Jarome Iginla vs. Martin St. Louis

Who was the better player?

• Total voters

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Love them both, so very hard poll. Martin St. Louis is the right answer here tho.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Really good comparison, two players who are really close in their respective careers. St. Louis has a slightly more impressive trophy case with 2 Rosses and a Hart, but Iginla was certainly a top player in the league and could arguably have a Hart trophy himself. Iginla also did what he did on a horrendous Flames team with no support, I'd also argue that Iginla during the 04 run to the finals had a more impressive playoff run than St. Louis has ever had. Very close comparison but I'd have to give the edge to Iginla by just a bit

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I lean Iginla. But, both guys who along with Naslund had a year or two where they could claim to be the best player in the league and it's just forgotten about.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lecavalier and Stamkos are better linemates than anyone Iginla ever played with.
Well, except for that small run with Sakic in SLC. I vote Iggy, probably my favorite non-Leaf of All-time. When we sucked I loved watching Flames on the back-half of HNIC. And, my Iggy black retro 2002 jersey is a prized item.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
MSL showed up when it mattered.

Iginla while his numbers look ok in the playoffs would let you down, was very Joe Thornton like.

Take for example games 6 and 7 of the 2004 SCF Iginla was invisible with not even a single shot in game 7... all you really need to know.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Iginla while his numbers look ok in the playoffs would let you down, was very Joe Thornton like.

Take for example games 6 and 7 of the 2004 SCF Iginla was invisible with not even a single shot in game 7... all you really need to know.

Figured you'd show up eventually in an Iginla thread. Jarome was the only winger to carry his team to a SCF since the turn of the century.

He and Kiprusoff were the only great position players that the 2004 Flames possessed.

Reactions: RSPens

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Figured you'd show up eventually in an Iginla thread. Jarome was the only winger to carry his team to a SCF since the turn of the century.

He and Kiprusoff were the only great position players that the 2004 Flames possessed.

Iginla certainly wasn't great at the end of 2004.

I know the guy smiles and genuinely seems to be a nice guy but just not someone you can count on to give you that extra push, that leadership spark...you don't need to white knight him.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Iginla certainly wasn't great at the end of 2004.

I know the guy smiles and genuinely seems to be a nice guy but just not someone you can count on to give you that extra push, that leadership spark...you don't need to white knight him.

Assisted a Olympic Gold Medal winning goal. But hey there's no law against being wrong.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Assisted a Olympic Gold Medal winning goal. But hey there's no law against being wrong.

Lol Olympics... Glorified exhibition... one little pass there does not make up for a career of letdowns where the games really matter

But even if you want to talk about the Olympics it not like he was great in 2010 either... He beat up on powerhouses like Norway and Germany where was he the other games?

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
So MSL won his Art Rosses and Hart because of Lecavalier, Richards, and Stamkos

And TB didn't deserve the Cup cus you actually think Gelinas scored in game 6, when it's been proven time and time again that the puck never crossed the line.

Fantastic. Spoken like true poster who doesn't know his hockey.

St. Louis definitely earned his first Ross and was not a passenger by any stretch, but when it comes to his second scoring title, the only reason he won it is because Brooks Orpik broke Sidney Crosby's jaw with a slapshot. MSL capitalised on the opportunity when it presented itself, which he deserves credit for, but he is extremely fortunate to have that second Art Ross.

That being said, this is a close one. I give the slight edge to Iginla, but I can see the argument for St. Louis as well.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
St. Louis definitely earned his first Ross and was not a passenger by any stretch, but when it comes to his second scoring title, the only reason he won it is because Brooks Orpik broke Sidney Crosby's jaw with a slapshot. MSL capitalised on the opportunity when it presented itself, which he deserves credit for, but he is extremely fortunate to have that second Art Ross.

That being said, this is a close one. I give the slight edge to Iginla, but I can see the argument for St. Louis as well.

Even the first Ross was fortunate as Forsberg was clearly the best offensive player in the league but missed half the year, and Jagr wasn’t playing up to his abilities in Washington. Though it was the same for Iginla with a weak field. Realistically both players weren’t good enough to win an Art Ross without favourable circumstances. That’s why award counting can be problematic.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Marty. Iconic.

Iginla? Buwahahahahaha

Would love to see the % of Canadians that voted for him.

Many people north of the border hate Tampa and any success they have as a "southern" team.

Must burn you guys up.

Not this Canadian fan from Winnipeg. I loved that Khabibulin won a Cup. He was one of my favourite Jets players before they relocated.

Still a Lightning fan to this day. Richards was awesome too.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Actually, most Canadian hockey fans would rather see an American team win a cup before a Canadian one.

Ask an Oilers/Jets/Canucks fan if they rather see the Flames win or an American team.
My favourite team in the playoffs once my Canadian team is out is anyone playing a Canadian team.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan

Iginla was the entire offense. The opposition didn't have to worry about anyone else. MSL had the luxury of better linemates than Iginla who could help carry the weight.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Iginla was the entire offense. The opposition didn't have to worry about anyone else. MSL had the luxury of better linemates than Iginla who could help carry the weight.

Just to hammer home this point, the Bolts won two games in the final with St.Louis not getting a point, including game 7, and went 5-3 without him scoring that playoffs. The Flames only won a single game that entire playoffs with Iginla held off the scoresheet, going 1-7. They had fewer wins when Iginla didn’t score a goal (4) than Tampa had when St.Louis didn’t have a point.

Evergreen

Martin St. Louis by a hair, but really it's difficult to compare them because they are just such different players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad