see an article on Jagr, I thank Christ our 2 young superstars aren't giant flakes. Just straightforward, humble, exceptional talents dedicated to the good of the team.

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
I wonder how much of the Eastern European/Communist upbringing shaped his mindset. Sure the man loves his paycheck, but signing with us in 2011 would've redeemed all that went awry 10 years ago, would've cemented his legend in Pittsburgh, had his number retired, etc. Yet leaving that all on the table didn't bother him one bit, didn't cause him to bat an eyelash, like a machine that doesn't respond to emotion. His icon in Pittsburgh meant absolutely nothing to him, and that's something that will always bother me the most about Jagr.

Last edited:

captain cubicle

Jul 27, 2011
I wonder how much of the Eastern European/Communist upbringing shaped his mindset. Sure the man loves his paycheck, but signing with us in 2011 would've redeemed all that went awry 10 years ago, would've cemented his legend in Pittsburgh, had his number retired, etc. Yet leaving that all on the table didn't bother him one bit, didn't cause him to bat an eyelash. His icon in Pittsburgh meant absolutely nothing to him, and that's something that will always bother me the most about Jagr.

This.

I mean at a certain point when you've literally had the hockey world on its knees how does your legacy mean nothing to you?

Zags91

Apr 19, 2007
Good read. Interesting choice of words at the end of the article!

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
I refuse to take an article seriously that refers Czech Republic as 'Eastern Europe'..

In North America, anything east of Germany is ''OMGZ, Eastern Yurop, communists and goats''..

And Jagr: Ego so big he needs two locker stalls..

Jagr_locker_Dallas_Stars.ashx

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Every time I see an article on Jagr, I thank Christ our 2 young superstars aren't giant flakes. Just straightforward, humble, exceptional talents dedicated to the good of the team.

Personally, still my favorite player ever. I'm thankful to have had him here and to have been fortunate enough to see him play at the igloo many times.

The best game I ever saw was game 6 against the Devils in 1999. Devils were heavily favored to win. Pittsburgh was an 8 seed, down 3-2 in the series. There were tons of rumors about the future of the franchise and if this would be the last game in Pittsburgh.
Jagr hadn't played the previous few games and it was said that he'd likely miss this one as well due to his chronic groin injury.
I recall the crowd right by where the players enter to the ice starting to cheer and I saw why when Jagr skated on to the ice.
The Pens were down by a goal with only a little over two minutes left and Jags tied it up. But it was over time whenStraka ducked a hit by Neidermeyer or Stevens and in doing so ended up on a two on one where he sent a pass to Jags who whipped it by Brodeur to force a game 7 (which the Pens won).

I'll never forget how electric the igloo was that day. I was eight rows back and that was just an awesome moment.

Yes, he has earned his reputation, but he is still, IMO, the greatest European NHLer ever and I'd personally welcome him back. I know that is the minority opinion, but Jagr will always be my personal favorite.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
When he first signed with Philly, I was pretty caught off-guard and sort of pissed off. But like someone else said, it didn't even seem to phase the guy. After a while, even though he was playing for those asshats, I just began to appreciate his talent, and still do to this day. He's an amazing player. He's definitely a screwy individual though. Who knows what sort of stuff he went through as a youngster that has shaped the way he lives. He does kinda seem like a drifter that doesn't really get caught up in creating a legacy or anything like that. I can respect that, I suppose. Some people just don't like that sort of attention. He was and still is a great player, and I am happy I got to watch him play in his prime for my favorite team.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Just when you start to think the guy might actually be human, he turns back into Jagr.

What a weird guy...

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Personally, still my favorite player ever. I'm thankful to have had him here and to have been fortunate enough to see him play at the igloo many times.

The best game I ever saw was game 6 against the Devils in 1999. Devils were heavily favored to win. Pittsburgh was an 8 seed, down 3-2 in the series. There were tons of rumors about the future of the franchise and if this would be the last game in Pittsburgh.
Jagr hadn't played the previous few games and it was said that he'd likely miss this one as well due to his chronic groin injury.
I recall the crowd right by where the players enter to the ice starting to cheer and I saw why when Jagr skated on to the ice.
The Pens were down by a goal with only a little over two minutes left and Jags tied it up. But it was over time whenStraka ducked a hit by Neidermeyer or Stevens and in doing so ended up on a two on one where he sent a pass to Jags who whipped it by Brodeur to force a game 7 (which the Pens won).

I'll never forget how electric the igloo was that day. I was eight rows back and that was just an awesome moment.

Yes, he has earned his reputation, but he is still, IMO, the greatest European NHLer ever and I'd personally welcome him back. I know that is the minority opinion, but Jagr will always be my personal favorite.

Agreed. For a team that was never supposed to go anywhere, they sure were a lot of fun to watch back then and I can't imagine what it could've been like without Jagr. He's the first player I was able to follow throughout his career and no matter with who or how, the day he retires will be tough to see. Is he a bit odd, you bet (his 92 SI quote about girls vs Cups is something I'll never forget!), but I wouldn't have traded him for anything back then and it'll be a shame if one day his 68 isn't up in the rafters.

od71

Apr 8, 2012
The article's author seems to be offended by Jagr's attitude. Obviously his ego was hurt, why did he describe in detail lunch which Jardo preffered over interview? It was silly. And paycheck was not the first reason why he chose Philly. I hate Flyers, but I don't blame Jagr. First of all he wanted to play hockey. In his 40+ it's hard to keep up with Sid's and Geno's speed. He doubted that he would fit Pens transition game. On a PP his favourite place is on a right half-wall which is locked for Sid and Geno.
In Philadelphia he was given a chance to play his hockey, why blame him?
Author forgot to add, if it was about paycheck he would have stayed in Russia

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I wonder how much of the Eastern European/Communist upbringing shaped his mindset. Sure the man loves his paycheck, but signing with us in 2011 would've redeemed all that went awry 10 years ago, would've cemented his legend in Pittsburgh, had his number retired, etc. Yet leaving that all on the table didn't bother him one bit, didn't cause him to bat an eyelash, like a machine that doesn't respond to emotion. His icon in Pittsburgh meant absolutely nothing to him, and that's something that will always bother me the most about Jagr.
This... and he learned some bad habits/ bad attitude somewhere else along the line too. Wonder where or from who?

I really think that Jags came over to Pittsburgh just a wide eyed kid, changed as he grew more business savy and just never matured. Then again I remember him saying "... if they don't pay me, I go to LA and they give me the money... " during his 2nd year, hearing a story about Tocchet checking him hard in practice for being a jerk and not taking shifts for Ivan Hlinka. This was all before "dying alive".

There are stanger players to come along and I don't think he's a bad person but I would really love to know what happened at the end of his time in Pittsburgh. Did he hate the city? Feel like a man on a sinking ship?

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
Very interesting read.

Didn't know about his grandparents or really any of his backstory for that matter. He's obviously a little off, staying at a hotel for $169 a night :laugh:

Kovifan27

Jan 17, 2012
Philly, PA
At the end you see him being human about his dad it's like the switch turns on and he isn't supposed to do that. His emotion side is just not right.

Great article, brought back the memories of him playing out of his mind in the early 90s.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Good read. Secretly...inside...I still want him back on the Penguins for his last year...

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
I refuse to take an article seriously that refers Czech Republic as 'Eastern Europe'..

In North America, anything east of Germany is ''OMGZ, Eastern Yurop, communists and goats''..

When Geographers break Europe into 3 regions: Eastern Europe, Western Europe, and Scandinavia. Take your pick which one you want to identify with. Europe really isn't a big enough continent to contain it's own separate "Central Europe" like Asia or Africa.

But I'm nitpicking, you're from there you probably know better than me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad