Jari Kurri

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Hey guys and gals

Hope everyone had a good weekend as it's Sunday night here in Michigan. Thought about Jarri Kurri randomly for whatever reason and wanted to ask/learn about his game. I know he was a left hand shot, Gretzky's left-winger (if I read/remember correctly) and scored 600+ goals in his career. Was a big winger? Was his calling card blasting one-timers from Gretzky's feeds that was his meal ticket, or did he have really good hands that would beat a guy one-on-one and then deke a goalie etc.? Was he a "highly touted" prospect coming from Finland or did he fall in the "diamond-in-the-rough" category? Look forward to the comments/knowledge/videos etc. *head swabs*-Jim

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Hey guys and gals

Hope everyone had a good weekend as it's Sunday night here in Michigan. Thought about Jarri Kurri randomly for whatever reason and wanted to ask/learn about his game. I know he was a left hand shot, Gretzky's left-winger (if I read/remember correctly) and scored 600+ goals in his career. Was a big winger? Was his calling card blasting one-timers from Gretzky's feeds that was his meal ticket, or did he have really good hands that would beat a guy one-on-one and then deke a goalie etc.? Was he a "highly touted" prospect coming from Finland or did he fall in the "diamond-in-the-rough" category? Look forward to the comments/knowledge/videos etc. *head swabs*-Jim

Right handed shot on the right wing actually. Definitely Gretzky's right hand man. About 10 years ago I remember The "Best Damn Sports Show" (remember that show?) doing a segment ranking the best duos in sports history. This is an American show that you always assume ignores hockey but Gretzky and Kurri ranked 6th all-time. There were some serious names ahead of them too if I remember correctly. Ruth/Gehrig, Jordan/Pippen, Montana/Rice, Magic/Kareem and the other one might have been Shaq and Kobe. Either way, great company.

Kurri was not a one-trick pony. Not known for his slap shot as much as his hands. Definitely had soft hands, a classic scoring touch. I know with Gretzky he once scored 71, but even without him you get the feeling he's a 50 goal guy a time or two at least. Strong defensively too, very strong. Glen Sather wanted him to win the Selke in 1983 over Clarke. Maybe he should have, who knows.

No, not terribly highly touted either. He was 69th overall in the 1980 draft. Not sure about diamond in the rough either, I think about Zetterberg when I think about that. He was probably on some radars in 1980, just not very high.

I could make a good argument that Kurri is a HHOFer even without Gretzky. Had a 102 and 93 season after the Gretzky trade. Of course, Messier was still there, but there is no doubt Kurri held his own throughout his career.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Right handed shot on the right wing actually. Definitely Gretzky's right hand man. About 10 years ago I remember The "Best Damn Sports Show" (remember that show?) doing a segment ranking the best duos in sports history. This is an American show that you always assume ignores hockey but Gretzky and Kurri ranked 6th all-time. There were some serious names ahead of them too if I remember correctly. Ruth/Gehrig, Jordan/Pippen, Montana/Rice, Magic/Kareem and the other one might have been Shaq and Kobe. Either way, great company.

Kurri was not a one-trick pony. Not known for his slap shot as much as his hands. Definitely had soft hands, a classic scoring touch. I know with Gretzky he once scored 71, but even without him you get the feeling he's a 50 goal guy a time or two at least. Strong defensively too, very strong. Glen Sather wanted him to win the Selke in 1983 over Clarke. Maybe he should have, who knows.

No, not terribly highly touted either. He was 69th overall in the 1980 draft. Not sure about diamond in the rough either, I think about Zetterberg when I think about that. He was probably on some radars in 1980, just not very high.

I could make a good argument that Kurri is a HHOFer even without Gretzky. Had a 102 and 93 season after the Gretzky trade. Of course, Messier was still there, but there is no doubt Kurri held his own throughout his career.

So cool Phil! Thank you for the correction on being a right-hand shot. Some reason I thought left but I am mistaken! That Best Damn Sport show reference was pretty wild/interesting cite too! Sounds like he would've been on the first penalty killing unit for Sather too maybe being strong defensively. I'll look and see if he was a high plus in 83.....

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
A right-handed shot, right-wing, as noted. Kurri at his best (1982-83 to 1990 playoffs, with a dash of autumn 1992 in L.A.) was an absolutely incredible player. Though he quickly went into the Hall of Fame and has his accolades, I feel he's still underappreciated.

He wasn't highly touted, but I don't think any Finnish players really were, back then. They were all still somewhat off the radar. In 1979-80, he scored quite a few goals for Jokerit (and 11 points in five games at the World Juniors) but still, as mentioned by Phil, went 69th in the NHL draft.

He wasn't huge, but he was big and strong, incredibly solid on his skates. Hockey Ref. lists him as 6 feet, 194 pounds, which isn't small at all. (He was probably quite a bit lighter in his earlier years.) I don't think I ever saw Kurri throw a physical bodycheck in his entire career, but I did see a few guys bounce off him.

He was equally adept at scoring from powerful slap-shots (often one-timers on Gretzky passes), wrist-shots, or from dekes/snappers in tight. Conversely, I don't think I ever saw him score on a deflection, and only rarely on rebounds from around the crease.

There was a great sense of elegance (relative to hockey, that is!) about the way he played. He was a smooth, graceful skater with measured but steady stickhandling. Even when he was blasting slappers into the top-corner, he seemed to do it with grace and ease.

As a kid, I admired Kurri so much for his sportsmanlike play. I never, ever -- like, ever -- saw the guy strike another player, stick someone, or contact anyone after the whistle. That's why I was pissed when people took unsportsmanlike liberties with him. The Flames brought up Neil Sheehy, who wouldn't have made most AHL teams, to cross-check and whack Gretzky and Kurri, often after they scored. Bob Probert did one of the worst cheap-shots I've ever seen in the '88 playoffs after Gretzky circled the Detroit net after a turnover and hit Kurri for the open-net goal. Well after Kurri scored and raised his arms, Probert cross-checked him hard in the back, sending Kurri to the ice where he was incapacitated for a while, but fortunately seemed not seriously injured (though he wasn't quite as productive after that).

There's also a misperception that Kurri was purely a sniper. In fact, he was a superb playmaker and an excellent defensive player. He was top-10 in assists three times and is 10th overall from 1982 to 1990. And the ten years he played in Edmonton, he went +373, second only to Gretzky in the NHL (higher than guys like Bourque, Mark Howe, and Larry Robinson).

The 4 times Edmonton won the Cup with Gretzky on board, Kurri led the playoffs in goals every time. He also had a 3 goal, 2 assist game in the Finals in 1990. In fact, when he temporarily "retired" in 1990, he left the NHL as the #1 playoff goal-scorer in NHL history. He was incredibly clutch, especially c.1987 to 1990. He scored in overtime in game two of the '87 Finals. He also scored the Cup-winner in game seven. He scored the game-winner in game 1 against Calgary in 1988, late in the third. He then scored the game-tier late in the third the next night, before setting up Gretzky's OT winner. He then scored the OT goal that effectively beat the Red Wings in game four at the Joe. In 1990, he scored the late third-period goal that effectively crushed Winnipeg in game six (and struck again in game 7), and set up Klima's famous OT winner in game one of the Finals (and then, as mentioned, had a five-point game the next night).

Just for fun, check out his three-season stats for 1983-84, 1984-85, and 1985-86: Kurri scored 191 goals in 215 games, while going +162.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He also retired (1998) with most goals and points for a non NA player, obviously has been surpassed since but that was pretty big.

Yeah. He's still pretty high up on the list. Jagr and Selanne have surpassed him but he's still third I think.

I wonder why he didn't register in Calder voting in his first year though. 75 points in 75 games. Had to be ineligible for some reason.

Reactions: Killion

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Like panther said Finns werent that highly sen at the time yet. And euro scouting was far from what is it today. Usually it was odd contact to someone. And it depended on organization too. Euro players already on the team were used to lure others.

Oilers were pretty high on kurri. They used old teammate goalie Hannu Kamppuri to scout him when he was briefly wit Oilers in 78-79. But if Oilers wouldn't been interested kurri could have dropped further. His draft position dont mean much.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
I wonder why he didn't register in Calder voting in his first year though. 75 points in 75 games. Had to be ineligible for some reason.

This intriged me. According to this article it´s because he had played 3 years professional with Jokerit. Don´t remember that rule and weird that Pettersson was eligble, because he had played with Västra Frölunda pro team since 73/74. Guess Pettersson still had amateur status then. Any one that can fill on it?

Calder Dreams: A History of Oilers Rookies

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
A right-handed shot, right-wing, as noted. Kurri at his best (1982-83 to 1990 playoffs, with a dash of autumn 1992 in L.A.) was an absolutely incredible player. Though he quickly went into the Hall of Fame and has his accolades, I feel he's still underappreciated.

He wasn't highly touted, but I don't think any Finnish players really were, back then. They were all still somewhat off the radar. In 1979-80, he scored quite a few goals for Jokerit (and 11 points in five games at the World Juniors) but still, as mentioned by Phil, went 69th in the NHL draft.

He wasn't huge, but he was big and strong, incredibly solid on his skates. Hockey Ref. lists him as 6 feet, 194 pounds, which isn't small at all. (He was probably quite a bit lighter in his earlier years.) I don't think I ever saw Kurri throw a physical bodycheck in his entire career, but I did see a few guys bounce off him.

He was equally adept at scoring from powerful slap-shots (often one-timers on Gretzky passes), wrist-shots, or from dekes/snappers in tight. Conversely, I don't think I ever saw him score on a deflection, and only rarely on rebounds from around the crease.

There was a great sense of elegance (relative to hockey, that is!) about the way he played. He was a smooth, graceful skater with measured but steady stickhandling. Even when he was blasting slappers into the top-corner, he seemed to do it with grace and ease.

As a kid, I admired Kurri so much for his sportsmanlike play. I never, ever -- like, ever -- saw the guy strike another player, stick someone, or contact anyone after the whistle. That's why I was pissed when people took unsportsmanlike liberties with him. The Flames brought up Neil Sheehy, who wouldn't have made most AHL teams, to cross-check and whack Gretzky and Kurri, often after they scored. Bob Probert did one of the worst cheap-shots I've ever seen in the '88 playoffs after Gretzky circled the Detroit net after a turnover and hit Kurri for the open-net goal. Well after Kurri scored and raised his arms, Probert cross-checked him hard in the back, sending Kurri to the ice where he was incapacitated for a while, but fortunately seemed not seriously injured (though he wasn't quite as productive after that).

There's also a misperception that Kurri was purely a sniper. In fact, he was a superb playmaker and an excellent defensive player. He was top-10 in assists three times and is 10th overall from 1982 to 1990. And the ten years he played in Edmonton, he went +373, second only to Gretzky in the NHL (higher than guys like Bourque, Mark Howe, and Larry Robinson).

The 4 times Edmonton won the Cup with Gretzky on board, Kurri led the playoffs in goals every time. He also had a 3 goal, 2 assist game in the Finals in 1990. In fact, when he temporarily "retired" in 1990, he left the NHL as the #1 playoff goal-scorer in NHL history. He was incredibly clutch, especially c.1987 to 1990. He scored in overtime in game two of the '87 Finals. He also scored the Cup-winner in game seven. He scored the game-winner in game 1 against Calgary in 1988, late in the third. He then scored the game-tier late in the third the next night, before setting up Gretzky's OT winner. He then scored the OT goal that effectively beat the Red Wings in game four at the Joe. In 1990, he scored the late third-period goal that effectively crushed Winnipeg in game six (and struck again in game 7), and set up Klima's famous OT winner in game one of the Finals (and then, as mentioned, had a five-point game the next night).

Just for fun, check out his three-season stats for 1983-84, 1984-85, and 1985-86: Kurri scored 191 goals in 215 games, while going +162.

So so cool and interesting! Thanks Panther!

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Had a 102 and 93 season after the Gretzky trade. Of course, Messier was still there, but there is no doubt Kurri held his own throughout his career.

Kurri is one of my all-time favorites. Big Phil is classically underselling & underrating Kurri here by throwing Messier into the conversation, again making that subtle suggestion that Kurri needed a Gretzky or Messier or someone else to put up points. Nonsense.

By the 82-83 season, Glen Sather found two winning forward duos - Gretzky-Kurri & Messier-Anderson - & he kept them together on lines 1 & 2 pretty much forever, with different left wingers slotted in each season. When Gretzky got traded, Kurri was paired with Jimmy Carson. The lines the Oilers ran were Tikkanen-Carson-Kurri & Simpson-Messier-Anderson. Messier & Kurri rarely played together.

In my opinion, Kurri was a key factor in all the Oilers Cup wins, easily always in the top three of Oilers performers, only maybe a hair less valuable than the louder, more brash alpha dog Messier after Gretzky was gone. Kurri was always a top level playoff performer, he could handle the intense pressure but remain cool as a cucumber - the 87 Cup Final against Philly shows how phenomenal he was.: no matter how relentless the Flyers were in their attack, they couldn't rattle him, & he scored all the biggest goals for the Oilers in that series. He just played at such a consistently high level, with great hockey IQ & an underrated quickness with his stick. Soft hands? I would rate only Mike Bossy & Brett Hull as better pure goal scorers than Kurri from that era: yes, he had the greatest set-up man of all time, but he banged them home, & kept banging them home when Carson came in & replaced Gretzky.

He was a truly unique talent, it's not often someone comes along who has a combo of elite sniping skills & Selke-calibre defensive play. His style of play would be coveted today, & I have no doubt that if he was playing today he would be considered the greatest player in the game & be a perennial Hart candidate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sentinel

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
He also retired (1998) with most goals and points for a non NA player, obviously has been surpassed since but that was pretty big.

He was named the 50th best player when THN did that list in 1998. He was interviewed about it and at the beginning of the interview it was brought up and he just sort of smiled and rolled his eyes. Personally, I didn't think he was out of place at 50. Not at all, and not 2o years ago when there were less players that were ahead of him.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Kurri is one of my all-time favorites. Big Phil is classically underselling & underrating Kurri here by throwing Messier into the conversation, again making that subtle suggestion that Kurri needed a Gretzky or Messier or someone else to put up points. Nonsense.

I think I paid him his dues. I called him a HHOFer and probable 50 goal guy even without Gretzky or Messier.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan

By the 82-83 season, Glen Sather found two winning forward duos - Gretzky-Kurri & Messier-Anderson - & he kept them together on lines 1 & 2 pretty much forever, with different left wingers slotted in each season. When Gretzky got traded, Kurri was paired with Jimmy Carson. The lines the Oilers ran were Tikkanen-Carson-Kurri & Simpson-Messier-Anderson. Messier & Kurri rarely played together.

In my opinion, Kurri was a key factor in all the Oilers Cup wins, easily always in the top three of Oilers performers, only maybe a hair less valuable than the louder, more brash alpha dog Messier after Gretzky was gone. Kurri was always a top level playoff performer, he could handle the intense pressure but remain cool as a cucumber - the 87 Cup Final against Philly shows how phenomenal he was.: no matter how relentless the Flyers were in their attack, they couldn't rattle him, & he scored all the biggest goals for the Oilers in that series. He just played at such a consistently high level, with great hockey IQ & an underrated quickness with his stick. Soft hands? I would rate only Mike Bossy & Brett Hull as better pure goal scorers than Kurri from that era: yes, he had the greatest set-up man of all time, but he banged them home, & kept banging them home when Carson came in & replaced Gretzky.

He was a truly unique talent, it's not often someone comes along who has a combo of elite sniping skills & Selke-calibre defensive play. His style of play would be coveted today, & I have no doubt that if he was playing today he would be considered the greatest player in the game & be a perennial Hart candidate.
Even as one of Kurri's biggest fans, I think you went a little overboard here.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Even as one of Kurri's biggest fans, I think you went a little overboard here.

You think?... Takes an extraordinary hockey player to play with Wayne Gretzky & excel the way Kurri did. Probably Edmontons "most complete hockey player" during their salad days so ya, I could see him totally dominating today, full toolbox, mind of, able to channel Gretzky so "Gretzky Lite", and Gretzky Lite I'm sure would knock most of todays players ass over tea kettle one little sip let alone a complete dousing.... so why not Jari Pekka Kurri? Outstanding 2 way player at the same time. That guys forgotten more about the game than most of todays so called Superstars & Coaches.

Reactions: boyko10

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
if you took klay thompson off the golden state warriors would he be one of the best players in the league and be an mvp frontrunner?

i think he could be.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Even though he had two or three very effective seasons as a King, I wonder how he'd be viewed had he stayed retired after the 1990 season.

I have a cheap-o Kurri Oilers home sweater but it's turned a particularly ugly shade of off-white over the years. Like it spent too many years in the press-box with Sather and his cigars or something.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, (mandela effect?), but I thought Kurri played some center back in Finland and converted to wing by the time he played in EDM, could be wrong.
A fantastic player, Gretzky benefited by having him as a linemate.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Ah just thought of something, his #17 hanging from the Rexall Place rafters does anyone know? I don't know the current Oiler roster all that well & know if anyone is donning #17 right now.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
As a kid, I admired Kurri so much for his sportsmanlike play. I never, ever -- like, ever -- saw the guy strike another player, stick someone, or contact anyone after the whistle. That's why I was pissed when people took unsportsmanlike liberties with him. The Flames brought up Neil Sheehy, who wouldn't have made most AHL teams, to cross-check and whack Gretzky and Kurri, often after they scored.

Yes, those mid to late 80's wars between Edmonton and Calgary were something. Interestingly, even though Sheehy played like a rough goon, I think I remember something on a documentary about him going to Harvard. I think George Parros was another intelligent enforcer.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So cool Phil! Thank you for the correction on being a right-hand shot. Some reason I thought left but I am mistaken! That Best Damn Sport show reference was pretty wild/interesting cite too! Sounds like he would've been on the first penalty killing unit for Sather too maybe being strong defensively. I'll look and see if he was a high plus in 83.....

Maybe something to do with Kurri being left handed in general? It was a common misconception back then that left handed were given righty sticks and right handed lefties. I remember how the salesman was confused when I went with my mom to buy my first actual hockey stick (a Torspo) when I wouldn't take the lefty stick . Though it wasn't years later until I played floorball that the benefits began showing. For reference, Teemu Selänne was also a right handed righty.

Reactions: Jim MacDonald

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, (mandela effect?), but I thought Kurri played some center back in Finland and converted to wing by the time he played in EDM, could be wrong.
A fantastic player, Gretzky benefited by having him as a linemate.

Doubt that he played much center in Finland. More other way around I think it was in early 1992-1993 season when Kings started to play Kurri as center and after that he plaed significant time as center. For example in 1991 Canada Cup Team Finlans was still hesitant to play Kurri as center. First they used Tikkanen as the first line center then they brought Janne Ojanen in the line.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Doubt that he played much center in Finland. More other way around I think it was in early 1992-1993 season when Kings started to play Kurri as center and after that he plaed significant time as center. For example in 1991 Canada Cup Team Finlans was still hesitant to play Kurri as center. First they used Tikkanen as the first line center then they brought Janne Ojanen in the line.

was tikkanen a natural center that the oilers converted to LW? i have a vague memory of him playing some center on the canucks, with mogilny on his wing. but i'm not super certain about that. the scoring logs have him playing a lot of LW with ronning and ridley at C, and mogilny at RW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad